Thread: Old iPads, regaining usefulness !!!

Banned
    Thanks

Default Old iPads, regaining usefulness !!!

OK, you can use older devices for 'Non-Internet' uses, but there is a 'trick' to get them to do more!!

Like, trying to download the 'NetFlix' App results in an error as you need a more modern device! Aargghh. (Not always!).
    The 'Work-Around' involves using 'iTunes' on your PC etc, but NOT the latest version!! Quite awhile ago, they took away the ability of 'iTunes' to
    deal with/save/install APPS, so you need to find the last version that DID. That is the older iTunes version 12.6.5 So 1st go to this link...

And the scroll down to the section headed "Install apps with iTunes", and select either 2, , or option for the Installer.
    Note also that they say, "You won’t be prompted to download new versions of iTunes after you install this version. "

Now that YOU have control of Apps again, (on your PC etc), find/download the latest App for say 'NetFlix'. Plug in your iPad or what ever, and try
    to copy/install the App to it. It will complain though!!, but will NOW produce a 'PopUp' to the effect that "Would you like to download an older version
    that works with your device!
    ". YES!! It does so, and then installs a working version with full functionality!!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ah-Those-Old-Days! For This Useful Post:

chiefaj (20-04-22),LeroyPatrol (10-10-21),lsemmens (11-10-21),mkhannah (09-10-21),Uncle Fester (09-10-21),william10 (09-10-21)

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Default Old iPads, regaining usefulness !!!

There is another, far easier way if you have another, more modern iOS device available.

- make sure the newer device and older device are on the same Apple ID, or that accounts are linked as a ‘family’.

- download the app you want on the newer device. This will add the app it to your Apple ID.

- download the app on the old device. A message will appear saying it’s too old, but it will allow you to select an older, compatible version of the app (if available).

Of course this relies on you having a newer device. If that isn’t the case, iTunes (or third party methods) are the way forward.

Edit:
    Actually, there may be another way, however I haven’t tried this and can’t confirm if it works. It relies on both the method above, and your method.

If your older version of iTunes is linked to the same Apple ID as your older iPad, you should (in theory) be able to download the app in iTunes, then because the app is linked to your Apple ID, download an older, compatible version of the app (if available) to the iPad.
    Last edited by peteramjet; 09-10-21 at 04:17 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (09-10-21),mkhannah (11-10-21)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

All older iPads can be jailbroken and then they become extremely useful but often you need that older iTunes version to get started and the likely reason why Apple disabled this side loading ability.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (10-10-21)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    All older iPads can be jailbroken and then they become extremely useful but often you need that older iTunes version to get started and the likely reason why Apple disabled this side loading ability.
    I 'USED' to do slightly naughty thing, (I'm not condoning piracy!)... especially if an App is way over-priced & I just want to 'play' with it, non-commercially,
    was to download a paid App. You have something like (?) 45-Mins or something to quickly 'appraise' it, realize it's not what you want, and have it removed,
    whereby you are re-funded!! However, after downloading it, use my PC to save the App before having it removed! Then re-install from the PC!!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

I buy all my games from GOG.
    They have no DRM or forced regular online checks like Steam.
    GOG has a money back guarantee.
    So I could do that naughty thing and download the game and ask for my money back and they would never know if I continue to use it offline or firewall blocked.
    But I don't.
    They simply trust most customers will do the right thing and seem to survive well.

As I would never have a Steam account due to their invasive polices I look for alternative sources of their products.

Apple literally forces me to download ipa files for older devices from alternate sources as they are not supported any more, well it is also the provider of the app who decides that.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 12-10-21 at 11:28 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (17-10-21),nesir (07-11-21)