Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Will 5G usher in the end of C Band ?

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Ah yes transport we solved that one by using a boat trailer and rolling the dish on it vertically , Panel beating I use a sack full of sand on one side and a rubber mallet the dings come out easily but it takes two to do it , I have a 4.5meter at home china made newstar good dish well constructed surprisingly accurate as well . got a ten ft and 3.5mtr mesh and two under the trees ones about 5mtrs other is 12ft er the mesh dish has a skirt as well 73s don

Thanks

The $100 solution.

• The Following User Says Thank You to B52 For This Useful Post:

bellesdad (05-05-20)

Banned

Thanks

be good to do a test to see the 5g rejection lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    be good to do a test to see the 5g rejection lol
    It fixed my problem on several Asiasat 5 sites. The only downside is that TP's below 3700Mhz are rejected. In order to effectively isolate the interference the manufacturer opted for the DRO design.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    The $100 solution.
    Trouble for me as I need a twin input LNB for my Multi Switch

Thanks

For the last several weekends I have been trying to eliminate the 5G interference with no success at my parents location which is about 1km from a communications tower. I purchased a Titanium C1-PLL LNB with interference filter and still having problems.
    Before we start looking at other solutions ie. TVPlus Do you think the Mediastar LNB with 5G filter would make that big difference? If so where can I get one ?

PS: my first post guys, I'm getting desperate to keep the oldies happy

regards
    Joe

• The Following User Says Thank You to vk5ei For This Useful Post:

bellesdad (05-05-20)

Banned

Thanks

If the dish is pointed at the tower sorry no show in hell , If pointed away Maybe but you will have to put a skirt on it cheers Don

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

If the dish is pointed at the tower sorry no show in hell , If pointed away Maybe but you will have to put a skirt on it cheers Don
    Thats interesting info. The tower my way is 90 degrees beside my dish when looking at Asiasat 5 and when I say when looking at Intelsat 19 it behind it. Tell me My house in exactly in front of the Telstra tower ( house Blocks direct path from the tower) and my C Band dish + the house next door is a two storey house that also between my C Band dish and the Telstra tower. Just a note The distanc between the tower and out house is about 500- to 600m as a bird fly's.

Thanks

Useful info on this site

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aliashere For This Useful Post:

David071 (05-11-19),hinekadon (02-11-19),Mr 672A (03-11-19),Xplorer (03-11-19)

Thanks

The tower is located approx 90 deg to the side approx 1 km away and we also have a line of site to it. The antenna we are using is a 3m mesh dish so a skirt maybe a bit difficult.

The 3m dish is currently mounted at ground level and we also have another 2.3m mesh dish mounted on the roof of the house which also is having the same interference problem.

I originally thought it may have been a internal local noise source but we have followed the processes of elimination by turning all in house devices off.

Can you please tell me where I can buy that Medistar LNB and we will give that a go.

Thanks all
    regards
    Joe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vk5ei View Post

Can you please tell me where I can buy that Medistar LNB and we will give that a go.

Thanks all
    regards
    Joe
    Try your local supplier or mediastar.com.au

Banned

Thanks

gidday joe
    i would suggest that a homebuilt skirt will be the best place to start as its not a guess situation .It will increase the ability of the dish . It not a hard project to do you just need the circumference of the dish and some self tapping screws get a sheetmetal workshop to cut you some strips over 5 wavelengths at the lowers frequency so WL= 300 over freq in mhz so that sets the size of the skirt above the dish then join the strips together and screw it to the rim of the dish it can be as pretty or as ugly as you make it but it will work and keep the overload out of the dish which is the aim If you are lucky that could be all thats required ?Or not ? but its a cheap way to start , clear ?? or mud ?

Thanks

Thanks for your feedback guys, I have spoken to one of our local installers and he is having the same complaints from some of his customers. We will have a rethink about this problem and report back later.

Thanks
    Joe

Premium Member
    Thanks

I can see this issue becoming more prominent knowing 5G roll-out will only continue expanding.

The further 5G pushes into metro, regional and rural areas where most C-band dishes are installed, the more people will be affected with their OS C-band viewing.

Band notch and pass filters can only do so much, so I'm interested in seeing photos and hearing results of installed skirts on their dishes.

And I wonder what our broadcasters are installing to overcome this?
    Last edited by Xplorer; 03-11-19 at 09:01 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Banned

Thanks

They have already taken steps almost every dish used commercially has a skirt and a to protect it . Notches can only do so much ,people seem to think they can buy this magic device that will only remove the 5g interference thats not the case you cant buy your way out of it if you notch out a freq its gone ,finished ,finito ,ended, kaput, not there any more, it is not possible to just remove the 5g with out removing the signal.If you can stop the 5g from getting there in the first place then and only then can you make progress. anyone who thinks they can remove 5g interference after its been received is a mistaken fool as its already been mixed and becomes part of the whole signal . So its like trying to find a filter that will remove the 96 octane petrol from the 91 you put in by mistake your car cant tell petrol is petrol , receivers are the same signal is signal

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
    I can see this issue becoming more prominent knowing 5G roll-out will only continue expanding.

The further 5G pushes into metro, regional and rural areas where most C-band dishes are installed, the more people will be affected with their OS C-band viewing.

Band notch and pass filters can only do so much, so I'm interested in seeing photos and hearing results of installed skirts on their dishes.

I will have to find Photos of the Installation I was Involved with where we had to use Screen to block out interference from microwaves. Now this was around 1996 or 7, the dish 7.2M or larger was for GALAXY on top of building in Sydney and the issue was the same issue like what 5G is giving now. No LNB Setup would fix this but a UGLY strapped up mesh on the edge of the dish did fix it. If I remember it was on on one side and it had to go to the level where the LNB was. The dish was looking at Panasat 169 deg E or 166 deg E (forgotten)
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 04-11-19 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
    I wonder what our broadcasters are installing to overcome this?
    " Broadcasters " you mean commercial sites have long pockets. They use the expensive waveguide showing on the header post.

Banned

Thanks

PHP Code:
    They use the expensive wave-guide showing on the header post.[ 
    QUOTE][/QUOTE]
    the use the most economical way of transmitting and receiving ,as coax is to lossy for the signal paths . sure its expensive but cheap in the long run for operations
    Last edited by hinekadon; 04-11-19 at 12:33 PM. Reason: more

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    " Broadcasters " you mean commercial sites have long pockets. They use the expensive waveguide showing on the header post.
    Yes, ack that, but it could be out of reach financially for most end users ($750.00+ AU).
    Also noting it would make the installation quite cumbersome requiring additional support and knowledge to setup.

Still interesting to hear from anyone with what they tried that worked or failed and see their photos.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Banned

Thanks

No one seems to be interested in building any more yes i have made all sorts of things for rf in to the mm wave region even used steel box section as a wave guide with some success , Its only a matter of applying your self to the task built heaps of filters and notched etc they are simple so long as you are accurate with your measurements and a good supply of brass screws , or you could complain that you cant buy ???? like most dumbarses and wont have a go at anything cos they are scared they may fail or get their nails dirty oh diddums try building a six meter cavity duplexer out of corrugated iron and then tune it up and have it working then it falls off the truck to the site and gets backed over by the driver ( i think the remains are still where they crashed ) It was a tk bedford we "borrowed" from a carrying company sorry no photos cant be incrimated now can we lol

• Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast