Thread: How long is the longest FLU you have ever had

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Default How long is the longest FLU you have ever had

As the title says "how long is the Longest flu you have ever had. For me this is the worse flu ever as I got it around mid March 19 and I still got it now. I've had in consistently from mid Mid March with maybe a few days here and there when I was good. I do know people have died from the flu but as my DOC is trying to working this out for me as I want to know if any one have had a flu for this long. Now I had very bad Flu's before but after 6 to 8 days it was gone but this one is not what I call a bad flu but its there and bothers me

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

irritant (21-08-19)

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Yep I had a bad flu once lasted all the way from alice springs to perth thats a long time in a three speed old 70s toyota with no brakes down the gun barrel hiway over two weeks from memory

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

irritant (21-08-19),lsemmens (21-08-19)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    Yep I had a bad flu once lasted all the way from alice springs to perth thats a long time in a three speed old 70s toyota with no brakes down the gun barrel hiway over two weeks from memory
    Funny thing is the Bad ones dont last long GOOD but the small ones the ones that are not as bad as the big ones last a long time for me. The worse I had before was 3 Months and that was 12 years ago now I have a record one which is 5 months.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

irritant (21-08-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Worst I ever had lasted over a month and it seemed to evolve into something worse every time I thought I was beating it. When I say crook I mean too ill to even stand up and the final stage ending up as double pneumonia which very nearly hospitalised me. Flu virus paves the way for all sorts of bacterial infections to get a foothold while your immune system is overworked on fighting the virus off and that's what usually extends the suffering time.

In contrast to that I had a milder sort of flu thing over a month ago (worst symptoms for a few days like temp around 40C) but quickly fought off and back to just normal cold symptoms within a week. Trouble is those 'cold' symptoms are still not completely beaten but at least it isn't as incapacitating as it originally was..
    Last edited by Skepticist; 21-08-19 at 12:50 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Skepticist For This Useful Post:

irritant (21-08-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,963 Times in 9,059 Posts

I had flu for a three months or so once. I reckon it lingered because I kept working shift work. The wife ended up throwing all the anti everythings in the bin (she called me an antibiotics aids case IIRC) and I went on a regime of vitamin supplements, particularly C.

Gone in under a week....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

irritant (21-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I had flu for a three months or so once. I reckon it lingered because I kept working shift work. The wife ended up throwing all the anti everythings in the bin (she called me an antibiotics aids case IIRC) and I went on a regime of vitamin supplements, particularly C.

Gone in under a week....
    How antibiotics may render flu infections more dangerous

Antibiotics leave mice vulnerable to the flu
    In the new study, Wack and team used a group of mice with healthy gut bacteria at baseline. Over 4 weeks, they gave these mice a mix of antibiotics through their drinking water before infecting them with the flu virus. They also infected some mice that they had not treated with the antibiotic mix so that they could compare the outcomes.

The team noticed that approximately 80% of the untreated mice with healthy gut bacteria survived the infection with the flu virus. Yet, of the mice who had previously received the antibiotic mix, only one-third were able to survive the viral infection.

So, perhaps there was something wrong with your antibiotics, or......

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

enf (21-08-19),irritant (21-08-19),Mr 672A (21-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skepticist View Post
    Worst I ever had lasted over a month and it seemed to evolve into something worse every time I thought I was beating it. When I say crook I mean too ill to even stand up and the final stage ending up as double pneumonia which very nearly hospitalised me.
    Yes the one I had in Sydney Hospitalize me. My Egyptian Doctor told me CLEARLY after this if you don't move to Townsville you will die with flu related. This is the reason why I left Sydney but found myself in Brisbane not Townsville. I can eat SH.it (Have a cast Iron Stomach) everyone in our family gets sick with the same rotten food and have no problems but have no tolerance against a common cold. It pull me down. I have no body fat on my chest but have a big stomach and get cold very easy, Also I have slightly lower core temperature and that doesn't help + very LOW BP.

irritant (21-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skepticist View Post
    Trouble is those 'cold' symptoms are still not completely beaten but at least it isn't as incapacitating as it originally was..
    Yes I like this now, spend the last two days replacing the 6 outside wall light to 6 LED downlights and two of them was a pain as it was just impossible to do as the idiot Electrician clipped them in the stud wall cavity then the Bricklayer cemented the twin and earth in the cement. I find myself with a cold Chest (make me feel horrible) so I have to use BIRD Heating packs that keeps bird alive at cold nights to keep my Chest warm.

irritant (21-08-19)

Thanks

Gone in under a week....
    Yes taking 3 tabs of Vitamin C ATM. Each are 500Mg trouble about this I forget to take them at least 3 days a week. Ps Just take them now.

irritant (21-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    How antibiotics may render flu infections more dangerous

So, perhaps there was something wrong with your antibiotics, or......
    For years I have a Blotted Stomach and feel like having a crap all the time but when I went to hospital for having my first stroke I notice after a few day in the Hospital my BLOATED stomach was gone so when I went home my stomach started to feel bloated again, I tried to simulate what I did in Hospital, Less Junk food Less eating but the only thing that was different was me eating yogurt so the wife bough yogurt and after this 4 days later the boated stomach was gone and touch wood 95% of time in the last 4 to 5 years my bloated stomach has been gone. I give 100% for the Yogurt I found one that does not turn me off with all the incrediants in there and it works. Rarely every now and then I have a Bloated Stomach but if that happens I take a IBS (irritable Bowel System) Tablet and it fixed me in two days

irritant (21-08-19)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

The flu is a virus .antibiotics wont do anything for you waste of time!!!!! vitamin c yep good any citric based fruit is vita c based . The best thing to do is breath ozone as virus cant live in a oxygen rich enviroment if you breath too much you get a headache and its gone

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

irritant (21-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    The flu is a virus .antibiotics wont do anything for you waste of time!!!!!
    The flu is most certainly a virus....but when the body is weakened fighting the flu virus, some individuals become extremely susceptible to bacterial infections....one of the common ones being pneumonia.

Antibiotics are used to treat, and in some cases prevent, these secondary infections.

Flu: Signs of Bacterial Infection

A bacterial infection may develop following infection with viral influenza. Signs of a bacterial infection include:

Ear pain that lasts more than 24 hours or severe ear pain that lasts longer than 1 hour.
    A sore throat that lasts longer than 2 to 3 days despite home treatment and does not "act" like a cold.
    Sinus pain that persists despite 2 to 4 days of home treatment, especially if nasal drainage is coloured rather than clear and fever is also present.
    Nasal drainage that changes from clear to coloured after 5 to 7 days of flu, while other symptoms (such as sinus pain or fever) are getting worse.
    A cough that lingers more than 7 to 10 days after other symptoms have cleared, especially if it is bringing up mucus (productive).
    Yellow, green, rust-coloured, or bloody mucus that is coughed up from the lungs, especially while other symptoms are getting worse. Mucus coughed up from the lungs is a more serious symptom than mucus that has drained down the back of the throat (post-nasal drip).
    These infections may sometimes need treatment with antibiotics.

Taking antibiotics as prevention

Antibiotics are the most common kind of medicine prescribed in the UK. They are a group of medicines that act against bacteria. Different types of antibiotics work in different ways, but they either kill off the bacteria or stop them growing and multiplying. They are mainly prescribed for a short ‘course’ to treat bacterial infections, often throat, chest or urine infections. Antibiotics can also be taken to prevent a bacterial infection developing.

I have a friend who has only 1.5 functioning lungs.........the minute he even looks like getting a cold or the flu the quacks put him on antibiotics.........the risk of overdoing the antibiotics is far outweighed by the risk of secondary infection taking hold.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

enf (21-08-19),irritant (21-08-19),Mr 672A (21-08-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,963 Times in 9,059 Posts

I have no problem with antibiotics. What I did after this was to NEVER take them for any reason unless it was something extraordinary, like say a serious mouth abscess.

The theory is that if you save them for emergencies then they may work. My kids all got over most issues with a thing called an immune system. We never rushed them to doctors for colds, flu or anything else like that. When they had a real issue, then antibiotics came into their own.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

irritant (21-08-19)

Thanks

I have no problem with antibiotics. What I did after this was to NEVER take them for any reason unless it was something extraordinary,
    Same here, Dont take Anything antibiotics until its needed, been warned about this. tomorrows test for Xrays is for Pneumonia.

irritant (21-08-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,921 Times in 1,282 Posts

3 years ago I had Flu for around 4 weeks but ended with double pneumonia and 2 week stay in hospital.
    I did get flu 25 years ago real bad that it came on within 2 days and could not walk more than 5 steps at a time but lucky it only lasted for 7 days.
    I still have not had the flu shots more so now that a friend got her self and all the kids (5) done then a week later 3 of kids where off school for 2 weeks.

SS Dave
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

enf (21-08-19),irritant (21-08-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I caught something back in the '70s and still have not managed to shake her off...................<runs><hides>
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (23-08-19),hinekadon (22-08-19),irritant (21-08-19),SS Dave (21-08-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

The only cure to flu is bourbon..........................I reckon I must have the longest bout of flu in history !!!

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

enf (22-08-19),irritant (22-08-19),Skepticist (22-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I caught something back in the '70s and still have not managed to shake her off...................<runs><hides>
    Not another one that got the 70's clap LOL

lsemmens (23-08-19)

Thanks

Anyhow had the Xray yesterday and will see whats happens, still feel Shi.t today, not as bad as Monday, this flu or whatever I got is behaving like a roller coaster