Thread: Puplic eduaction on 000 with mobile phones needed.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,927 Times in 1,283 Posts

Default Puplic eduaction on 000 with mobile phones needed.

It's all over the news Kid fell down cliff face then rather than call 000 his mate's called the kid's dad using SIRI because the phone was locked if he looked at screen when tiring to use his phone is has Emergency on screen tap it and a 000 (911 or what ever the local emergency number is) call is made even with no sim card or credit. Android has the same feature.

SS Dave
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

That is interesting, I never knew that myself.
    So any mobile can ring 000 with no SIM card.... I wonder what details are recorded by the receiving party?
    Obviously no phone number is recorded.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks

It's been that way for ages even most analog phones could. In the early day's Ericson had problem because some of there phones could not call 000 from a locked phone so a note was put in the box in case of needing to call 000 from a locked phone use 0000 or 911

I have not tested it but have been told 911 will work here from a digital phone.

SS Dave

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

You can also call 112

When calling from a mobile telephone

Triple Zero (000) is Australia's primary telephone number to call for assistance in life threatening or time critical emergency situations.

112 is a secondary emergency number that can be dialled from mobile phones in Australia. Special capabilities, including roaming, once only existed when dialling 112, however mobile phones manufactured since January 2002 also provide these capabilities when dialling Triple Zero (000) to access the Emergency Call Service.

There is a misconception that 112 calls will be carried by satellite if there is no mobile coverage. Satellite phones use a different technology and your mobile phone cannot access a satellite network.

Important – if there is no mobile coverage on any network, you will not be able to reach the Emergency Call Service via a mobile phone, regardless of which number you dialled.

To find out more about calling Triple Zero (000) from a mobile telephone, visit the Australian Communications and Media Authority website.

112—International standard emergency number

Triple Zero (000) is Australia's primary telephone number to call for assistance in life threatening or time critical emergency situations. Dialling 112 directs you to the same Triple Zero (000) call service and does not give your call priority over Triple Zero (000).

112 is an international standard emergency number which can only be dialled on a digital mobile phone. It is accepted as a secondary international emergency number in some parts of the world, including Australia, and can be dialled in areas of GSM network coverage with the call automatically translated to that country’s emergency number. It does not require a simcard or pin number to make the call, however phone coverage must be available (any carrier) for the call to proceed.

There is no advantage to dialling 112 over Triple Zero (000). Calls to 112 do not go to the head of the queue for emergency services, and it is not true that it is the only number that will work on a mobile phone.

Dialling 112 from a fixed line telephone in Australia (including payphones) will not connect you to the emergency call service as it is only available from digital mobile phones.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

SS Dave (01-08-19),Tiny (02-08-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I knew there was a different number but could not remember it.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

This has been the case since early mobile days. Any phone, regardless of sim presence or locked status can call emergence 000, 911 or 112
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I remember 112 but can't remember why it's that number?