Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hilux LSD for Hiace

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    Classic:

Offer him $100

The BF Goodrich on the Plumbers iLoad look like this, you can see why he doesn't get stuck

Wow....you'd hear him coming a mile down the road on the bitumen

In Victoria the maximum width of any replacement rim can’t be more than 25mm, or one inch greater than the widest wheel specified by the manufacturer for that vehicle or model.
    The overall diameter of the rim can’t be more than 15mm more than manufacturer specifications, while the rim and tyre are also not allowed to foul the bodywork or suspension.
    I'm guessing that the 15mm overall rim diameter increase limit is why the 16" Falcon rims don't make RWC?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    Wow....you'd hear him coming a mile down the road on the bitumen

I'm guessing that the 15mm overall rim diameter increase limit is why the 16" Falcon rims don't make RWC?
    I was never done because for RIM size, i was done for a passenger tyre on a commercial vehicle
    Lucky the local Bob Jane was so kind, he had a set of stock Hiace rims and tyres and fitted them for free, i flew back, got he RWC, then straight back to Bob Jane to swap the wheels again
    Real customer service.
    But the business doing the RWC, would simply not provide a RWC with Passenger tyres fitted to a commercial vehicle.
    His words anyway... I'm sure this is correct.

That may have been an old post, i see VicRoads allows 25mm increase.
    Yet i think this pertains the the overall size (hence you can have a larger rim with smaller tyre) ???
    There are posts on Whirlpool about this exact topic, not sure if i can post the link here? Or how accurate the info is

Mick Cherry a Plumber in your area might be worth a chat
    Last edited by ol' boy; 03-08-19 at 02:36 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

I was never done because for RIM size, i was done for a passenger tyre on a commercial vehicle
    Lucky the local Bob Jane was so kind, he had a set of stock Hiace rims and tyres and fitted them for free, i flew back, got he RWC, then straight back to Bob Jane to swap the wheels again
    Real customer service.
    But the business doing the RWC, would simply not provide a RWC with Passenger tyres fitted to a commercial vehicle.
    His words anyway... I'm sure this is correct.

That may have been an old post, i see VicRoads allows 25mm increase.
    Yet i think this pertains the the overall size (hence you can have a larger rim with smaller tyre) ???
    There are pots on Whirlpool about this exact topic, not sure if i can post the link here?
    No worries, mate, I'll check it out.

Customer service like that is as rare as rocking horse poop these days....unfortunately.

Off to lunch.....catch ya later.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I read this when you first posted, seems there is a solution
    But once again, comes down to year model

Last edited by ol' boy; 03-08-19 at 02:44 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (03-08-19)

Thanks

We could damn near start a new thread on this subject of tyres.....

First up......glad I didn't buy those Falcon rims on Gumtree....turns out my Hiace rims are six stud, and the Falcon rims are five stud.

Wondering what configuration is your Hiace?

Second up......I think the reason you got knocked back on the RWC was not just because your tyres didn't have a "C" or "LT" on them......I think it is because the regs state that any substitute tyre must have, as a minimum, the same Load Index as the original tyres specified by the manufacturer.

A light motor vehicle (under 4.5 tonne GVM) which is required to comply with ADR 24/... or
    ADR 42/04 may be equipped with tyres other than those listed on the tyre placard provided that:
     the load rating of the tyres is not less than the lowest load rating listed on the tyre
    placard of the vehicle or equivalent variant of that model vehicle;

The original tyres on the Hiace (in my case Bridgestone RD-613) have a Load Index of 106 (950kg) ....from what I can tell, your Michelin Primacy 3ST have a Load Index of 99 (775 kg).

See here:

(hit the "show all tyre sizes" button)

So I think you lost out because you were 175kg/wheel short in the load department.

If you scroll down that table linked above you'll see that the highest Load Index for the Primacy is 104 (900kg) in an 18" tyre.

Load Index and Speed Symbols covered pretty well here:

(if I'm telling you how to suck eggs, my apologies in advance )

I've been researching this tyre thing since after lunch and my damn head is spinning....that VSB14 Section LS that I linked has a lot of info about substitute tyres you might find interesting.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I had different tyres at the time of RWC, but most likely a similar rating.
    The mechanic didn't even look that hard, just noticed they weren't LT or 8 Ply and said "Nope"

As i mentioned early on, i was well aware of the Passenger Tyres on Commercial vehicle issue, but the Grip, Handling and better Braking far out weighed some reg.
    30 years of driving a Van in all conditions taught me the hard way what tyre works and what tyre conforms to the rules... I'll go with what works.
    I'd like to feel safe every day, then be "Right" one day out of 10,000

I'm sure i've avoided many incidents by having a superior tyre and its not like i haul 1 tonne around.
    But i well understand your concerns, keeping it 100% legal might be hard
    Why they invented VW Synco's

I've had mates in accidents and claim insurance without a single question running the same.

And sorry about the Ford Rims stud pattern thing, i thought at was a straight swap, always used to be.
    Obviously changed in later model Hiaces... Yes mine are 5 stud

These meet the load rating, but... yeah.....
    Last edited by ol' boy; 03-08-19 at 07:19 PM.

Thala Dan (03-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

ask in the 4wd forums if the hilux lsd is any good. I remember older models and landcruiser ones weren't that flash. Patrol and Pajero ones were always very good. You might be better off going for a locker.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (03-08-19),Tiny (05-08-19),VroomVroom (05-08-19)

Thanks

Thanks OB.....still keeping an open mind about it all.

I'm going to keep working the numbers because I'm sure that somehow I can get some better grip on the ground and still be legal.

The tread pattern on that Goodride looks very similar to the tread pattern on the Continental ContiVanContact® 100 I linked to earlier....good load index (1000kg) but I still like the idea of something wider and softer.

Don't worry about the Falcon rims mate......I've had the Hiace parked here for almost two years now, and I didn't know the damn things were six stud.....looks like 2015 must have brought in quite a few changes in the Hiace.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    ask in the 4wd forums if the hilux lsd is any good. I remember older models and landcruiser ones weren't that flash. Patrol and Pajero ones were always very good. You might be better off going for a locker.
    Thanks Leroy.........I'll have a yarn to this Diff crowd in Newcastle on Monday....could even be that the Hilux/Hiace compatibility disappeared with the 2015 Hiace rework.

If I did get a LSD, it wouldn't be having a very hard life.......just getting me off some wet grass or sand once in a while......my days of bush-bashing are long gone

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Have fun, whatever you choose to do. I had a Nissan Vanette way back last century, we did all sorts of things in it that 4wds could not do, only 'cause it was lighter and I picked my line. One year we even did the Stuart Hwy when it was closed to all traffic, and made it. Only problem we had was mud being thrown up, and blocking the radiator. Every puddle I saw, I went through the middle just to wash the mud off. Only got caught once. Diff & gearbox filled up with muddy water on that one. Sold the car not long after and replaced it with another one.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (05-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

+1 for air lockers , or the electrically activated type as used in the 2015+ Prado , Fortuner and Hilux , which are all 6 stud by the way.

LSDs are fine in the most part but need to be in very good condition to work properly , once they have a few ks on them they are much less efficient.

• The Following User Says Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (05-08-19)

Thanks

Well, spoke to Mathew at Newcastle Diffs……interesting.

They can do the Hilux-Hiace transplant (they only replace the Hemisphere) for around $1000. He didn’t have a Hilux unit on hand, and would have to check how soon he could get one.

Asked him his opinion of the Hilux LSD – he said they weren’t as good as they used to be – less clutch plates in them now – he didn’t seem real enthusiastic (you were onto something there, Leroy).
    He then went on to say that they are replacing quite a few Hilux LSD’s these days with Truetrac diffs.

He explained that the Truetrak diff works on a different principle – uses a worm gear drive instead of clutch plates – advantages are far less wear problems, and can use conventional diff oil.

Estimates cost (supply and fit) is around $1500, and unit is available overnight.
    Needs the vehicle for the day to do the work.

Talking to him, he clearly knew what he was talking about.

If I go ahead with this , think I’ll go the Truetrac route – better to do the job only once.
    Last edited by Thala Dan; 05-08-19 at 11:46 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (05-08-19),ol' boy (05-08-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I wonder if that is different to an Eaton Detroitt Diff Locker?
    Great it works in reverse

Thanks

I wonder if that is different to an Eaton Detroitt Diff Locker?
    Great it works in reverse
    Full explanation here, OB:

What’s The Diff? We Look at Lockers and Limited Slips with EATON

Locker, Posi, limited slip; they are all the same, right? You might think so if you buy into the literature put out by some OE vehicle manufacturers. More than one of them calls out a limited-slip-device as a locker in the rear axle of the vehicle they’re selling. But what is the difference? There are big differences in the way they perform, how they work, and in what sort of driving conditions they are best used in.

We decided to go to EATON for the low down on differentials. It manufactures four basic types of differentials for the automotive performance aftermarket: the Detroit Locker, EATON Posi, Detroit Trutrac, and the EATON ELocker. All can help your vehicle increase its traction capabilities. Each is a different design, operates differently, and have some application overlaps and specialties. To help us dig in and get some traction on the subject, we talked to Craig Creager at EATON.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (05-08-19)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Our 2007 Hilux SR5 4x4, LSD is useless, spins the right rear wheel around corners on gravel & bitumen even at slow speeds just doing a U-turn or a simple right hand turn.
    It turns left excellently.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (05-08-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I can concur. The Landcruiser 100 series Limited Slip Diff should be renamed the Limited Grip Diff.

I've seen a few YouTubers i follow install the Eaton products, until Thala pointed it out, i didn't realise they had so many products.
    I see now a lot of 4WDers run the True Trac in the front and run the "No Spin" in the rear.

They would be great in a Merc Sprinter or similar, those big LWB Vans are constantly de-weighting rear wheels
    I think if you locked the rear of my Hiace, the clutch would be doing all the spinning
    Last edited by ol' boy; 05-08-19 at 06:08 PM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

I can concur. The Landcruiser 100 series Limited Slip Diff should be renamed the Limited Grip Diff.
    I bought the best Landcruiser then, '96 80 series GXL AWD 5sp manual with push button diff lock & auto diff lock for low range. I can't fault it.
    Drive it anywhere; it will do it & it will not lose traction.
    Oh & it's EFI petrol, none of that DPF shit for me.
    Last edited by Tiny; 05-08-19 at 06:48 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I bought the best Landcruiser then, '96 80 series GXL AWD 5sp manual with push button diff lock & auto diff lock for low range. I can't fault it.
    Drive it anywhere; it will do it & it will not lose traction.
    Oh & it's EFI petrol, none of that DPF shit for me.
    Interesting, my friend has a '97 80 series GXL with a 1HZ, it has no Axel Diff Locks, just a centre Diff Lock, like all LC's come with.
    Does yours have the rotary switch factory lockers?

Last edited by ol' boy; 05-08-19 at 09:02 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Isn't that the centre diff lock because it's an AWD? So then it becomes like a normal 4WD when the centre diff lock is actuated. Then Toyota also had front and rear diff lock options.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I've seen a few YouTubers i follow install the Eaton products

Head to 6:05 min or the True Trac

Thala Dan (05-08-19)

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast