Thread: Intelsat 19 166E recption on a 6 foot(1.8meter) dish C band?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Smile Intelsat 19 166E recption on a 6 foot(1.8meter) dish C band?

I have an old 6 foot/1.8meter solid dish Aluminium. I Could set it up as a C band to get I-19 166E. One site says to use a 2.3meter/7'6" foot dish another said a 6 foot/1.8 meter would work. any body tried this? I live about 15 Kms south of Brisbane, Qld. which is on the border of the change for a larger dish. I would thank any info.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

A solid dish is generally considered to perform typically one size larger that a mesh dish on C-Band, so a 1.8m solid has an equivalent performance of a 2.3m mesh dish.

Based on that, it should be fine, although you didn't mention which channels/service/transponders on IS19 C-Band you are hoping to receive, as most are encrypted.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

bellesdad (04-08-19)

Thanks

I have a friend in Brisbane who lives in a townhouse with a small backyard using a 1.8mt mesh dish and gets most of the main transponders on Int19 without any issue, so a 1.8mt sold should be serviceable. Well he used to, he might confirm as he is on this forum.

• The Following User Says Thank You to cmoore For This Useful Post:

bellesdad (04-08-19)

Thanks

My mate has a 1.8 M Solid Paraclipse Dish with an old Calamp 22k LNB and pick up most of the channels off Intelsat 19C, I got a 2.3M Strong Mesh Dish with 17K Zinwell and will only pick up 3 -5 channels off Intelsat 19C.,I got another 2.4M Mesh dish that I will try when the weather picks up..

• The Following User Says Thank You to CONAXLE For This Useful Post:

bellesdad (04-08-19)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

I live in North Brisbane and get most of the Channels on Int 19 Cband using a Prodolin Offset 1.8M

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

bellesdad (04-08-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default Send me message

I'll tell you in a message

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bellesdad View Post
    I'll tell you in a message
    Eh?

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

bellesdad (07-08-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bellesdad View Post
    I have an old 6 foot/1.8meter solid dish Aluminium. I Could set it up as a C band to get I-19 166E. One site says to use a 2.3meter/7'6" foot dish another said a 6 foot/1.8 meter would work. any body tried this? I live about 15 Kms south of Brisbane, Qld. which is on the border of the change for a larger dish. I would thank any info.
    It looks like I put the dish too close to my garage have to move it out about 16 inches (40 cm) or move it to another spot
    Last edited by bellesdad; 11-08-19 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Group 1 Owner
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 742 Posts

I'm 20km South of Brisbane and get 'everything' that is possible via 2.3M mesh. Motorised. Used several LNB's most with same result. I19 easiest to get from here.
    Cheers, Saintaholic

• The Following User Says Thank You to Saintaholic For This Useful Post:

bellesdad (18-08-19)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    Eh?
    in a PM message

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saintaholic View Post
    I'm 20km South of Brisbane and get 'everything' that is possible via 2.3M mesh. Motorised. Used several LNB's most with same result. I19 easiest to get from here.
    Funny thing is every one that lives in Brisbane live South of Brisbane or close to the Gold Coast but No one lives North of Brisbane, south of Caboolture. Yes the same here I getting everything that possible on a 1.8M offset dish on Intel 19 Cband.
    Bellesdad needs to get a 3m Dish, (A next size up)The correct decoder, install it, then enjoy.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 12-08-19 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    Funny thing is every one that lives in Brisbane live South of Brisbane or close to the Gold Coast but No one lives North of Brisbane, south of Caboolture. Yes the same here I getting everything that possible on a 1.8M offset dish on Intel 19 Cband.
    Bellesdad needs to get a 3m Dish, (A next size up)The correct decoder, install it, then enjoy.
    I'm only just south of the river, near the Gateway bridge, towards the city, and I have a friend that was in Deception Bay, He has a 3.2m solid that was looking at IS19...That dish is about to be relocated to Wavell Heights where it will be reinstalled.

I had estimated that a 1.8m mesh should be the minimum for IS19 in the Brisbane area given the C band footprint. I have a 1.8m solid and 2.3m mesh, and when I have the real estate to do it, I'm looking at a 3.2m solid the same as my friend has.
    I can see everything on IS19 C band on the 1.8m solid, it's a genuine Andrew dish that was used for an 8 GHz link in it's past life, which is where our solid dishes come from.

A 3.2m solid dish is starting to become quite serious, and needs a very good footing to support it, good sail area in the wind, and some space around it if you want to use a mover on it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to VK4TIM For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (05-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VK4TIM View Post
    it's a genuine Andrew dish that was used for an 8 GHz link in it's past life,
    Andrews Good Quality Dish. I have a 1.8 OFFSet Prodelin CBand Dish that is parked on Int 19 and I've had this dish for over 20 years and it still look reasonable new. The Dish itself is Fibre Glass the rest is Galvanized and its super heavy Duty.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    Andrews Good Quality Dish. I have a 1.8 OFFSet Prodelin CBand Dish that is parked on Int 19 and I've had this dish for over 20 years and it still look reasonable new. The Dish itself is Fibre Glass the rest is Galvanized and its super heavy Duty.
    If it’s the dish I am thinking of it is huge for a 1.8mt looks the shape of an egg. We used them for a few people for 180e ku French service in the early 2000s They cook on ku I reckon they had more gain then a Paraclipde equivalent. As it was an offset it was virtually pointing into the ground as the look angle over here is low. Super heavy duty mount is an understatement. I can’t remeber how much concrete we had to pour for the pole but it was impressive.

I have a couple of paraclipse solids here and they still look as new after 20 years.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore View Post
    If it’s the dish I am thinking of it is huge for a 1.8mt looks the shape of an egg. We used them for a few people for 180e ku French service in the early 2000s They cook on ku I reckon they had more gain then a Paraclipde equivalent. As it was an offset it was virtually pointing into the ground as the look angle over here is low. Super heavy duty mount is an understatement. I can’t remeber how much concrete we had to pour for the pole but it was impressive.

I have a couple of paraclipse solids here and they still look as new after 20 years.
    Mind you I purchased it second hand 20 years ago so how old is it really. I'll take a pic of it and post it later. Yes this Prodelin could last for 100 years or more and the only thing that can fail is the twin LNB's set up (think if Orthomode ) Keeping the LNb's out the sun and rain slowly kills them so I have a correct size PLASTIC Bucket over the LNB'd covering them and most of the feed horn itself.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 06-09-19 at 09:45 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore View Post

Here is a pic for you cmoore.
    This is my 1.8m Prodelin and it will last longer than me. The Pole in the middle is smaller than you can fit up it but the pole now is Steam pipe. The feed is orthomode and the LNB's are hidden under a plastic bucket to protect them from the environment. Have a look in one photo as it show you the dish + plastic bucket, the other photo shows the orthomode. I use stainless steel bolts, take note with the stainless screws as the Slots face to 6 to 12 O'clock, some days depending my health and mood I put them 3 to 9 o'clock. LOL.

Arghhh, I have one cable tie missing in the middle of the pole, broke off two days ago. OHHH It time for solar outage, look at the middle

I have re painted this orthomode at least 3 times in 20 years, after the last effort I used Stainless Steel bolts ONLY.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 07-09-19 at 04:02 PM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

carjackma (07-09-19),hinekadon (07-09-19),tristen (08-09-19)