Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows RIP

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Damn, I wish someone had of put the tin foil hat disclaimer at the top, it would have saved me a read

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Tiny (23-08-19),tristen (23-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Freakin windows 10. As I posted in another thread, I only use windows for one main program, MediaMonkey Gold. I also use EAC (Exact Audio Copy) on the windows machine, but I can run it under Wine, on one of my Linux laptops. Last night, while doing some tag editing on about 120 Cds I had ripped, plus another 20 odd albums I acquired in MP3 format, I get a popup to say my Windows 10 2018 version will no longer be supported (or words to that effect), and I need to update to a new version. It gave the option to defer till later, so I selected that, and kept going with my editing. Every so often the popup would reappear and I'd defer again.

After about 3 hours, when I'd finished, I decided to allow windows to update. I fell asleep after a couple of hours of the update, and it was still going. I can't believe it takes such a huge update to keep current. Luckily it seems to have completed successfully, and I don't think I've lost anything that I require of the machine at this stage, but time will tell I guess.

• The Following User Says Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

irritant (25-08-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

My granddaughter asked me to update her W10 laptop yesterday. It still had not finished this morning. What's with the "end of Life" for W10? Usually the new version is released before the previous "old" version is removed.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

irritant (26-08-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Must be an old and very slow laptop.....

Mine takes no more than 10 minutes to do a major upgrade....

At least once a week beta upgrades.

16gig or ram and ssd.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

It's not that old, just low spec.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Well it got better, last night I was mirroring my newly arranged music library external USB drive (changed folder hierarchy plus added music), to a backup USB drive. Bugger me if windows didn't want to do another update, halfway through a 3 hour file sync operation (1.2TB of music). Kept deferring it till the sync had finished, then let it update.

This morning I tried to access the private folders on each of my 2 NASs, and no go. The Public folders were OK, but when I tried to remap the Private folders, the network app couldn't even see the NASs. I have had both NASs Private folders mapped and working properly previously, so why doesn't it work now? After a bit of dicking around, I found I had to enable the SMB/CIFS support in windows features. I hate this crap.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    Must be an old and very slow laptop.....

Mine takes no more than 10 minutes to do a major upgrade....

At least once a week beta upgrades.

16gig or ram and ssd.

If we are talking here about Windows 10 Version 1903 (Windows 11) yes it took me 1 week to finish the Upgrade because of failures and Internet connection, not everyone has 84.5Mbs of Download!!!!
    After all welcome to NBN Australia!

It was a major update and I have to strategically plan all my updates for all my Windows 10 Computers... yes only one at a time! So all 3 devices took one week to do it and lot of time wasting...
    Last edited by Ferjo; 26-08-19 at 04:56 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Lack of a good internet connection doesn't have anything to do with the speed Windows installs an update. For the majority, they wont even have to think about it.

I am currently on 1903 and can remember my computer asking me if I wanted to reboot due to an update the other day. I said no. Shut the computer down at the end of the day and that's it. Shutdown is reboot.

I don't know why people buy newer low spec computers. Buy a second hand high spec computer if you cant afford a new one. Ex business Dell i7's are great bang for buck.

There are 2 types of devices I refuse to fix for the growing collection of friends and family that hound me. One is Apple products. Life is too short to deal with them. The second is cheap under powered devices. Pentium, Celeron , - nah. What takes 5 minutes on a decent computer takes an hour on them.

Premium Member
    Thanks

funny thing about all the windows haters is they all try and make their 'alternative' o/s desktops look and act just like windows....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Lack of a good internet connection doesn't have anything to do with the speed Windows installs an update. For the majority, they wont even have to think about it.
    Before install needs to download. The PC still can't figure out where to build the new system files... (even with latest state of art computers, with most powerful CPU!)

Administrator
    Thanks

I understand it needs to be downloaded and not everyone is happy with their internet connection. But its not relevant to the update itself.

If it was a major problem, you could go somewhere with fast internet (friends, family, internet cafe) and download it to a USB stick. You then wouldn't have to do it 3 times separately as you mentioned.
    Or buy a mobile data sim card from one of the cheaper resellers. While Windows (and every others systems) updates have become bigger, mobile data has become cheaper.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

my updates are really fast, i don't have them ha, easy
    mines stuck on 1809 coz of some stupid device driver, i just cbf with it.
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

irritant (02-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

I'm sorry but you guys don't know what it's like to have to do this in a country where data costs are through the roof.

You guys have fast, cheap internet (and probably have the money to afford nice data plans, I don't).

The hundreds of dollars worth of data (and countless hours) I've had to buy already just to download what appears to be every single time a huge (for me and my connection/plan) download of well over 3 GB in size is just ridiculous. I've bought 5 GB packages before and it uses it up before the download is even complete, forcing the stop and for me to have to start all over again! All that money down the toilet for nothing!

I sit and watch the stuff it's downloading and it's all sorts of junk for programs I don't even have installed on my PC!!!

I can't even remember ever having Skype for Business 2015 on my PC, yet I see a huge update for it downloading every time. And it installs updates for 32-bit programs (e.g. Office) when it knows well and good that I'm running everything in 64-bit.

And then the audacity/cheek of trying to sneak in the download in secret and use my data without my knowledge.

And the audacity of trying to alter hidden settings of things I turned off, so that they can trick me into agreeing to be spied upon. Screw Windows.

This was the whole reason I installed Ubuntu in the first place. If it wants to update - It does the decent, respectful thing and and ASKS ME!

Never had an update bigger than 160 MB.

And, maybe other people try to make theirs look like Windows, but don't tar me with that same brush -- I hate the look of it and would make my OS look like anything but Windows.

Edit: And if you sneak into Bill Gates' Xanadu 2.0 mansion I'll bet you'll catch him sitting using an iPhone and a Mac.
    Last edited by irritant; 02-09-19 at 06:22 PM.
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to irritant For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (02-09-19),Jma (02-09-19),tristen (02-09-19),Uncle Fester (03-09-19)

Thanks

The operating systems remind me a lot of the satellite set-top box industry:

You get the top of the line, very technical but very powerful Tandberg receiver that can do amazing things, but takes a bit of skill to master -- that is like MacOS. Most can't afford it and many will not use its features anyway.

Then you get very good receivers that act as alternatives -- like the Humax, Satking, etc. that have great features, are user-friendly and relatively cheap (yet still fast and powerful). This is akin to Linux in its various forms.

Then you get the UEC. It's rubbish, but because bureaucrats have backed it and it has been dubbed the only "approved receiver", you are forced to go with it if you want to do the basic things the service provider is providing. It is backed by a huge juggernaut of an alliance between a tech company and a government, with seemingly more power than God. When you use it, it's slow, tasteless, bland, boring and ultimately rubbish, and you can immediately sense nobody who designed this actually gives a f*ck about the end user. And that's because they don't have to, because they are the only game in town. This is Windows.

Or seen another way, Windows is the McDonald's Big Mac. There are better burgers, but familiarity and availability, promotion, etc. makes it best-selling/most eaten burger.
    Last edited by irritant; 02-09-19 at 06:55 PM.
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

• The Following User Says Thank You to irritant For This Useful Post:

Jma (02-09-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

It's quite simple to turn off automatic downloads in Windows. It's on by default so that latest security patches are downloaded asap.

Unfortunately the people who turn off auto downloads tend to be the ones who cry when they have a security problem.....

Personally I've never been hacked or had a virus. I've been using PC's since dos was released.........

I've used Linux, but these days it's just as bloated as Windows and no more secure.

The software I use for my business is not available on any platform but Windows, as there is no call for it.

It's simply not viable for most small to mid sized businesses to run Linux or Mac...

Thanks

But you can't turn off the downloads, because then your system is compromised and open to attack anyway. And I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure in the latest iteration of Win 10, there is no option to turn them off completely.

You can only limit them to the most essential, and another trick I use is to set my connection to metered.

What I see they have fixed (credit where it's due) is that at least the downloads install now. In the past, it would download it and then refuse to install them (constant re-try error).

Yes, I have the same issue, I have software I use which only runs on Windows, which is why I had to keep it as a dual-boot.

The only reason viruses/hackers exist is because of Windows, because of the vast mountain of data they insist on collecting about you. If there was nothing to steal, 95% of the hackers would have no reason to hack / viruses would not be worth the time and effort to create.
    Last edited by irritant; 02-09-19 at 07:22 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to irritant For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (03-09-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I don't know why people buy newer low spec computers. Buy a second hand high spec computer if you cant afford a new one. Ex business Dell i7's are great bang for buck.
    That's what I've done.
    Bought decent spec laptops from auctions, installed a SSD and extra memory cheaply from MSY/CPL, and laptop is easily fast enough for windows/linux.

I do know that with every major windows update, it resets various settings one normally disables in registry and group policy editors. Pain in the a$$e having to change settings again.

I run windows as required work and comms software are only available on windows.
    One laptop has linux mint cinnamon 19.1 Tessa.

I also have a YUMI boot USB with various ISO's (windows, linux...), including "Skywave" - all run off the USB.

Off topic, if you're interested in comms and SDR global listening, check out "Skywave" - runs off a USB.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following User Says Thank You to Xplorer For This Useful Post:

irritant (02-09-19)

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

funny thing about all the windows haters is they all try and make their 'alternative' o/s desktops look and act just like windows....
    Ha ha...

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (02-09-19),irritant (02-09-19),tristen (02-09-19),Uncle Fester (03-09-19)

Thanks

I realize that I am, like someone has said before "bitter and twisted", but the reason for that is I grew up in a very poor household. My family and I have been through the wringer with many "higher ups" and their sadistic games with "people like us".

I reserve a special kind of resentment inside me for the kind of people who say "Well, it's really up to you Mr irritant, we can either do this the easy way or the hard way, and if you really want what you want, then we are going to do it my way."

Yes, my perception is very skewed because of life experiences, but to me it has always felt like the people at MS are people like this. They are the kind who enjoy having people over a barrel.

I am very lucky over the last few years to have been able to step out of this shadow somewhat and to tell these people in response "Well, first off, it's not Mr it's Dr, and secondly your "hard way" is not really as hard as it used to be anymore there pal, as there are nowadays many alternatives and more ways than ever to kill a cat."

Yes, many programs run only on Windows...for now. One good thing about our modern world I guess is the dynamic nature. The omnipotent corporations are getting eroded slowly but surely, which is no doubt why they are all scrambling around like rats nowadays, trying to jump into bed with as many skewed politicians as possible, who can influence government policy, all to try and re-establish the status quo.
    Last edited by irritant; 02-09-19 at 08:55 PM.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

...I've used Linux, but these days it's just as bloated as Windows and no more secure.
    I guess you're either taking the piss or you really don't have a clue about Linux nowdays.

It's simply not viable for most small to mid sized businesses to run Linux or Mac...
    Depends on the software requirements of the business, these days most Windows software has Linux equivalents.
    No doubt there'll always be plenty of businesses who don't mind spending a fortune on OS's that give them constant headaches

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

irritant (03-09-19),Uncle Fester (03-09-19)

• Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast