Thread: Retention Laws could be used against Aussie pirates.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

Default Retention Laws could be used against Aussie pirates.

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

I find it ironic when people complain about these retention laws, but freely hand over far more data and personal information to the likes of Facebook/Instagram, Google, etc.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

I thought ISP's didn't have to keep records of web traffic & browser history?
    Legislation changed has it?
    At present I imagine it would be almost impossible to store all that info on every Australian internet user, it would probably require many terabytes of storage per day per ISP.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jma View Post
    I thought ISP's didn't have to keep records of web traffic & browser history?
    Legislation changed has it?
    Metadata only, not content. So date/time, IP, email, size, etc for Internet connections and phone number, duration, cell location, etc for phone usage. Browsing history is specifically excluded.

Many companies (in particular telecommunications companies) already collected and retained the data for billing purposes anyway. The retention laws meant this data must be kept for 2 years, but many companies were already keeping it far longer.

The point I was making however, is that while some individuals fight for their metadata to be ‘protected’ from offical government sources, they freely provide full identifying details to third-party companies, who openly advertise that they process/use/sell this data for their own benefit.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    The point I was making however, is that while some individuals fight for their metadata to be ‘protected’ from offical government sources, they freely provide full identifying details to third-party companies, who openly advertise that they process/use/sell this data for their own benefit.
    Yeah I understand that & actually find it somewhat amusing what people share without giving it a second thought.

I guess I was thinking out loud about what can be done under current legislation rather than future.
    Governments can close loopholes like the one mentioned in the , will not surprise me if they don't.