Thread: Bloodhound LSR 1000mph

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Default Bloodhound LSR 1000mph

Remember Donald Campbell? And Thrust SSC was amazing....

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I have been following that cars development and build on YT for years.
    I know it's not a small thing but about time they ran the bastard already. There has been a LOT of Millions pumped into so time to put it to use.

Water speed Record Holder Australian Ken Warbys Son has been testing his boat getting ready to see if he can break his dads record. I remember that when I was a kid. Also remember the main sponsor, Fosseys. A clothing store like best and less my mother and grandmother would seem to spend an eternity in while I was bored out my mind.

Always seems funny a company like that would sponsor a water speed record but I guess they got their advertising Dollars returned.... not that it might have done them much good in the end! I also remember the boat being displayed in the local shopping centre after Warby got the record.
    Could still smell the jet fuel in the tail pipe which showed it wasn't a mock up but the real thing.

Would be good to see both records broken. I think especially for the LSR they are getting well into the territory where they will be thinking of a plane sticking itself to the ground on the wheels rather than a land based vehicle as such.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Whilst the land speed record is a noble goal. It has rapidly become impractical to gain any serious information from this. The fact that the vehicles are effectively aircraft without wings makes a mockery of land based craft. They'd be better off developing for a production car than a land based aircraft.

In effect they are flying at ground level.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I find the wheel Driven LSR much more relatable to a car as we know them.

There are other things like the texas mile and records for Piston engined, wheel driven vehicles that incorporate a lot more related to cars than aircraft.
    Even drag racing is still pushing boundaries. Seemed to be cutting it's own throat reducing the 1/4 mile but a few years back when I was shooting Fuelers, they were doing 8000 Hp. Now you have to be doing 10,000 Hp to be in the hunt. Amazing from a 500 CuI engine.

Not so long ago, 1 Hp per cubic inch was a healthy street engine and about double average factory output. 2 Hp per cube was a ball tearer.
    Fuelers are now doing 20 Hp per Cubic inch. That would give the 3l engine in your family car 4000 Hp. They don't produce even a 10 th of that stock.

Then again, they don't run under power for 5 sec (Which is under 300 revolutions from memory) and require a total rebuild or suck down 150L of fuel per KILOMETRE!