Thread: Appropriate adapters

Thanks

Default Appropriate adapters

A friend has a TV ariel on his roof as well as a disused satellite dish, and a cable from it into his bedroom where he wants to connect to his TV for free-to-air reception. Two problems : 1. The cable in his bedroom has a terminal that to me looks like a conventional TV ariel, but he says that the plug does not fit into his TV ariel socket - assuming that is correct, are there adapters from dish-terminals to ariel-terminals - what should I look in Ebay for to acquire this ? 2. What kind of adapters would allow the cable now attached to the dish, to be connected to the TV ariel ?

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Satellite cabling typically uses F connectors and most terrestrial antennas also use F connectors.

Wall outlets from satellite dishes use F connectors, while most terrestrial TV antenna wall outlets are female PAL.

If a standard PAL male to male fly lead is used and the wall outlet is F type, then an F male to PAL female adaptor is what's needed.

From your post, it's unclear how your friend intends to connect the TV antenna to the existing satellite cable and if there are other TV antenna outlets currently connected to the TV antenna and if so, if they are still required to be connected, in addition to another outlet in the bedroom.

You haven't mentioned what type of cable/s your friend has from the wall outlet to the TV, which we need to know to determine which plugs/sockets/adaptors are required.

It would be helpful if you could post some photos of what connectors are currently in use... eg: wall outlets and fly leads.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

irritant (30-08-19)

Thanks

Wall sockets are not involved. In the bedroom there is a co-ax cable coming 'from the ceiling' - it has a terminal - plug - rather like a PAL (?) male, but I suspect the pin diameter exceeds the diameter of the female pin - because the friend says that the cable pug will not fit into his TV's antena socket.
    The screwthread in your pics does NOT apply in the bedroom. I can not tell from ground level what the connectors are on the roof to the TV antena and to the dish.
    "it's unclear how your friend intends to connect the TV antenna to the existing satellite cable" I was inquiring about the possibility of finding an adapter between the PAL-like male terminal on the coax cable-from-the-dish in the bedroom, and the ariel socket on the Tv - which I have not inspected but expect to be the standard PAL female.
    "and if there are other TV antenna outlets currently connected to the TV antenna" The TV antena is connected somehow to a TV in the lounge room - probably from a wall socket.

Photos are an excellent idea - but as my friend lives far away, I can not quickly provide them.

I am not sure what you mean by a fly-lead.

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Satellite cabling typically uses F connectors and most terrestrial antennas also use F connectors.

Wall outlets from satellite dishes use F connectors, while most terrestrial TV antenna wall outlets are female PAL.

If a standard PAL male to male fly lead is used and the wall outlet is F type, then an F male to PAL female adaptor is what's needed.

From your post, it's unclear how your friend intends to connect the TV antenna to the existing satellite cable and if there are other TV antenna outlets currently connected to the TV antenna and if so, if they are still required to be connected, in addition to another outlet in the bedroom.

You haven't mentioned what type of cable/s your friend has from the wall outlet to the TV, which we need to know to determine which plugs/sockets/adaptors are required.

It would be helpful if you could post some photos of what connectors are currently in use... eg: wall outlets and fly leads.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian42 View Post
    A friend has a TV ariel on his roof as well as a disused satellite dish, and a cable from it into his bedroom where he wants to connect to his TV for free-to-air reception. Two problems : 1. The cable in his bedroom has a terminal that to me looks like a conventional TV ariel, but he says that the plug does not fit into his TV ariel socket - assuming that is correct, are there adapters from dish-terminals to ariel-terminals - what should I look in Ebay for to acquire this ? 2. What kind of adapters would allow the cable now attached to the dish, to be connected to the TV ariel ?
    sounds to me to be a RCA plug ????

Thanks

Could well be RCA - have to check that.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Without photos we are just guessing, can you get your friend to take some piccies (of the plug in the room and how the cable is connected to the dish) and send 'em to you? Then you can post them here.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Administrator
    Thanks

A flylead is a common term for the coax cable from a TV (terrestrial, cable TV or satellite) wall outlet to the TV or receiver.

A coax cable hanging down from a ceiling could be absolutely anything... as that's not a standard installation method.

Your friend also needs to explain how exactly that 'hanging' cable is connected to his TV antenna, as just putting a connector on it to fit the TV antenna input may not be all that's required.

Some more info and photos will help.

Thanks

The friend is disabled and cannot photograph the roof connectors himself, so we just have to wait till someone can do it for him.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian42 View Post
    The friend is disabled and cannot photograph the roof connectors himself, so we just have to wait till someone can do it for him.
    In that case, it's probably easiest (and best) for someone to sort out the issue for him.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    sounds to me to be a RCA plug ????
    Or BNC on some very old installations.
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    In that case, it's probably easiest (and best) for someone to sort out the issue for him.
    +1 Where is he located, someone here may be kind enough to help, if they are nearby.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Default RCA plugs

They have a central pin prominently protruding beyond the 'collar'. The terminal on the hanging cable is MUCH more like a conventional co-ax plug, but the pin probably a bit thicker than that in the conventional co-ax plug. I may have a photo late tomorrow night.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Your description is of a rca plug as I picked earlier so to that extent I would have another guess and suggest that a former tennant had speakers on the wall high,thats why the cable comes from the ceiling the room probaly dont have a coax in it ???