Thread: Windows RIP

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    It's quite simple to turn off automatic downloads in Windows. It's on by default so that latest security patches are downloaded asap.
    not as easy these days.
    Personally I've never been hacked or had a virus. I've been using PC's since dos was released.........
    ditto

I've used Linux, but these days it's just as bloated as Windows and no more secure.
    I suspect that you are mistaken there. Bloatware is not part of the Linux distro that I use. And it is currently WAY more secure because you cannot easily bypass the User Account Control as you can in Windows. A Password is required for all critical changes so unless you permit it, unauthorized changes cannot occur.
    The software I use for my business is not available on any platform but Windows, as there is no call for it.
    Therein lies the problem, and the advantage of Linux. The problem being no demand for a cross platform solution and the advantage is that, given the small user base of Linux, the nasty creators tend to ignore it.
    It's simply not viable for most small to mid sized businesses to run Linux or Mac...
    It all depends upon the business whether this is true or not. When I was selling computers, I had a Mac on my desk and that handled all of our sales, ordering, inventory and so forth, the only issue that we had is that we were an IBM dealership selling PCs. (We were owned by an Apple Store which is why the Mac on my desk.) I also know of small businesses that happily run Linux. Many large businesses actually rely on a version of *nix to maintain their data.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (04-09-19),irritant (03-09-19),Uncle Fester (03-09-19)