Thread: Paypal & Mobile Phones

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default Paypal & Mobile Phones

Had a phone call from a friend last night who had someone hack her paypal account. Her only recent purchase was done using her mobile phone. Mitigation factors have been taken, but. because I am not all that familiar with mobile technology, is using a mobile phone any less secure than a computer? What is the most secure method of online shopping?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

A computer using a wired connection....NOT wireless.

Don't use a computer running Windows [no need to tell you that though ]

I ALWAYS use a Mac with wired internet connection (less susceptible to hacking due to more secure operating system) for on-line purchases, banking etc. since my credit card details were hacked a few years ago.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (31-08-19)

Thanks

If you’re using PayPal, set up two factor authentication with Google Authenticator. That way, they need to have your mobile phone to log in. I feel this is safer than sending a text, since thieves sometimes port your SIM to another carrier, then get your one time key texted to their phone.

Use good passwords, and not the same one for every online account. Have them check their email addresses here: Despite the dodgy sounding name, Have i been Pwned is a legitimate service run by a Queensland security expert. It will tell you if the email address has been in a known data breach. If so, reset the passwords you’ve used for the sites in the data breaches and on any other sites the same password has been used on.

Have two email addresses. One for online forums, internet purchases, FaceBook and all that stuff that doesn’t really matter. Reserve the second email address exclusively for banking, PayPal, bills from utilities and (maybe) people you actually know and deal with face to face.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

Tiny (03-09-19),VroomVroom (02-09-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

So far all you lot have done is confirm my thinking. Not that that surprises me.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    A computer using a wired connection....NOT wireless.

Don't use a computer running Windows [no need to tell you that though ]

I ALWAYS use a Mac with wired internet connection (less susceptible to hacking due to more secure operating system) for on-line purchases, banking etc. since my credit card details were hacked a few years ago.
    Hmmmm sadly so wrong.
    Garbage about not using wireless or Windows.
    Perhaps you need to read the latest information if you think Mac is a less susceptible to hacking.
    There are hundreds of thousands of people that are on wireless only connections like myself. If you or anybody else can hack mobile wireless communications, I would like to see that, because it is never been achieved. Have been on mobile wireless since day one, and yes, made *thousands* of online purchases without any issues.
    Main thing is to use as Shred stated two factor authentication. PayPal should force two factor authentication.
    Last edited by lineland; 01-09-19 at 03:53 PM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lineland For This Useful Post:

sail (23-11-19),Tiny (03-09-19),VroomVroom (02-09-19)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Agreed. Anyone who thinks any particular system is less prone is dreaming. This weeks major announcement that iphones have been hacked for the last 2 years says it all, to some reason people seem to think Apple products are immune. This is the biggest known hacking of iphones ever.

The only thing that makes things safe is you as suggested by Shred. Use safe guards such as 2 factor authorization, its not hard to turn on in your settings. Passwords are a major cause of people being hacked, simple ABC123 or yourname69 passwords are easily hacked by hacking software that has a database of the most commonly used passwords. If passwords are a problem to remember, use a Password Manager such as Lastpass. Its free.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Tiny (03-09-19)