Thread: 2001 Prado Grande

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default 2001 Prado Grande

Son has lost all instruments in his instrument cluster but still has all the lights. The Service manual (Ellery) is next to useless when it comes to his model. He has a basic OBDII device that says speed sensor failure but cannot even find the speed sensor on the back of the gearbox where they say it should be. Doe anyone have access to genuine service manual for one of these? It seems strange that all the gauges (odo included) are not working but all the dash lights are. We've checked every fuse that we can find with no joy.

He works in the industry (for a dealership, except that they are only new to Toymotors so have nothing nearly old enough.

Any suggestions polite, or otherwise will be treated suitably. Thanks folks.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Sounds very much like a fuse, as simple as that sounds

Factory Service Manuals can be hard to find
    Prado Forum would be a great place to ask
    Last edited by ol' boy; 17-08-19 at 07:14 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

It does sound as Rick says.

Many modern vehicles now dont run traditional speed sensors as we all grew up knowing that ran into the gearbox.

Now they are all electrical like abs wheel sensors, sometimes they are reading off the tailshaft or even the diff.

I just put a Nissan CD009 6 speed into a Honda S2000 a few months ago and the gearbox had no provisions for a speed sensor, i ended up adding another extra ABS sensor to a wheel and wiring it through a speed controller so i could calibrate the out put to run the speedo.

Point being the speed sensor could be anywhere that rotates with vehicle speed and not necessarily at the gearbox.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Thanks guys, I thought I had replied last night. but, obviously not. We have yet to find a fuse that might be a problem. ALL the wires from the connector of the instrument cluster back to the main harness are light blue!!! The sensor may, indeed, be on one of the wheels as there is some form of sensor on each wheel so I shall get him to check that. It's raining down here today and he has no sheltered work shop so won't get much done for a day or so. I'm somewhat surprised that a faulty sensor would take out the entire instrument cluster, but, in this day and age, who knows?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

the speed sensor might be on the back of the transfer case , not the back of the gearbox. Usually a 3 wire hall effect device , power , earth and an output of 4 pulses per revolution

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

also check for cracks on the circuit board copper tracks on the instrument panel

LSemmens
    Thanks

Done all that the speed sensor WAS (in previous models) on the back of the T/fer case (there's even a connector where it used to be). The cct board on the instrument panel is one of those plastic things, not a proper PCB so quite flexible. If there were a crack there, it would be surprising, but, no, twas the first thing we checked.