Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Sri Lankan refugee story

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default The Sri Lankan refugee story

Plenty of people screaming "oh the humanity" etc in regards to this. Protests, candlelight vigils etc, the usual crap.

He and her came here separately by boat smugglers in 2012 and 2013 claiming refugee status. Sent to detention by the then Labor Government who told them based on their stories that they are NOT refugees as defined by the UN and they would be deported.

They then had 2 children and took us to court (at our cost of course). They have appealed in every court possible and got knocked back, even the Administrative Appeals Tribunal long known for idiotic leftist decisions knocked them back.
    The husband claims that he was forced to join the LTTE, also known as the Tamil Tigers and the wife claims her former fiance was killed by them. (errr......bit strange you would get with the enemy ?)

They have been living in country QLD and the husband has been working, so they have got the community onside. They are currently deported as far as Christmas Island, as they got a court injunction on the youngest childs rights to stay in Australia (if granted permanently they can all stay......they did the same with the other child and it failed).

Some interesting news today :

Immigration lawyer Simon Jeans, who worked with the past 10 immigration ministers, ... said it was clear the family had come to Australia by boat in 2012 and 2013, but the dad’s information about being forced to join the militant group the Tamil Tigers (LTTE) in 2001 was contradicted by his travel.

The family has claimed, if they were forced to go back to Sri Lanka they would face persecution for Nades’ links to the Tamil Tigers.

But from 2004 to 2010, Nades travelled freely between Kuwait and Qatar from Sri Lanka.

The civil war ended in 2009, leading Australia to find his alleged links to the Tamil Tigers would not be “of concern to the Sri Lankan authorities”.

“Anyone who was associated with the LTTE or was suspected of being with the LTTE would not have been coming and going into Sri Lanka,” Mr Jeans told the ABC.

“They would have been picked up by security forces.”
    Wow, forced to join a terrorist army that allows you air travel to other countries ? How lucky is that ?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

eaglem (03-09-19),mi_tasol (06-09-19),VroomVroom (03-09-19)

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks

Now for some strange reason, we (Australia) havent officially listed LTTE as a terrorist organisation. Unites States, UK, entire European Union (about 30 countries), Canada, India........but not us.

So he claims he cant go back to Sri Lanka as he would not be safe as a member of LTTE. The Sri Lankan civil war ended 10 years ago.

So what have LTTE done ?
    Just read and scroll down from this link :

We must be very very smart not to see them as terrorists.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

eaglem (03-09-19)

Administrator
    Thanks

Peter Dutton wrote a very well stated factual letter on this which appeared in the Courier Mail today :

EVERY migration case is complex and there are hundreds of cases each year where we grant visas to families with sick children, elderly visitors to our country who have fallen ill or people who have heartbreaking stories otherwise.

In every case the detail is scrutinised and on compassionate grounds yearly we help literally thousands of people including the primary applicant as well as their family members. The public rarely hear the detail of that compassion because the individuals don’t seek media attention.

The case of the family from Sri Lanka is also a complex case and has attracted a lot of media attention with many false claims by refugee advocates and Labor opportunists.

The mother and father arrived illegally by boat in 2012 and 2013 respectively. They were part of the 50000 people who arrived on 800 boats under Mr Rudd and Ms Gillard.

Labor initially put them into detention and they were told all those years ago that, on the details they provided, they were not refugees under the UN definition so they would have to go home. They were told that they would never settle permanently in Australia, just like many others who arrived by boat. They never accepted that decision.

They have gone on to appeal to the Federal Magistrates Court, the Federal Court and the High Court, costing the Australian taxpayers millions of dollars.

They have explained their circumstance to every decision maker and Judge and every one of them has rejected their claim for protection.

That is that they are not refugees.

The UN estimates there are some 68 million people in the world today who similarly want a better life.

The civil war in Sri Lanka is now over and Tamils from around the world have returned to their country and have been accepted back by a democratically elected inclusive Government. It is true though that Sri Lanka still doesn’t have the industry, welfare system or job opportunities we enjoy in Australia.

Apart from the family in question, 1500 other Sri Lankan’s with similar stories who arrived in Australia by boat have already been deported back to Sri Lanka and others will follow. They have done so safely and have re-started their lives in a country now marked by peace and not war.

It’s not that this family or those in the 68 million figure are unworthy or not sincere in their desire to live in Australia. The reality is our Government, with the support of the majority of Australians, has taken tough decisions over a number of years now to keep our borders secure and people off boats.

At the same time we have brought refugees in who, in many cases faced imminent death or persecution, and their cases are much more compelling than those who are not refugees but simply want a stronger financial future for their families.

The other reality is that we have a cap of 18750 refugee places each year and we take those most in need. In the year before last, which included the Syrian intake, we took more people through our Offshore Program than in any year over the last 30.

That is not a fact you will hear acknowledged by the advocate groups and Labor leaders who are still guilty that their management of our borders saw 1200 people drown at sea.

I have not had one death at sea on my watch and I don’t intend to let that happen now.

The Ministers in that period would still live with the images and briefings of children half eaten by sharks and others placed in detention.

We won’t take a moral lecture when the reality is we have a compassionate approach that is helping thousands each year, but where somebody has been told consistently all the way through to the High Court that they are not refugees, then those people have to return back to their country of origin.

Advocates claim a high moral ground but their approach results in people dying. Other Sri Lankan families with beautiful young children were part of the 1200 who died at sea, and they shouldn’t be forgotten in this debate.

We do have to make tough decisions in some cases and compassionate decisions in others. We have been fair, clear and consistent for a long time: we are not allowing people who arrive by boat to settle in Australia.

This family had been told long before they had children that there was never a prospect of them remaining in Australia.

Like many other countries, Australian law provides that children born here to non-citizens adopt the status of their parents. If the opposite was the case, that is if children born in Australia to non-citizens automatically became citizens, and by extension their parents, there would be many more than 50,000 people arriving by boat and having children on arrival.

There has been six Sri Lankan ventures that have been intercepted, disrupted or failed already this year.

The people smugglers are alive and well and watch all of these cases very carefully. They will look for any opportunity to market and sell their evil product.

We have got all of the children out of detention who were put there by Labor and we are not returning to the days of hundreds drowning helplessly at sea.

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (02-09-19),eaglem (03-09-19),enf (02-09-19),lsemmens (02-09-19),shred (03-09-19),Thala Dan (02-09-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

It gives the hand ringers something to do for a few weeks, along with the complicit 'news' outlets

• The Following User Says Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (02-09-19)

Administrator
    Thanks

Can you imagine the floodgates opening if they granted these people asylum ? It would be endless.

They may well be decent people, who knows ? But regardless, Australia has been clear with them since day one. Its rather ironic that labor are screaming for their release, yet they were the ones that deemed them not to be refugees in the first place.

I am very surprised Alan Jones has been sucked in to supporting this. He is in general an intelligent bloke, so I have no idea why he took the bait hook, line and sinker. He should know very well the repercussions of allowing them to stay......they are deemed to NOT be refugees and allowing them to stay simply says mount a media claim and scream at the top of your lungs and you will get what you want.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

I often wonder with these stories. The Minister does have a discretion, right or wrong. Sometimes there are reasons which justify the minister intervening. Having said that, I am yet to be persuaded that this is one of them. Just because some activists say that these people are supported by a whole community does not mean that this is so. Activists of all persuasions love to claim wide support which is usually almost non-existent. More likely in this case is that they are being supported mostly by a few activists in that community. Simply having a job in a small town and making a few friends is not in itself sufficient to override their reported misconduct and lies. If they genuinely have gone beyond this and attracted the respect and support of a whole community the minister's intervention should then be considered, but even then may not be warranted. There have I understand been such cases in the past, though in my view they should be few and far between.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (03-09-19),eaglem (03-09-19),Thala Dan (02-09-19),VroomVroom (03-09-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Some of the reporting has been scandalous at best. The ABC have out done themselves on this one. And I saw Fitzgibbon on the telly today doing his best to deflect to this from the current corruption mire the ALP has embroiled itself in.

The ALP said no, the current government said no, ALL courts of appeal and the High Court said no.....AND I see six boats from Sri Lanka have been stopped, so the smugglers were all ready for this decision to go their way thanks to the hand wringers.

Hasta La vista.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

admin (03-09-19),DB44 (02-09-19),eaglem (03-09-19),Thala Dan (02-09-19)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

As a leftist loony I was right with you admin until your quote
    I am very surprised Alan Jones has been sucked in to supporting this. He is in general an intelligent bloke""
    But I think there is one very important point that has been missed here, I read that the father had returned to Sri Lanka twice in the past which makes a mockery of the whole argument re the families safety
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

eaglem (03-09-19),enf (02-09-19),Thala Dan (02-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    I am very surprised Alan Jones has been sucked in to supporting this. He is in general an intelligent bloke"
    The first sentence......I think you'll find this is a bit of reputation repair on the part of Jones, in light of the recent Jacinda Ardern fiasco.

The second sentence.......I am as bemused as you

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    But I think there is one very important point that has been missed here, I read that the father had returned to Sri Lanka twice in the past which makes a mockery of the whole argument re the families safety
    Who are the Tamil family from Biloela and why are they being deported?

The family also had their appeal rejected by the Federal Circuit Court in June last year.

In that judgment, the judge noted that Nades had returned to Sri Lanka on three occasions during the civil war and there was no evidence to suggest his family still living in Sri Lanka was at risk from authorities.

She also noted the passage of time since the Sri Lankan civil war, which ended in May 2009.

Hard to argue with that rationale.
    Last edited by Thala Dan; 02-09-19 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I'm sorry, I'm a cold hearted bastard but these endless poor hard done by people have worn out my sympathies.
    They do this to themselves. It is their own country men who create the shit holes they live in then they expect to come somewhere else and in 90% of cases it's because they can live the rest of their days on social security and bludge off the system.

I don't see why we even give these people the time of day. Clearly they are lying POS just trying to scam the system. Just take a hard line, kick them out and be done with it.
    The soft of heart and head will forget about it soon enough and move on to some other cause a lot faster than indulging these people and wasting our money on them which they don't deserve.

Fed up with this country being played and acting like patsys.
    One application, one appeal, no sorry, you don't qualify, We have to pay to send you back which is more than you deserve, NEXT!

Fking amazing. Where is my free representation in the high court as an an Australian Citizen from generations back?
    Last edited by george65; 02-09-19 at 06:05 PM.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (03-09-19),eaglem (03-09-19),iannic52 (03-09-19),VroomVroom (03-09-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I can't see it as a wise move to make an exception in this case as that creates a precedent which will certainly be exploited forever after.
    Cold hearted I know but this risks re-opening the floodgates for 'asylum seekers'

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Skepticist For This Useful Post:

allover (02-09-19),alpha0ne (03-09-19),eaglem (03-09-19),hinekadon (02-09-19),SS Dave (02-09-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

The quote from Peter Dutton, above, seems to sum up the situation extremely well, and succinctly. It seems that they had settled, and integrated into the community in Queensland, that, on it's own, does not make their case any stronger. Sadly, for all, they must return from whence they came. I believe that the minister has commented that they still have the option to apply for legal immigration status upon their return to Sri Lanka. The case, therefore, is not as open and shut as it might seem from the professional stirrers though.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

eaglem (03-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

It's a hard call. We all know that it would open the floodgates, so it requires a bit of tough love.

I think the solution might be to do a deal with the family. Not one they are going to like, but one they might accept.
    That is to let their children keep their Australian citizenship if they keep quiet and accept the decision. I'm sure they can make the best of that situation.
    I don't know what their situation is within the country, employment and involvement etc. But if they keep quiet, in the undetermined future they can re-apply for PR without malice of the current situation and they might be accepted. There is no guarantees, but if they are seen to be deported which helps the government's hardline policy, then when nobody is looking, they can quietly come in the front door. Talking to the media when they get back, and that PR might evaporate.

I had a friend who found himself in the situation of being here illegally. He had lived here for 10 years and then separated from his partner. He was self funded retiree, so he was no burned. But one day immigration came knocking and threatened to deport him back to his 1st world country. Rather amusing that he didn't want to be deported to the USA. Thousands of Mexicans would volunteer to take his place.
    All he wanted was to be left alone to die in this country. He did eventually because he wouldn't seek treatment for cancer he later acquired. He didn't want to cost the Australian health system anything and he was more afraid of immigration than he was of dying of cancer.

I understand the position of the government and I don't blame anybody but my friend who had a few options open to him and he didn't take them.

I don't have a solution to immigration issues.
    Though I often wonder what would happen if we did just open the floodgates and all border crossing wee open to everybody. What would happen?
    It's an interesting thought experiment.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

eaglem (03-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    ...Though I often wonder what would happen if we did just open the floodgates and all border crossing wee open to everybody. What would happen?...
    Geez, just a little bit of patience there trash. You guys will find out soon enough.
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Though I often wonder what would happen if we did just open the floodgates and all border crossing wee open to everybody. What would happen?
    We'd be over run by every dead beat budging bit of scum especially Muzzos who WOULD take over well and truly and all the decent people trying to get in whom would work and contribute rather than bludge, would change their minds and go elsewhere. The place would be nothing but another completely corrupt, lawless, 3rd world shithole inside of 10 years after all these people that couldn't get in anywhere else ran the place into the ground.

Not much thought is needed, just a bit of a google on what has happened to countries that have opened their borders even just for a little while.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

eaglem (03-09-19),VroomVroom (03-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

That is to let their children keep their Australian citizenship if they keep quiet and accept the decision. I'm sure they can make the best of that situation.
    The children do not have Australian citizenship, so they can do nothing to ‘keep’ it. The children are citizens of their parents country.

These people have been found to be unlawful by every person and tribunal that has reviewed their matter, from the Immigration Department (then under Labor) through to the High Court. They should have been removed many years ago, but instead thought they would try and game the system. Well, unfortunately for them, they lost.

The best situation these people can hope for is to leave the country in a compliant manner, and not need to be physically forced into a plane.

Thanks

Every court in the land, plus the relevant department have determined that they are not refugees.
    Quite frankly they should have all assets seized to help reimburse us, the taxpayers, for all their failed appeals etc.
    Further as they have lied about their status to try to illegally stay in this country they should be banned from re entry for any reason for a minimum of 25 years.

Further as the civil war in Sri Lanka has been over for years and it appears to be stable every other Sri Lankan now non refugee should be given 30 days to leave, or the above applies. The spaces of these who leave could be added to our genuine refugee intake.

Am I harsh, yes. Am I fair, I think so.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madtech For This Useful Post:

eaglem (03-09-19),george65 (04-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

i am really really surprised that the refugee scum actually had a job!!! at the expense of some local person no doubt

good riddance to terrorist rubbish , and i hope the leftards supporting them lose a lot of money in the process

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (03-09-19),eaglem (03-09-19)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Me thinks it Possibley a SCAM and they now Australian is hell bent of saving kids and possibly made the kids so they can get into the country. Now me being Different I say let them in but if they get divorced in the next 50 years send them back where they come from as most will do anything to get into this country

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Can you imagine the floodgates opening if they granted these people asylum ?
    You will have plenty of babies

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast