Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which GPS is best for alerting you to going over speed limit?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Default Which GPS is best for alerting you to going over speed limit?

Hi Yawl,

In light of my recent ticket I require a gps that has accurate reporting of speed limits including school zones. If I'm going to buy one it has to be good.
    Needs to get regular updates too.
    What other features do I need?
    How does this live traffic updates work and how does it get it's updates? Is it via your phone and wifi?

Cheers,
    Leroy

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Sygic works very well on Android head units

Updates over WiFi or Bluetooth via your phone

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks

It's a work van so need something to use in that.
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

My Garmin seems to work quite well.

However... you can't rely completely on ANY device as often speed zones can change and not be updated on GPS software databases for a while and some are incorrect.

It's a bit like totally relying on a GPS to provide accurate turn-by-turn instructions... eventually, you'll be directed to go somewhere you can't go... dead end street, can't turn in a particular direction, etc.

As with all these navigation devices, they are an 'assistant'..... not a total solution.

The best way is to observe speed and information signs and keep an eye on your speedo. Where possible, use cruise control.

Live traffic updates are generally transmitted on some FM radio station sub-carriers and is only available in mostly-metro areas.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (30-07-19),Thala Dan (29-07-19),Tiny (30-07-19),tristen (30-07-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Have you considered the Waze app Leroy? Gives over speed warnings, warnings for speed/redlight cams and crowd sources mobile speed cameras and police traps. The app is widely used, so the crowd source data is quite accurate, especially so on well travelled routes.

Being an ‘online’ map the map itself it always up to date. Plus it warns you of traffic, collisions, roadworks, etc.

Not sure about school zones however. It may be smart enough to drop the speed automatically in school zones, but may need to be tested.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

gulliver (31-07-19),LeroyPatrol (30-07-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I've found Eye Balls to be the best.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (29-07-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

I use a Garmin Drive60 in each of two vehicles.

It’s bloody insistent when you go over the limit (worse than the missus), but……

If you’re driving around the NE Vic area you have to be careful with it.

For example, although I’ve had both units for a few years, and update them fairly regularly, they both still think that Gapsted to Wang via Snow road is still mostly 80k limit….despite it actually being 100 most of the way.

The stretch of road between Myrtleford and Bright where the limit is dropped from 100 to 80 during winter due to ice issues is flagged all year as 80…..yet it is only 80 for a few months of winter.

There are a number of other roads in the area, some of them not insignificant, that I’ve found to be consistently incorrect despite the updates.

Not sure how Garmin sources its update information, but the update system doesn’t appear to be working real well in this area.

A recent trip up to Port Macquarie via the western highways was practically faultless….so maybe it’s a Victorian thing?

Other issue to bear in mind is the update lag of the GPS in real time…..if you unknowingly hit an 80 zone doing 100, at that speed you can be well into the “danger zone” before the GPS updates and sounds the alarm….a sufficiently long delay if somebody is sitting just inside the speed zone sign waiting for easy pickings.

Having said that, the Garmin does give you about a 400m warning of an approaching change in speed limit…both visual and audible.

It does warn you of school zones, even when they are very near to you but not actually on your direct route.

Like MTV said, they are a handy aid, but don’t bet your life, or your licence, on them.
    Last edited by Thala Dan; 29-07-19 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    The best way is to observe speed and information signs and keep an eye on your speedo. Where possible, use cruise control.
    Agreed.....but I've found that glancing down at the speedo frequently is a PITA, and at times downright dangerous.

In todays smooth, quiet, auto cars, it's very easy to creep up over the limit, particularly in a 60 zone, without noticing.

Constantly looking down at the speedo with a bit of traffic around, and side streets, traffic lights, etc, can be a bit of a trap.

I have the Garmin set up to display Speed in one of its on-screen data boxes, but again you're up against GPS update time, and the fact that the unit is mounted to one side of centre, still requiring a quick glance away from the road ahead.

So, I got one of these:

Plugs into the OBDII socket, and you can position it so that the speed appears on the windscreen directly in your line-of-sight.

This one shows more info than I really need/want....I think you can get ones that just display speed...they generally come with a translucent stick-on reflecting screen to improve the image on the windscreen.

Being plugged into the OBD data stream, they display speed in real time.....this particular unit has a calibration capability so you can set it a few k's higher than actual if you want a bit of a safety margin....also means you can adjust for different tyres if that's an issue.

Windscreen display means you never have to take your eyes off the road....which I find is a plus.

Footnote: Beware the similar units that operate off GPS....apparently the GPS update time of these el-cheapo units is pretty horrendous.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

I have two Garmin Smart Drive 61 and there worth every cent I spent on them . Now The VF Commodore Garmin is connected to my after Market HUD where it get a ACCURATE SPEED the car is doing + Battery Voltage ,RPM, Temp, your driving Tired warning , also Bring up engine codes + you can set the HUD to bring up ALARMS (Screech at you) If your Volts are up or down your temp is to low for your time the engine has started or to high Temp + OVER SPEED at 1 kph settings

I think Member Thala Dan spoke about a convenient HUD.
    First thing I did I bought TWO of the best HUD available. One to use and one to pull it apart to modify it. (Actually I got 3 because I Fu.k one)

The Photo below shows my original switch (Left Photo) and dimmer for the dash. The Right photo shows the newly purchased Holden HUD setup where I had to CUT OFF the switch on the right (up and Down)

The photo below shows the modified unit as the electronic were modified + the up/down button was cut off as I dont need it to scroll through the settings.

The photo below shows all units have been modified and ready to fit in there fascia

The Photo below shows the HOOD (not the HUD). Yes I purchased the original HOOD with RED stitches to match the stitches of the rest of the car + the origin HUD adapter so I can fit my Aftermarket HUD in.

The Photo below shows everything back together. The switch on the right is Normal for the Head Lights, the one in the Middle scrolls through the Menu for the After Marker HUD. and the one on the Left turn ON and OFF THE HUD + use it to READ ENGINE CODES and Display on the screen what Code you engine has a Issue!!!!

The photo below shows the HUD at work. The top right shows the engine has been operating for 1 Min.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (30-07-19),Thala Dan (30-07-19)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Leroy, they are worth the money, Also where ever you get get one that you can get the HACKED updates for schools + all RED Light and Fixed Speed cameras with out paying more yearly $$$ for it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post

This one shows more info than I really need/want....I think you can get ones that just display speed...they generally come with a translucent stick-on reflecting screen to improve the image on the windscreen.
    My HUD is the Brightest one available at the end of 2016 and its Auto so the darker the day get the darker the LED becomes. My one I did not use a translucent stick-on reflecting screen to improve the image on the windscreen as it was to damm bright but if you look at the screen at your angle in height you wont get the double image.
    Now Back on topic
    Anything you can get to help you keep away from those Cash registers and at the same time keep your eyes on the road is good for you.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 30-07-19 at 01:38 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (30-07-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,917 Times in 1,280 Posts

Wife
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

Thanks

@Mr 672A,

Referencing your photo of the Commodore dash on the "crap week" thread......thought I'd post this here as it's more aligned to this thread topic.

You might be interested on this handy accessory for your Drive GPS.

I have them fitted to both my DRIVE60s and they make an incredible difference:

Got them on eBay from the UK....couldn't find them on any Oz websites.

Also fitted the GPS screens with matte non-reflective screen protectors.......which also helps in bright sunlight conditions.

Bought these iPhone protectors on eBay.....with a slight trim at one end they fit the Garmin 6" screen perfectly.

Pack of three for $3.99 including postage is pretty good value.

The combination of the visor and anti-reflective protector makes the Garmin a lot easier to use in bright sunlight.

And yeah....the rabbits foot on the dash does seem to help.....so far

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (31-07-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SS Dave View Post
    Wife
    You've got to be kidding me!

You've obviously not towed a 22' caravan all around Australia relying entirely on that navigation aid

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,917 Times in 1,280 Posts

I not saying as a navigation device only for your speeding device in a screeching voice.
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (30-07-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SS Dave View Post
    I not saying as a navigation device only for your speeding device in a screeching voice.
    Grovelling apologies......you speak a truth that can only be acquired from years of painful experience

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    My Garmin seems to work quite well.

However... you can't rely completely on ANY device as often speed zones can change and not be updated on GPS software databases for a while and some are incorrect.

It's a bit like totally relying on a GPS to provide accurate turn-by-turn instructions... eventually, you'll be directed to go somewhere you can't go... dead end street, can't turn in a particular direction, etc.

As with all these navigation devices, they are an 'assistant'..... not a total solution.

Live traffic updates are generally transmitted on some FM radio station sub-carriers and is only available in mostly-metro areas.

I wouldn't bet my life on it but use it as an aid. It prob would have saved me the other day but I know they aren't fallible!
    I've done 80,000km in the last 15 months so I've done ok to not get a ticket. I use my cruise control all the time in all zones where I can.
    I had the iPhone take me to a paddock just before I got the ticket. It said park here and you have to walk. What tha??
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

nice work there Mr 672A

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    I use a Garmin Drive60 in each of two vehicles.

It’s bloody insistent when you go over the limit (worse than the missus), but……

If you’re driving around the NE Vic area you have to be careful with it.

For example, although I’ve had both units for a few years, and update them fairly regularly, they both still think that Gapsted to Wang via Snow road is still mostly 80k limit….despite it actually being 100 most of the way.

The stretch of road between Myrtleford and Bright where the limit is dropped from 100 to 80 during winter due to ice issues is flagged all year as 80…..yet it is only 80 for a few months of winter.

There are a number of other roads in the area, some of them not insignificant, that I’ve found to be consistently incorrect despite the updates.

Not sure how Garmin sources its update information, but the update system doesn’t appear to be working real well in this area.

A recent trip up to Port Macquarie via the western highways was practically faultless….so maybe it’s a Victorian thing?

Other issue to bear in mind is the update lag of the GPS in real time…..if you unknowingly hit an 80 zone doing 100, at that speed you can be well into the “danger zone” before the GPS updates and sounds the alarm….a sufficiently long delay if somebody is sitting just inside the speed zone sign waiting for easy pickings.

Having said that, the Garmin does give you about a 400m warning of an approaching change in speed limit…both visual and audible.

It does warn you of school zones, even when they are very near to you but not actually on your direct route.

Like MTV said, they are a handy aid, but don’t bet your life, or your licence, on them.
    Know all those N.E. roads as I'm almost on all of them weekly!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    nice work there Mr 672A
    We all today need to use any aids to help us to drive our cars without being booked. For me Its extremely Hard as the Stroke I had gave a very short Memory to a point that when I drive I continually forget any road sign including the Speed limit and because of this I drive 98% of the time with my Daughter or the wife and I still have the Sat Nav to tell me the speed limit on that road when when I drive the Newer car I have conflicts between the NEW car Sat nav and the Garmin Smart Drive 61 speed but I know the Garmin is correct and the Genuine Holden Sat nav is useless. In all our area approx 50 square K's that i drive I only have one road where the Garmin give the wrong speed (80 should be 70, just change 4 weeks ago) but for my Link the Holden Sat nav I have over 30 mistakes.
    This is what use to happen before I got the Garmin and drive the Older car with NO aids. On our back roads I would have 10 cars following me and no one in front of me and I dont know/forgot the Speed limit, Am I speeding, or going to slow so I used to pull over and follow the last car so the first car will most likely get booked on a hand held radar. Today I drive on the same road and I might still have 10 cars following me but the sat nav tells me the Speed limit is 80 and I drive at 80 and forget about the people behind me.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 31-07-19 at 10:12 AM.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast