Thread: Best way to multiple points in the house

Thanks

Default Best way to multiple points in the house

Hi All,

I currently have a 90cm dish with a single LNB with two outputs feeding into single box.

What would be the way to get multiple feeds throughout the house, use a splitter of some type? I guess if I wanted two points I could just use a 4 output LNB but if I wanted 3 points I would need to ????

Cheers

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

The best way is to use a dual output LNB into a multiswitch.

That way, multiple decoders can access either vertical or horizontal transponders independently.

Example of an 8 output multiswitch (you connect the two input cables from a dual output LNB.)

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (03-08-19),irritant (04-08-19),myf360f1 (03-08-19),OSIRUS (05-08-19)

Thanks

Hi MTV

Thank you for for the quick response, so I see the above switch has 8 outputs so if each sat box requires two inputs this should feed 4 boxes right ?

Edit----- I need two feeds per box if I want to watch and record at the same time, otherwise 1 input will do...... derp I think I just worked that out.
    Last edited by myf360f1; 03-08-19 at 09:03 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to myf360f1 For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (03-08-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,905 Posts

Yes mate it will do 4 boxes with two inputs each.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following User Says Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

myf360f1 (04-08-19)

Thanks

Strangely I have an issue using the 8 way multi switch described.

If I put the two inputs from the dual LNB into this spaun multiswitch, I only get vert from 4 output ports and Horz from the other 4. It does not allow me to independently switch H/V from all ports. I am not using it as a Foxtel setup but using multiple receivers in my mancave.

I am curious to know if anyone else has had this problem.

Using a Spaun 4way multiswitch presents no issues.

Some of the more expensive 8/16 way Multiswitches are self powered eliminating this issue.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore View Post
    Strangely I have an issue using the 8 way multi switch described.

If I put the two inputs from the dual LNB into this spaun multiswitch, I only get vert from 4 output ports and Horz from the other 4. It does not allow me to independently switch H/V from all ports. I am not using it as a Foxtel setup but using multiple receivers in my mancave.

I am curious to know if anyone else has had this problem.

Using a Spaun 4way multiswitch presents no issues.

Some of the more expensive 8/16 way Multiswitches are self powered eliminating this issue.
    That's odd, I'm using the SMS 281f 2 in 8 out. I don't have the issue you describe.
    Running to 3 boxes straight from the switch (2 Foxtel & 1 VAST) & to another room wall outlet. H & V are available on all outlets.
    You should be able to get all H or all V or any combination of the 2 out of the MS.

The 287f supersedes that model & I have one on the bench, they are identical as far as I can tell.

According to the manual, it is designed to switch H & V as intended;
    SMS 287 FFor 8 subscribers.
    • Remote powered by satellite receiver.
    • Compact multiswitch for distribution of 2 SAT IF
    signals for 8 subscribers.
    • The IF polarity selection is controlled by the
    remote voltage, < 14 V Vert. / > 16 V Hor.
    provided by the receiver.
    source;

Maybe you got a faulty one.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

cmoore (05-08-19)

Administrator
    Thanks

@ cmoore,

Mate, something if definitely wrong with the 8-way MS you have, as I've lost count of the number of them I've installed and never had an issue.

Did you buy it from a reputable satellite equipment store?

There have been a number of fake copies sold on eBay, etc.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

cmoore (05-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    @ cmoore,

Mate, something if definitely wrong with the 8-way MS you have, as I've lost count of the number of them I've installed and never had an issue.

Did you buy it from a reputable satellite equipment store?

There have been a number of fake copies sold on eBay, etc.
    Thats what I thought as well. Supposedly reputable BUUUUT.

Anyway I will try my local supplier next time

Thanks for the confirmation.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

The best way is to use a dual output LNB into a multiswitch.

That way, multiple decoders can access either vertical or horizontal transponders independently.

Example of an 8 output multiswitch (you connect the two input cables from a dual output LNB.)

I'm curious about this. I'm not sure of the terminology differences in our respective countries, but which specific dual LNB does one use with this multiswitch?

Is it the dual output as in one output is H and the other V, or is it what we in S. Afr. call a "twin" LNB where both outputs output everything independently (like having two separate single LNBs)?

We have a setup here where we use both H and V, as well as low Ku and high Ku (two LOs), so since there are four possible combinations, we use a "quad/quattro" LNB which outputs low V, low H, high V, high H and then run that into a multiswitch which gives 8 or 16 or whatever. But you also get a "quattro/quad" LNB which outputs four independent outputs that do everything.

In the years gone by, we just used the electronic DiSEqC strings with DiSEqC LNBs to tell which LNB to do what.

It gets confusing as here people don't really define them properly, so many times you don't really know which one they are referring to. Do you guys have specific terms for each?

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to irritant For This Useful Post:

cmoore (05-08-19),myf360f1 (05-08-19)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mohs View Post
    I'm curious about this. I'm not sure of the terminology differences in our respective countries, but which specific dual LNB does one use with this multiswitch?

Is it the dual output as in one output is H and the other V, or is it what we in S. Afr. call a "twin" LNB where both outputs output everything independently (like having two separate single LNBs)?
    The most common LNB.. in particular, Ku-Band used in Australia is what you described as a 'twin' which is typically referred to in Australia as a dual-polarity, dual-output LNB(F).

There is a variety of multiswitches on the market, such as those which can input multiple LNB's.

In reference to the 8-way Spaun, you can connect an LNB as per you first example, where the LNB itself has a separate H and V output (or two separate LNB's on a combined feedhorn).
    In that instance, obviously you would have to connect the H LNB to the H input of the multiswitch and likewise for the V.

With the commonly-used dual-polarity, dual output LNB, it doesn't matter which cable connects to which input as they can both be set to either H or V.

The multiswitch tells the LNB which polarity to output via voltage setting... 18VDC for H and 13VDC for vertical.

Every output on the multiswitch is identical dual-polarity. The decoder tells the multiswitch which polarity to output on that particular port... again by the transponder settings in the receiver, sending the applicable voltage to the multiswitch.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

cmoore (05-08-19),irritant (05-08-19),myf360f1 (05-08-19)

Thanks

The most common LNB.. in particular, Ku-Band used in Australia is what you described as a 'twin' which is typically referred to in Australia as a dual-polarity, dual-output LNB(F)...

The multiswitch tells the LNB which polarity to output via voltage setting... 18VDC for H and 13VDC for vertical...
    Ah OK. And, I'm assuming if you wanted low/high band it uses/allows the passage of 0/22 kHz tone from the STB through the switch? Could you achieve fully independent band- AND polarity-switching with this "dual input" switch if you wanted and you had the twin LNBF (or you're limited to two STBs allowed to control the combination)?

Sorry, I know it's a little off topic ATM but just curious.
    Last edited by irritant; 05-08-19 at 05:46 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to irritant For This Useful Post:

cmoore (05-08-19)

Administrator
    Thanks

Ah OK. And, I'm assuming if you wanted low/high band it uses/allows the passage of 0/22 kHz tone from the STB through the switch? Could you achieve fully independent band- AND polarity-switching with this "dual input" switch if you wanted and you had the twin LNBF (or you're limited to two STBs allowed to control the combination)?

Sorry, I know it's a little off topic ATM but just curious.
    No, the 2 in - 8 out model above is only for a fixed LO LNBF.

If you want to use universal LNBF's with Hi/Lo LO switching, you need to use a quatro universal LNBF with a suitable multiswitch such as the one below.

You can read up on the various types of multiswitches at:

If you wish to discuss this further, please start a separate thread so as not to confuse the OP's question on what he needs, as already discussed

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

irritant (05-08-19)

Thanks

No, the 2 in - 8 out model above is only for a fixed LO LNBF.

If you want to use universal LNBF's with Hi/Lo LO switching, you need to use a quatro universal LNBF with a suitable multiswitch such as the one below.

You can read up on the various types of multiswitches at:

If you wish to discuss this further, please start a separate thread so as not to confuse the OP's question on what he needs, as already discussed

Thanks mtv, yes, this topic would constitute a new thread on its own.

Those various Spauns you've been showing look like nice sturdy pieces of kit BTW.

OK, so when using that dual input V and H switch, coupled to a "twin" LNB (dual output, dual polarity), the switch itself then manages/fixes the voltages that are sent through the V and H ports respectively?

Because you have to somehow make it behave like it was connected to a dual-output V and H separate output LNB not so?

Two STBs can at some point for example send the same voltage (say both set to an H channel so sending 18V) up their cables, so this multiswitch makes them both then "connect" to the one input from the H port?

Long story short, I guess, does this multiswitch make a "twin" LNB behave like a separate-polarity output dual LNB?

And, it has something built into it preventing 26/36V DC accidentally running down only one of the input cables?
    Last edited by irritant; 05-08-19 at 06:02 PM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Thanks mtv, yes, this topic would constitute a new thread on its own.

Those various Spauns you've been showing look like nice sturdy pieces of kit BTW.

OK, so when using that dual input V and H switch, coupled to a "twin" LNB (dual output, dual polarity), the switch itself then manages/fixes the voltages that are sent through the V and H ports respectively?

Because you have to somehow make it behave like it was connected to a dual-output V and H separate output LNB not so?

Two STBs can at some point for example send the same voltage (say both set to an H channel so sending 18V) up their cables, so this multiswitch makes them both then "connect" to the one input from the H port?

Long story short, I guess, does this multiswitch make a "twin" LNB behave like a separate-polarity output dual LNB?

And, it has something built into it preventing 26/36V DC accidentally running down only one of the input cables?
    Adrian, all the info you need to understand how these work is in the PDF link I provided above, here it is again, covers all latest model switches; source;

& at the link MTV provided, "You can read up on the various types of multiswitches at:

Let's not hijack this thread. If you wan't to start a new thread then do so, but the info is really easy to understand in those links for someone with your technical knowledge.

& yes, Spaun, in my opinion, is the best kit.
    Last edited by Tiny; 05-08-19 at 07:03 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

irritant (05-08-19)