Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Legal System in Japan

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

I've been to China many times and it's a very tourist friendly country and provided you're not actually involved in anything we would consider criminal activity then you will never have an issue.
    Even if you are dumb enough to do something which would be a victiminless crime, as a foreigner you're going to be given a LOT of the benefit of the doubt.

Though there are a couple of simple things you don't do which are obvious. You don't embarrass the government or the party. So any sort of protesting will get you some special treatment.
    They're sensitive about military activities, so taking photos of cool military planes etc can get you in trouble, but after being detained and questioned they are more likely just to confiscate cameras etc and let you go.
    Even taking photos of military personnel they are a little shy of photos unless it is as an official public display. Something they want you to see and tell your friends about.

My favourite thing about China is official corruption. Corruption is ignorant if it benefits he state, the victim and then the officials.
    If you're say arrested for say stealing a loaf of bread. The shop owner will tell the police, "he stole a loaf of bread".
    The police will then interrogate the criminal telling him to confess his crime. Much like the Japanese system with some differences. Eventually they confess though there are ways to play that too.
    Once you have "accepted" your guilt and confessed the process of damages is waay more fun.

The police will say, "The shop owner said you stole 3 loaves of bread!" ... "What no I only stole one!" (you entrapped yourself with the confession) ... You're already in this legal tar pit, so struggling only makes you tired and you sink further into the shit. Their version of petty corruption is to minimise the process, so the quicker justice happens the better it works for everybody. You pay the value of the 3 loaves and you're free.
    The police then go back to the shop owner and give him his compensation for the one loaf of bread and pocket the value of the other two. Bug Justice done simple.

The other thing to keep in mind in places like Asia is the culture differences. Saving face is really important. So if makes a mistake, if you can give them an exit without embarrassment they will usually consider that option.
    I would say you see the same thing in Australian police but in reality, you see it all over the internet these days. People fear embarrassment of being wrong more than just being wrong.

Making mistakes is a good thing, if you at least try and learn from them.
    I love my mistakes and I want to be wrong.

"You go wrong way Farang, this not Thailand, this Burma. You get out now! Go that way no come back!"
    I'm glad the guys with the guns were so polite.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (02-09-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Where did he stay ? A jail or Shanghai Market ?

My sister and brother in law live in Ningbo, China (population 8 million odd) with their 2 children (primary and secondary aged) and have for a number of years. They have found zero of the above.
    Shanghai Hyatt, then on a cruise ship that was chartered by the Chinese. So yes, typical tourist activities and why do you think that then their unruly behaviour should be accepted?
    Trump's trade wars may have changed their sentiment towards Westerners lately.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (02-09-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,077 Times in 3,348 Posts

I was there only a few weeks ago.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12