Thread: New Mac Pro 27''

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Default New Mac Pro 27''

Been looking at the latest 27'' Mac Pro 5K Retina, and apparently they'll do you up to:

- 4.5 GHz 18-core processor,
    - 256 GB RAM,
    - 4 TB SSD.

But, trying to find a price on this spec. Would be nice if one wanted to go into processing high-res sat images and GIS mapping where you need lots of resources.

Does anyone know where I can find out about pricing? Apple had that build your own mac website a few years back, but now I can't seem to find such a thing anymore?
    Last edited by irritant; 09-08-19 at 10:37 PM.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Perhaps your local computer retailer would be a good place to start.

Besides, I think you're in South Africa, so asking in an Australian forum is unlikely to be useful.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (10-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    Perhaps your local computer retailer would be a good place to start.

Besides, I think you're in South Africa, so asking in an Australian forum is unlikely to be useful.
    Yes, I forgot to mention that I did contact several local Apple distributors, but they couldn't be bothered to answer me. So stuff 'em.

No, I reckon it would, just interested in a ballpark figure really, using currency conversion, etc. And, if I do get one, I'll get it directly from the States. Hence, why I ask if they still have something like that build your mac site, because I remember on that you could pretty much build and order it right then and there.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mohs View Post
    Been looking at the latest 27'' Mac Pro 5K Retina, and apparently they'll do you up to:

- 4.5 GHz 18-core processor,
    - 256 GB RAM,
    - 4 TB SSD.

But, trying to find a price on this spec. Would be nice if one wanted to go into processing high-res sat images and GIS mapping where you need lots of resources.

Does anyone know where I can find out about pricing? Apple had that build your own mac website a few years back, but now I can't seem to find such a thing anymore?

Now you just made me feel miserable with my ancient 4-core i7 MBP and it's laughable 16GB RAM and it's pathetically tiny 1TB SSD
    ...sob
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (12-08-19),irritant (12-08-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

On the apple website all that is said about the mac pro is that it is "coming later this year".

Apple never release pricing until it's available in case of last minute currency fluctuations.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

irritant (12-08-19),tristen (12-08-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Now after digesting those specs, my brain fog has dispersed somewhat.

Maybe if you know somebody going to the States and back at that time, they might be able to bring one back to you

I would shudder what that machine would cost in Australia, typically US$Price X 2 with all the taxes and customs fees and of course the special profit margin for Apple products that is matched to us 'wealthy' Australians. We could be talking 5 digits here.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 12-08-19 at 06:50 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

irritant (12-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Now you just made me feel miserable with my ancient 4-core i7 MBP and it's laughable 16GB RAM and it's pathetically tiny 1TB SSD
    ...sob
    No way, that's pretty great. Don't forget, the specs I quoted is what I like to call "ridiculous spec."

At ridiculous spec level, the Mac Book Pro is at 32GB RAM, 8-core i9, and as stated before, probably not even purchasable at this point in time.

Just on a side note - I assume yours is 2,880 x 1,800 resolution? Do you hook yours up to a 4K monitor at all?
    Last edited by irritant; 16-08-19 at 06:07 AM.
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mohs View Post
    No way, that's pretty great. Don't forget, the specs I quoted is what I like to call "ridiculous spec."

At ridiculous spec level, the Mac Book Pro is at 32GB RAM, 8-core i9, and as stated before, probably not even purchasable at this point in time.

Just on a side note - I assume yours is 2,880 x 1,800 resolution? Do you hook yours up to a 4K monitor at all?
    try here, & click on the supplier about upgrades

https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

irritant (16-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Philquad View Post
    try here, & click on the supplier about upgrades

Thanks Phil, nice site.

What do you guys think? Would you go for the Mac Book Pro or this, if it were you?

Obviously, the specs that I originally posted, is it necessary? Probably not. Can't see anyone needing those kind of resources, at least not right now. Seems, at this high-end spec, like the Mac Pro could go well above A$ 10,000 for, well, let's face it -- a computer.

What would be greater value in your opinion - new Mac Book Pro or this 27-Mac Pro? I'd love to hear what you guys think.
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

Thanks

Always MBP for me.
    I am comfortable sitting close to it's 15" screen and when I need more, I dual screen with the 1K(only) 24" monitor on my desk, that is shared with 3 other PCs.
    Power failure, nothing lost.
    Ease of bringing it to another room or location:

4 things I need to be buried with when I pass:
    - My MBP
    - My Weller soldering iron
    - My Tritium watch with Lithium battery
    - A 10W handheld VHF/UHF transceiver with fully charged Lithium battery, in case I wake up from the dead !
    OK then I will also need a charged cordless power drill and some steel pipes(that you screw together) so somebody can push down a power cable for my MBP
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 16-08-19 at 10:20 PM.

irritant (16-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by irritant View Post
    Thanks Phil, nice site.

What do you guys think? Would you go for the Mac Book Pro or this, if it were you?

Obviously, the specs that I originally posted, is it necessary? Probably not. Can't see anyone needing those kind of resources, at least not right now. Seems, at this high-end spec, like the Mac Pro could go well above A$ 10,000 for, well, let's face it -- a computer.

What would be greater value in your opinion - new Mac Book Pro or this 27-Mac Pro? I'd love to hear what you guys think.
    personally im a desktop person, but i dont move much lol
    anything 3ghz & 16gb ram & ssd drives should surfice i think

hey can i pm you about some sa stuff.

irritant (17-08-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

I was a desktop person until a few years back. Now my lappy is my go-to tool. The only reason being, it's portable.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

irritant (17-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    4 things I need to be buried with when I pass:
    - My MBP
    - My Weller soldering iron
    - My Tritium watch with Lithium battery
    - A 10W handheld VHF/UHF transceiver with fully charged Lithium battery, in case I wake up from the dead !
    OK then I will also need a charged cordless power drill and some steel pipes(that you screw together) so somebody can push down a power cable for my MBP

irritant (17-08-19)

Thanks

I wonder how often it actually happens:

The inclusion of those pipes and the drill will be definitely in my Last Directive.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 17-08-19 at 02:54 PM.

irritant (17-08-19)