Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows RIP

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    It's quite simple to turn off automatic downloads in Windows. It's on by default so that latest security patches are downloaded asap.
    not as easy these days.
    Personally I've never been hacked or had a virus. I've been using PC's since dos was released.........
    ditto

I've used Linux, but these days it's just as bloated as Windows and no more secure.
    I suspect that you are mistaken there. Bloatware is not part of the Linux distro that I use. And it is currently WAY more secure because you cannot easily bypass the User Account Control as you can in Windows. A Password is required for all critical changes so unless you permit it, unauthorized changes cannot occur.
    The software I use for my business is not available on any platform but Windows, as there is no call for it.
    Therein lies the problem, and the advantage of Linux. The problem being no demand for a cross platform solution and the advantage is that, given the small user base of Linux, the nasty creators tend to ignore it.
    It's simply not viable for most small to mid sized businesses to run Linux or Mac...
    It all depends upon the business whether this is true or not. When I was selling computers, I had a Mac on my desk and that handled all of our sales, ordering, inventory and so forth, the only issue that we had is that we were an IBM dealership selling PCs. (We were owned by an Apple Store which is why the Mac on my desk.) I also know of small businesses that happily run Linux. Many large businesses actually rely on a version of *nix to maintain their data.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (04-09-19),irritant (03-09-19),Uncle Fester (03-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    ...Bloatware is not part of the Linux distro...
    I guess some people consider pre-installed Firefox and LibreOffice bloatware...
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

• The Following User Says Thank You to irritant For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (04-09-19)

Thanks

I will never forgive MS for removing minesweeper from Windows.
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

• The Following User Says Thank You to irritant For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (03-09-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by irritant View Post
    I guess some people consider pre-installed Firefox and LibreOffice bloatware...
    seeing as latest ubuntu is a 2 gig download, i'd say its getting pretty bloated, considering last xp fitted on a cd....

w10 x86 iso is 2.5 gig.....

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

Tiny (03-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

im with the hoe here

1.3 gb

& if you cant disable updates in windows well its easy as turning off the update service
    face it, most ppl that get hacked is Not because of a non updated computer, its because dumb asses open things they shouldn't, same as talking to that bitch Nicole from the nbn
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (08-03-20),Tiny (03-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I understand it needs to be downloaded and not everyone is happy with their internet connection. But its not relevant to the update itself.

If it was a major problem, you could go somewhere with fast internet (friends, family, internet cafe) and download it to a USB stick. You then wouldn't have to do it 3 times separately as you mentioned.
    Or buy a mobile data sim card from one of the cheaper resellers. While Windows (and every others systems) updates have become bigger, mobile data has become cheaper.

That's where the problem is you can't really do that, unless you know that every single machine is on same stage. Which is not true because of several reasons. Crashes, previous updates failures not been online for quite a long time, etc... Unless you bring the machine to your friends house, which I was considering it, but again nobody I know has fast internet as such, actually I'm probably the fastest one in the neighbourhood with almost 3 Mbps at the time... still on ADSL2! Currently moved to NBN with lowest package, which is delivering 10Mbps - yuppy!).

The update needs to know exactly in what stage the computer is, to download the correct files. Is not the same solution for all computers. That's why Microsoft released the application Windows 10 update assistant tool specifically for 1903. Much of the Computers were getting stuck with the "normal" download. That was the case of all my computers. I let things run normally since the release of the new version and I have to manually take action, because in the end the result was always the same, upgrade failed please try again later... Even with the Tool there was an hard case, that I had to try several times and several reboots, this computer was offline so to catch up took more time.

Of course the download is relevant to the update, without it, there's simple no update...

The suggestion of doing the update via a mobile sim card is not an option for me and will be something I will not recommend either. Actually I recommend to do the opposite on a phone do the updates on Wi-Fi not on metered mobile data...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Ferjo For This Useful Post:

irritant (03-09-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks

I have 7 updates available, I'll post again when I've finished. Back soon.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

irritant (03-09-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks

All done, and this one also included a re-boot, which is not usually required.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

irritant (03-09-19)

Thanks

Haha, 2.5 GB initially, and then about 50 GB for updates for the rest of your computer's natural life.

v. 1.5 GB initially, and then hard-pressed to get an update over 100 MB after that.

Like I said, for some of us with rubbish, slow and expensive internet plans stuck in 3rd world countries, there really isn't much of a choice.

As much as I would have loved to, I simply couldn't afford the data costs anymore. Those 50 GB over about 5-10 years equates, for me, to thousands of dollars.

What I have now is totally best of both worlds. I have Windows 10, but just don't let it near the internet. I do what I have to do on there with the programs I have to. Then, when I want internet-based tasks, I take 2 min to reboot into Ubuntu and away you go.

I would definitely recommend anyone, who is perhaps torn between the two, or locked-in to Windows because of some proprietary software program, to do the dual-boot option I have. It places no extra load on your machine's resources and works much better than a virtual box. I don't store many things on my HDD anyways, so it was a no-brainer to split it in half into two partitions.
    Last edited by irritant; 03-09-19 at 06:38 PM.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Seems some posters here don't understand the concept of bloatware.
    Bloatware are demo versions, adware and useless data mining apps that you get on most Android Phones and pre-installed Windows(10).
    I can't even use the Windows calendar app without signing up to the NSA Microsoft.

In Linux distros you get free full versions of very useful software and don't need to sign up to anything. That is NOT bloatware!
    It also save a lot of time creating a usable system.
    On Linux there is nothing I don't want but a bloated Windows has everything I don't want and a real PITA to get rid of it.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 03-09-19 at 07:21 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (04-09-19),hinekadon (03-09-19),irritant (03-09-19),Jma (03-09-19),tristen (03-09-19)

Thanks

next you'll be telling us your jehovah wittness's

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (03-09-19)

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I have 7 updates available, I'll post again when I've finished. Back soon.
    45 available here...3...2...1...go

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

All done, no fails, no reboot, no worries

EDIT: 178 MB of archives were required, hadn't updated for a few weeks, another plus, I choose when to update.
    Last edited by Jma; 03-09-19 at 09:14 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (03-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jma View Post
    All done, no fails, no reboot, no worries

EDIT: 178 MB of archives were required, hadn't updated for a few weeks, another plus, I choose when to update.
    What Windows 10 version are you on?

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ferjo View Post
    What Windows 10 version are you on?
    None, as my main system, have done for years.
    I run Win7 in a virtual machine on it if needed, usually for updating firmware on Garmin devices.
    I also run an old laptop with Win7 occasionally for the one thing I cannot do via a VM, transfer data/waypoints/tracks etc. to and from an old Garmin GPS60.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

Ferjo (04-09-19),hinekadon (04-09-19),tristen (04-09-19)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jma View Post
    hadn't updated for a few weeks, another plus, I choose when to update.
    Well that's nothing new, it's the same for W10.
    I choose when to update & I don't know how long it takes, as I don't sit there watching it.
    I set it to do the reboot for the update when I have other things to do.

If you are doing something real important, you can even pause updates for seven days, so it wont even check for them. Then it will automatically resume checking for updates & downloading in the background without interfering at all.
    It's not hard to manage at all.

Last edited by Tiny; 04-09-19 at 06:35 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

lets just settle it the old way
    i'll take tiny & hoe
    versus 3 of you linux guys

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

Tiny (04-09-19)

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Well that's nothing new, it's the same for W10.
    I choose when to update & I don't know how long it takes, as I don't sit there watching it.
    I set it to do the reboot for the update when I have other things to do.

If you are doing something real important, you can even pause updates for seven days, so it wont even check for them. Then it will automatically resume checking for updates & downloading in the background without interfering at all.
    It's not hard to manage at all.
    Provided it works as it's supposed to, I guess the pause for 7 days thingo isn't a bad idea.
    Rarely does Linux require a reboot after updating, normally only if the Kernel is upgraded.
    I use a script for my updates, run by a single click from a launcher on the Panel (Taskbar).
    After it's checked for any updates, which takes usually less than 10 seconds, it's just a matter of hitting the 'Y' key to start the process, I rarely watch it also, I've set the script to auto close the update window 5 seconds after the process completes.
    Only time I ever see errors, and it's very rare, is if one of the repositories (sites) the updates are fetched from is down for some reason, then it's just a matter of switching to another repo & it finishes without issue.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Philquad View Post
    lets just settle it the old way
    i'll take tiny & hoe
    versus 3 of you linux guys
    We'd be finished & off to the pub to celebrate before you guys even got started

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (04-09-19),lsemmens (08-09-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Pfft... update
    How about upGRADE?

I have a little lappy I haven't used in a while with Kubuntu 16.04.3 and when I switched it on it told me there is a new version of Ubuntu 18.04 available...duh!

So I said yes go for it

Obviously that took a while mainly because I probably wasn't witty enough to find faster servers for it to download all the packages.
    Anyhow I was using the laptop most of the time, doing stuff and at NO time was I interrupted or did it appear to run slower than than normal, just a small window in the top showing me the progress of the UPGRADE.
    Then it told me kindly to restart when I feel like it.
    The restart took maybe 15 seconds and BAZINGA... two generations later and all there and working, even the third party apps I had that are not from the Ubuntu repositories.
    Just four desktop links needed replacing that took me 30 seconds to do. That was it!
    Even all the dependences and sub programs for Krusader fully linked, super smooth.

So you Windows Fanboys, try doing a Windows 7 to 10 upgrade without losing a single minute of computer usage time and without any set up effort for your drivers and software.

Windows: Mouse movement has been detected, please restart the system

Linux: A NEW operating system has been detected, please restart the system
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 07-09-19 at 11:58 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (08-09-19),tristen (08-09-19)

• Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast