Thread: 1.8m AS5

Thanks

Default 1.8m AS5

Hello,

My friend is getting a new satellite and is offering me his old one, it is a 1.8m solid C-band prime focus dish. Would this dish a be enough to receive AsiaSat 5 (100.5E) in Queensland? I have never had a satellite before and I am interested in getting in this stuff.

Thanks.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

It depends.

What channels/transponders on Asiasat 5 are you hoping to receive?

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

golazo (26-07-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by golazo View Post
    Hello,

My friend is getting a new satellite and is offering me his old one, it is a 1.8m solid C-band prime focus dish. Would this dish a be enough to receive AsiaSat 5 (100.5E) in Queensland? I have never had a satellite before and I am interested in getting in this stuff.

Thanks.
    You will certainly get some channels, but as to how many and which once depends on the quality performance of your LNB, Feedhorn and the surface and condition of the dish that it has no dents is very important.

• The Following User Says Thank You to B52 For This Useful Post:

golazo (23-07-19)

Thanks

I was hoping to receive Rai Italia and IMG Asia HD, and the occasional feed. Thanks again.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

I was hoping to receive Rai Italia and IMG Asia HD, and the occasional feed. Thanks again.
    To Small as If you read on this site lately most have trouble getting Rai Italia with a 2.3M dish let alone with a 1.8M dish. As for IMG Asia HD most of the time it is Encrypted in BISS and again 1.8M dish will be to small.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 25-07-19 at 09:32 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

golazo (25-07-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    To Small as If you read on this site lately most have trouble getting Rai Italia with a 2.3M dish let alone with a 1.8M dish. As for IMG Asia HD most of the time it is Encrypted in BISS and again 1.8M dish will be to small.
    The OP's dish is a 1.8m solid.......so should perform about as good as a 2.3m mesh.

RAI is still romping in here (NE Vic)........and IMG is FTA at the moment, but only a Test Pattern titled "IMG Studios HD Test"

RAI currently 97/80 on Strong SRT4922A.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

golazo (25-07-19),tristen (25-07-19)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    The OP's dish is a 1.8m solid......
    A 1.8M offset Prodelin works good but If you have a 5 piece cheap prime focus pebble dish they are not worth A CFOCW. We need the Make and Model of the 1.8M dish.

golazo (25-07-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    IMG is FTA at the moment, but only a Test Pattern titled "IMG Studios HD Test"

RAI currently 97/80 on Strong SRT4922A.
    Yes Test Pattern but until something that come on that is good to watch then it gets encrypted.

golazo (25-07-19)

Thanks

the dish is a Satking 1.8m c-band solid dish medium duty.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

It looks very much like a 1.8m Jonsa petal dish (or similar) to me, which does not equate to a true (one-piece) solid dish.

My feeling is that reception will be marginal on that dish, so inclement weather will also be a factor.

The only way to find out is to "suck it and see".

When planning installation, you will need clear line of sight from the dish to the satellite in question, with no trees or other obstructions in the way.

Use good quality satellite grade co-axial cable as short as possible, with NO KINKS in the cable.
    Last edited by tristen; 25-07-19 at 11:01 PM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

golazo (26-07-19),hinekadon (26-07-19),Thala Dan (25-07-19)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I agree, the dish size and type 'may' be suitable for some transponders, but not others.

It's important to remember that feeds are generally much lower in signal level as they are not intended to be received directly into homes.

The dishes at TV stations are typically solid 5 metres and larger, together with expensive commercial-quality LNB's.

As you said, your friend is offering you the dish (presumably for free) so there's no harm in giving it a go.... many a satellite hobby has been based on doing just that.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

golazo (26-07-19),hinekadon (26-07-19)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

give it a go when you get it lay it face down on a flat concrete pad and put extra bolts thru the ribs (two on each rib between existing ones ) this will stiffen the dish and make it much better "40%" as they distort in the wind and sun . glue a small mirror on the outside of the dish and point it into the sun , the reflections will allow you to get the lnb accurately in the focal point which is very important for signal strength and good to get it in focus , just remember the sun moves quickly across the sky and the mirrors will heat the lnb if you are not careful !! cheers Don

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

golazo (26-07-19)

Thanks

the dish is a Satking 1.8m c-band solid dish medium duty.
    I had a dish like yours for years and tried to use it for Cband but it was very poor and it was useless (NWACFOCW) so I converted it to kuband for the three Optus Sats at 152,156, and 160 Deg. then it was good. Now if you had a Solid spun Andrews 1.8 Dish now that would be different.

golazo (26-07-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    give it a go when you get it lay it face down on a flat concrete pad and put extra bolts thru the ribs (two on each rib between existing ones ) this will stiffen the dish and make it much better "40%" as they distort in the wind and sun . glue a small mirror on the outside of the dish and point it into the sun , the reflections will allow you to get the lnb accurately in the focal point which is very important for signal strength and good to get it in focus , just remember the sun moves quickly across the sky and the mirrors will heat the lnb if you are not careful !! cheers Don
    Yes I did this to my one I got 1/2 inch stainless bolts and large washers and bolted it together and had to file the holes to align it with a 6 inch steel ruler but it still no good for Cband. Maybe the FD ratio was no good or not efficient for Cband

golazo (26-07-19)

Thanks

Thank you for all your help guys, I really appreciate all your help, without you I would be lost I am going to pick up the satellite dish tomorrow and give it a go. If I have no luck I am thinking of getting another satellite dish and having two dishes to lock onto 2 seperate satellites Would you have any dish suggestions that are capable of AS5 (in qld)? Thanks again.

Thanks

Thank you for all your help guys, I really appreciate all your help, without you I would be lost I am going to pick up the satellite dish tomorrow and give it a go. If I have no luck I am thinking of getting another satellite dish and having two dishes to lock onto 2 seperate satellites Would you have any dish suggestions that are capable of AS5 (in qld)? Thanks again.
    Remember you can have a 6 m dish the size of your garage and you will find nothing if the SKEW or the Focal point is wrong so just keep that in mind because this has happened to all of us in the early days of playing with satellite Dishes.
    Now If you want Asiasat 5 @ 100.Deg East try to find out via the guys here what the Most powerful transponder there that is on 24/7. Also pick a Transponder that ONLY QPSK not S2 8PSK. Also pick one with the FEC at 3/4 not 5/6 because having the Modulation of 8PSK and the FEC of 5/6 you wont get Nothing, you need more Grunt to get it. Trust me, most that use a 2.3M dish hate a Modulation of 8PSK and the FEC of 5/6.
    Have fun