Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HoHum Another Day In The Land Of The Free

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    No need to carry any guns into a store, doesn't Walmart sell them?
    I can remember when I was a kid K-Mart in Boronia (In Melbourne) had a sporting goods section full of guns. .22's, shotguns, air rifles......funnily enough back then no one blinked an eye at a bloke with a shotgun at the cash registers along with normal shopping. You could go hop on a train with it if you didn't own a car.

I got picked up hitch hiking once in about 1982/3 when I was 15/16 by the police with a .22 over my shoulder. Ironically, they were the only ones that stopped......and gave me a lift all the way home. They did say its probably not a good idea to hitchhike with guns.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (10-08-19),eeprommemory (11-08-19),enf (09-08-19),gulliver (09-08-19),irritant (09-08-19),LeroyPatrol (10-08-19),ol' boy (09-08-19),Tiny (09-08-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Happened to me in 1971.
    I came to australia/Sydney and bought a 22 rifle in the city,wrapped in newspaper,got to the bank to get some mone and then went home by train to Rockdale.
    Nobody raised an eyebrow.(The good old days)

• The Following User Says Thank You to gulliver For This Useful Post:

irritant (09-08-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

When I was 14 I had been out deer shooting with my old man and we called in to the Deddington pub on the way home.
    As it was cold and wet we took the rifles in and leaned them against the wall near the fire so they could dry out.
    The local copper was in there, he knew me and the old man quite well.
    He asked me how old I was, I replied 14. He then bought me a beer and said if your old enough to go deer shooting you're old enough to have a beer......

And no, I have no problem with deer shooting, they are vermin introduced by the poms along with rabbits, foxes etc....

Yes, I bought my first rifle (paid for by me) from kmart back in the early eighties....

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hoe; 09-08-19 at 01:46 PM.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

eeprommemory (11-08-19),gulliver (10-08-19),irritant (09-08-19),ol' boy (09-08-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Last edited by ol' boy; 09-08-19 at 03:11 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (09-08-19),eeprommemory (11-08-19),gulliver (10-08-19),irritant (09-08-19),LeroyPatrol (10-08-19),Tiny (09-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I literally bought the .22 semi auto in that ad from K-mart at Bankstown. Also Bought a Shotgun at the same time.
    I went from the Police station where I paid $8 for my gun licence which they sighted my Drivers Licence and wrote it out from a Book that had about 4 Licences per page all perforated.
    Got the .22, the 12G and a heap of ammo and carried them back home through the streets. The rifles were in cardboard boxes with a description of what they were and a picture on the box so no doubt as to what I had and the guy at the sporting section taped the boxes together with a small paper bag with the K-mart logo on it.
    Walked around the square for a bit then back through the streets home. After I unpacked them I carried them over to the neighbours place to show the old guy who was really thrilled to see them. Used to take over every new toy I got to show him. His wife told me it made his week and to bring something over every now and then even if he had seen them before because he enjoyed reminiscing so much. I used to take over one of my slug guns and we'd shoot cans in the back yard from the Verandah. He or the old girl would come over almost every day for a week to thank me. I liked spending time with them and listening to their stories.

She told me that when they were married after the war, they were quite well off compared to most people even though they both had very ordinary jobs. She said they would go out of a sunday whenever they could ( only day the old fella had off work) and go rabbit shooting. They would sell the pelts for hats and on a really good day could make another weeks wages. She said that allowed them to buy furniture and Luxury's like a TV that many people in those days could not afford let alone the house they were able to save a deposit for in a few years.

I also bought a number of guns by mail order. Just sent my licence number and a cheque and they would turn up at the door. Gun mags had pages of stuff you could buy from interstate and local dealers. I had my handgun licence and used to shoot competition for a fair few years too till the fun spoilers Fked all that up with their Bullshit rules and regulations that took the fun out of it for all the decent people and did stuff all to stop the crims. I must have been offered 10 dodgy Handguns over the years. Back then far cheaper for me to buy them legit being licenced. Now I hear they can be had cheap as Chips.

My father has shown me a couple of Times where he used to go shooting up the hill behind the country town he used to live in. I asked him where the town was back then. He pointed as If I was an idiot and said where do you think it was, it's right there. I said was it so close then?, I could throw a tennis ball and hit the hospital from here. He said they built that hospital just before I was old enough to come up here shooting. He said he would go up there every day unless it was raining and shoot rabbits. I said didn't that thin them out? He said never had any trouble getting plenty!

Being 1 of 9 and their mother having passed away of Pneumonia, Rabbits were the staple meat diet for the family.
    Dad said when he and his brother did OK, they would walk down the main street of the town with their rifles over their shoulder and the Rabbits hanging off them. He said the only thing people would say was how well they had done. He said there was a greek bloke that ran the Milk bar and they would knock on the backdoor and he'd come and buy a couple off them and give them a Milkshake and enough money to go to the pictures on Saturday and buy some Jaffas. He said sometimes they would just have the vegetables their father grew in the back yard for dinner so there was enough meat for the others but they had a milk shake a couple of hours before and going to the pictures on Saturday was more than worth it.

Wasn't all that long ago when people still had a sense of reality instead of the bed wetting attitude we have towards everything these days.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

gulliver (10-08-19),irritant (09-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Thanks admin, gulliver, hoe, ol' boy and George for sharing, and showing me the error of my ways.

I would like to do what Mr Trump did a while back and say that I misspoke.

I admit, in a moment of weakness, a moment of sheer madness and error in judgement, I may have said let's ban the guns. I do apologize for this most ridiculous statement.

I would like to do a retraction please.

Your stories have once again proved that the problem never lies with the specific thing in question, but indeed when idiots who don't know how to handle them get hold of them.

It applies not just to guns, but to everything else too -- booze, cars, women, etc. Some men just don't know how to handle it.

Like you said before George, some people need a dose of cement to harden the F up. True. Afterwards, they need a pint of glacial meltwater (take that greenies) to chill the F out too.

People need to stop taking life so damn seriously all the time. Everything you guys have told here in these stories, definitely points to a time when people weren't so friggin' anal retentive like they are today.

My perception is of course very skewed, but it's because we allowed the women to take control. The whole world is becoming totally feminized. Men are being turned into people-pleasing pussies. And these are the results we sit with today.

Again, the cause and effect thing.
    Last edited by irritant; 09-08-19 at 07:18 PM.

• The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to irritant For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (10-08-19),eeprommemory (11-08-19),george65 (10-08-19),gulliver (10-08-19),hinekadon (09-08-19),hoe (09-08-19),Tiny (09-08-19)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

I remember back in 1972 or 3 or even 4 whilst I was working in Sydney I walked across the road to SMITHS GUN Shop in George Street and I bought a Winchester Commemorative 40/40 Lever action and few boxed of ammo. I pay for it, the shop assistant taped the receipt over the stock, I stick the ammo in my bag and walk out the shop and crossed the road and down the stairs for TOWNHALL Railway station. Now whilst I was in the Train, I played with the gun and admired it from to the top to the bottom and because it was a week day the train was full of People and nobody even look at me like if I was doing wrong because at that time a lot of people use to buy guns and walk out the shop and nobody gave a shit.

I remember about this time 3 of us went Shooting at Mudgee NSW and we hired a car and on the way back we crashed the car and the only way home was to catch a train so on the train the three of us has enough guns to to star a war and one again nobody gave a shit what we had even the ticket man he was only concerned if we had a ticket.

I remember years about about the same time I was suspected to Drag race another hot car on Canterbury Road Punchbowl so what happened when the Police was told,,, they knocked on the door where I live, (hear we go, A women dobded me in only because I was Catholic and not a prodesent (cant spell it the opposite from Catholic) and the Police told my parents that a Green Monaro was racing down the road. what Happened? I got a clip accross my head from my father and the Burly big police lectured me and told not to do that again and he even told me you car has been spotted down Brickies at underwood road Homebush racing others cars and that it.
    They were the Good days and I still have the Green Monaro today with all the stories about the car written on a newspaper as the car become famous as I started to race at Castlereagh Drags against real strip Fords and Holden.

Today you all know what will happen if you did the above

I wish I had all the stuff we have today and go back to the 1970's
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 10-08-19 at 11:03 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

irritant (10-08-19)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Have a look at the GOOD old days, Only last week I posted a Photo of my HUD (head up display) on the GPS Forum but at the same time looking out the window from the VF commodore admiring the HUD you can see the Monro on the right and on the wall (top, Mid Frame) you can see all the stories about the car. (look 3/4 down the page)
    NOW THAT WERE THE GOOD days where you can leave your keys in the Ignition and come out from the shops and you car is still there, you dont need to lock your front door of your house, and have Cracker Night once a years. The Only thing I had to Complain about those Days was When I drove the Green Monaro early to Church on Sundays with my Mothers and being early I parked the car right out the front of the Church so the "Gallina" the Young Hen, The chicken's, the young Girls, looked at the car and want to go for Drive so once in Church the Priest Commenting on the pulpit in front of 250 odd people that migrant come to Australia and buy a BIG HOUSE and Have GREEN Sports Cars (yes mentioned the Colour) and have Crystal Chandeliers in there house (yes we had them when my Mother asked the Priest to come over and Bless the House and he got $$ for it) and the Priest said yet Migrants only give coins in there offerings not notes in the addressed envelopes. Now that the only thing that gave me a bad taste in the 70's. I Never went to Church again after this.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 10-08-19 at 11:34 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

irritant (10-08-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    I remember back in 1972 or 3 or even 4 whilst I was working in Sydney I walked across the road to SMITHS GUN Shop in George Street and I bought a Winchester Commemorative 40/40 Lever action and few boxed of ammo. I pay for it, the shop assistant taped the receipt over the stock, I stick the ammo in my bag and walk out the shop and crossed the road and down the stairs for TOWNHALL Railway station. Now whilst I was in the Train, I played with the gun and admired it from to the top to the bottom and because it was a week day the train was full of People and nobody even look at me like if I was doing wrong because at that time a lot of people use to buy guns and walk out the shop and nobody gave a shit.

I remember about this time 3 of us went Shooting at Mudgee NSW and we hired a car and on the way back we crashed the car and the only way home was to catch a train so on the train the three of us has enough guns to to star a war and one again nobody gave a shit what we had even the ticket man he was only concerned if we had a ticket.

I remember years about about the same time I was suspected to Drag race another hot car on Canterbury Road Punchbowl so what happened when the Police was told,,, they knocked on the door where I live, (hear we go, A women dobded me in only because I was Catholic and not a prodesent (cant spell it the opposite from Catholic) and the Police told my parents that a Green Monaro was racing down the road. what Happened? I got a clip accross my head from my father and the Burly big police lectured me and told not to do that again and he even told me you car has been spotted down Brickies at underwood road Homebush racing others cars and that it.
    They were the Good days and I still have the Green Monaro today with all the stories about the car written on a newspaper as the car become famous as I started to race at Castlereagh Drags against real strip Fords and Holden.

Today you all know what will happen if you did the above

I wish I had all the stuff we have today and go back to the 1970's
    Same shopI bought ine in 71.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gulliver For This Useful Post:

irritant (10-08-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

It never is the guns/cars/booze/drugs or whatever else that causes problems, it is ALWAYS the idiots who don't appreciate a good thing and go about ruining it for those of us who can use said tool appropriately. Do I believe that there should be controls on guns? Hell yeah! There should also be controls on cars, too. UNTIL you can demonstrate that you can responsibly own/use said devices.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (11-08-19),irritant (10-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Do I believe that there should be controls on guns? Hell yeah! There should also be controls on cars, too. UNTIL you can demonstrate that you can responsibly own/use said devices.
    I also Firmly believe there should be licences and approvals for having children these days too.
    My deadshit step brother and his embezzling con artist crim of a wife have lived in a single room shack their entire married lives yet have had 4 Kids on top of the 2 they had before they got hitched. She did a fund raiser some years ago for desperately needed surgery and had a kid before she went and another less than 12 months afterwards.
    Got to keep the social security and baby bonuses coming in I spose. Neither of them have worked for 10 Years bar a few weeks here and there where either and both have them have been sacked for stealing or embezzling.

You want to have kids without a licence, fine, you are on your own and no social security for you. Ever. Same as if you haven't worked a decent amount of time before the kid was hatched. Can't stop them having them but sure can take away the incentive for them breeding as a fund raising exercise like so many clearly do.

As for gun control's, I'm ALL for it BUT, they need to be something that will do some good not the complete and utter bullshit we have now as much as the laws are bragged about.

I remember a few months after the Strathfield shooting some seat polishers came down the pistol club on a fact finding/ research mission.
    They wanted to know what we thought might be able to be done to stop these shootings. I put my hand up and said " Mental health/ background Checks" and got applause and nods of agreement from everyone in the place.
    The suits said oh no, couldn't do that, it would be an invasion of peoples privacy and rights! Everyone started laughing and I said what about the rights of the people that POS nut job killed in the shopping centre?

The suits argued that it was not a reasonable idea that could be actioned. After a bit of heated discussion and dissatisfaction with the suits, the club captain whom I had a running mutual dislike for, got up and said that the suggestion I made was one of the most valid and logical things possible and if they were not even going to entertain it, there was no point in continuing the discussion. Meeting over, range open. All the suits could propose was more red tape and hoops to jump through as they have now but does nothing to stop the fruitcakes that shouldn't have a butter knife let alone a fire arm.

Same with these " Security" gaurds that are overwhelmingly taking over the industry and are all from the Religion of peace and bullshit. I used to train these Fktards and most of them I wouldn't trust with a broom lest they go feral with it. I would recommend that some people ( the peace lovers and other Dumb crunts) were not fit to have a licence just by their attitude and lack of intelligence but unless they did something wrong, which was pretty hard, they got their certification to carry. Most of them were rejected by the army or the cops and had disillusion of grandeur even when you showed them they were hopless.

I always said, If the cops or a security gaurd is shooting at you, stand very still and let them take good aim cause I never saw one hit what they were aiming at yet and if you moved, you might run into one of their strays they would spray around. Wait till they are empty and fumbling around for 30 sec on the reload and run off.

And that is the problem. There is no real checks put in place, only token gestures to appease the ignorant bed wetters that get all their info and expertise from sensationalist " Current affairs" TV programs that are designed to rabble rouse first and foremost.
    I saw a vid once where someone got a ruger 10/22 rifle. They took pictures with the thing stock with the wood grips and iron sights and then put on after market Nylon thumb hole stock with a fore end grip, a red dot 40mm scope on a picaninny rail, a torch and was tarted up.
    They showed the pictures to people and asked which gun they thought was acceptable for people to have. Of course universally all but a few people recognised it was the same gun with the exact same capabilities and was only a .22 rather than the devil spawned "Assault rifle" killing machine they took the one in the second picture for.

They later did the same thing with a SINGLE shot Bolt action .22. One in stock form except with a scope and the other one with the plasticware. Same reaction and people said there was no need for Military assault rifles that could spew hundreds of rounds a Minute even through they purposefully did close ups to show it was a bolt action and had no magazine at all. They also on the second experiment got a Remington 700 in .338 Lapua ( one of the most powerful and accurate rounds commonly available) and said what about this and very few people picked what it was even though they printed out the specs clearly underneath the pic!
    Most people commented that hunting rifles were fine and they had no problem with them unlike the other which was an assult rifle and shouldn't be in public hands.
    I can't find that vid on YT now, I suspect it's been taken down due to not agreeing with the leftie sook agenda and was impossible for them to argue with.

One of these guns would be VERY lucky to kill you beyond 50 M yet the other one could take your head off at 1000m and well beyond in the right hands but because the pop gun LOOKED meaner.... Oh no, can't have people running round with killing machines like that!
    And this was in the US where I would suggest more people would be knowledgeable on firearms than anywhere else.
    The ignorance is incredible !

When the whole attitude towards fire arms is based on what they look like rather than what they are capable of and laws are made to appease the ignorant, then the whole dam debate is a joke from the start.
    Add into that putting peoples " Rights" and " Privacy" before the well being of the public and these pollies and decision makers need to be strung up by the balls for their failure in duty of care to the public.

It's all a mute point though.
    Until they get to sorting out why people want to go killing others and the sissy attitude that is shitting people to tears stops, this will get a whole lot worse before it gets better and NOTHING is going to change that.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (11-08-19),irritant (10-08-19),Jma (11-08-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mohs View Post

My perception is of course very skewed, but it's because we allowed the women to take control. The whole world is becoming totally feminized. Men are being turned into people-pleasing pussies. And these are the results we sit with today.

Again, the cause and effect thing.

• The Following User Says Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

irritant (11-08-19)

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123