Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hilux LSD for Hiace

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    Head to 6:05 min or the True Trac
    Thanks, OB.......more grist for the mill.

Found a bloke in Wodonga today who does the Truetrac modification.........like the Newcastle crowd, he was of the opinion that it was a better way to go than a refurbished Hilux unit.

Top-of-the-head quote was a bit dearer than the Newcastle number, but he's going to email me a formal quote, so I'm hoping he might sharpen his pencil a bit.

Starting to think seriously now about getting this done before trout opening early September.........keep you posted.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (06-08-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    Thanks, OB.......more grist for the mill.

Found a bloke in Wodonga today who does the Truetrac modification.........like the Newcastle crowd, he was of the opinion that it was a better way to go than a refurbished Hilux unit.

Top-of-the-head quote was a bit dearer than the Newcastle number, but he's going to email me a formal quote, so I'm hoping he might sharpen his pencil a bit.

Starting to think seriously now about getting this done before trout opening early September.........keep you posted.
    That is great
    I also found that Prado 120 Alloy wheels fit your Hiace, but a better choice might be the Hilux SR5 alloys
    Sets can be found with correctly rated LT tyres for not much if that is still an option.

The Hilux SR5 are nice looking rim in 15" or 16"
    At least it gets you in the market for a more common tyre size.

For stock rims, these seems great for the price

Nice Locker choice for the Landcruiser too
    Last edited by ol' boy; 06-08-19 at 10:00 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (07-08-19)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Interesting, my friend has a '97 80 series GXL with a 1HZ, it has no Axel Diff Locks, just a centre Diff Lock, like all LC's come with.
    Does yours have the rotary switch factory lockers?
    No mate. it's this one, just the centre diff lock.

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Isn't that the centre diff lock because it's an AWD? So then it becomes like a normal 4WD when the centre diff lock is actuated. Then Toyota also had front and rear diff lock options.
    Correct, you win the diff lock trivia competition.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member
    Thanks

I thought that switch was for turning right.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

LeroyPatrol (06-08-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

This is another LSD/Locker i have seen around, it appeals to those not wanting to spend as much as Air or Elec Lockers.
    Or have the hassles of onboard air or wiring and switches
    Might be a pricing option for you, yet the operation might be a bit noisy.... The Eaton looks better.

or

Very similar to the Spartan Locker

I could not agree more with this article:
    Tyre Pressures have got me out of every situation so far.

Great to know these fit the Hiace

Very interesting write up about the Hilux/Hiace diff...... Affectionately known as the Japanese 9 inch
    Last edited by ol' boy; 06-08-19 at 02:40 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (07-08-19),VroomVroom (07-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

I could not agree more with this article:
    Tyre Pressures have got me out of every situation so far.

Great to know these fit the Hiace

Very interesting write up about the Hilux/Hiace diff...... Affectionately known as the Japanese 9 inch
    Sometimes I find myself wondering why I spend as much time on the internet as I do.....but then I see articles like those you've linked, OB, and it all becomes clear again...Tks!

PS: Still haven't received that quote yet........hope it's not going to turn into another "like pulling teeth" exercise that I so often encounter with Australian businesses.
    Last edited by Thala Dan; 07-08-19 at 10:12 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (07-08-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I've taken a vested interest Thala, because this is exactly where i see myself wanting to head for a camping/travel vehicle

The need for 2" lifted 4WD with no room inside is a bit of joke to me
    And camping in a tent or swag, no thanks.... I hate the set up time.

I found a 2006 IVECO LWB camper completely decked out inside, with solar and genset shower, toilet, kitchen with 30,000ks on the clock from a deceased estate.
    Older farmer that had it in his shed.

As it stands it will go 90% of places in Oz, but i've always thought a small lift (even if just tyre size) and a Diff Lock would get me out of trouble... or is that, INTO trouble!
    In saying that, the Merc Sprinter has a real issue with larger tyre size, it loads up the transmission and there has been failures.

I have seen a few VW Synco's running BF Goodrich AT's and i'd imagien they would go anywhere the chassis clearance would allow
    Than again, like you, i'm not about placing my vehicle is a stupid situation to begin with... Better to just play it safe and not cause a headache
    Hence, i have never bothered... But your thread spiked my interest again.

PS. I have now watched a few videos of Mechanics installing the Eaton TrueTrac and Eaton E-Locker
    Wow, it is a far more complex installation than they make it out to be....
    Correct Lash, New Bearings (you may as well), Correct alignment using paint and lots of hand turning of the mating gears, A wash bath to clean your carrier before you even start, A diff stand, A press, etc etc.....

You watch their (Locker Companies) Videos and they say, if you can take the Diff apart, you can install a locker.... Yeah right
    Last edited by ol' boy; 07-08-19 at 11:17 AM.

Thala Dan (18-08-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Interesting

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (10-08-19),Thala Dan (18-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Ill just throw what little i know to the convo.

Some of the diffs discussed with the worm gear are also known as torsen diffs.

In my case our LSD units are not used for 4wd but for track type work.

Some vehicles come from the factory with torsen centers, first thing we do is to remove them and put a clutch pack mechanical center in.

The issue is that (and this is where it get interesting for 4wders) when your mid corner on racetrack the inner rear wheel has the weight lifted off it and loses traction.

When one wheel is free the torsen LSD will NOT lock. In effect it single spins if one wheel loses traction.

So we put clutch pack LSDs in, by changing to order of the clutch pack (inners and outers) we can also change how hard they lock up too, taking strain off the drive line.

So max lock up would be a inner and a outer, one after another, so in a 8 disc assembly all disc would work.

To soften the lock up (as and example) you can put 2 outers together with 2 inner together, repeating this combo would in effect halve the clutch pack bite.

And there are many other combos of clutch pack arrangement in between.

I first learned of this setup after reading the instructions for a LSD i was setting up years ago, its on page 9 of the PDF below..

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (18-08-19),Thala Dan (18-08-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

And for $75, these give traction on wet grass, can be used from vehicle to vehicle and are handy to level up the van when camping over night

Or $55 if you want to save even more money

Last edited by ol' boy; 18-08-19 at 12:59 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Have to be a cheap set of rims with all terrains you could find for under $400

Thala Dan (28-08-19)

Thanks

Question

Have to be a cheap set of rims with all terrains you could find for under $400

Hi OB, apologies for digging up/hijacking an old thread but I've been researching tyre sizes all day and can't come to a conclusion:

I have a 2002 Hiace Commuter RZH125r and I'd like to whack some 215/65/16 BFG KO2s on it, or similar.

You mentioned you had Michelin Primacy 3 ST 215/60/16 on your Hiace and judging from the photos there is still plenty of clearance; is it a 100 series Hiace?

Also do you have the wheel specs on the Hiace pictured above? they look very chunky indeed.

Diameters:
    215/60/16 = 665mm
    215/65/16 = 686mm
    stock 185/14 = 653mm

I wonder if tread depth is taken into account, KO2's are aggressive

Thank you!

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123