Thread: Volkswagen now caught diddling fuel figures on petrol vehicles

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Volkswagen now caught diddling fuel figures on petrol vehicles

Personally, I don't know why people still persist with them. Buying a VW is like buying a politician, you cant believe anything its telling you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (03-09-19)

Look Here ->

Thanks

Yeah i'd never buy a VW or their clones - Skoda,Seat etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Personal I think the whole emissions thing is a total crock of shit.
    Oh dear, they put out a bit more pollution than what they were supposed to. BFD!

I'd never buy a VW because of their Ludicrous parts and service pricing but all the emissions hoo haa, Who gives a rats arse anyway.
    VW are no different to ANY other vehicle manufacturer. They are all corporate bastards. Only difference is, VW got caught. Plenty of evidence to show other manufacturers weren't exactly innocent angels either.

Seems ridiculous to me that they worry about the cars putting out a bit more emissions than they should but Burnout competitions, tractor/ sled pulling and drag racing which cause's more pollution that 10,000 of these cars would ever put out is turned a blind eye to. It you are going to worry about one thing, worry about it all or shut the fk up and get off the high horse.

Nothing more than Virtue Signalling BS hypocrisy to me.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

loanrangiel (02-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    Oh dear, they put out a bit more pollution than what they were supposed to. BFD!
    No, because they are part of the people that drive this agenda in the first place. It was their leadership that instituted emissions regulations in the first place to try and lowball other countries' manufacturers. So, it's only fair that the whole thing now comes back to bite them in the arse.
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

The last good VW was made last century in the mid 60s, even after that the Beetle went downhill.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

the only good VW is the ............... , hang on , none of them are good. I'll extend that to include anything related to the Fiat Chrysler group . expensive shitboxes with bugger all parts and servicing backup.

mind you ,in the aussie market , Toyota and the others have gone downhill recently as well but thats due to lazy arse goverments not enforcing their own pathetic useless lemon laws.

• The Following User Says Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

irritant (03-09-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

So it seems here, we have a lot of people who have never owned a VW and would never buy a VW, telling us how bad they are......
    Brand name followers hey.... Hmmmm i seem to remember Toyota not doing so well recently
    So would you never buy a Toyota?
    And as for LR3 and LR4 reliability
    Last edited by ol' boy; 03-09-19 at 08:32 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    So it seems here, we have a lot of people who have never owned a VW and would never buy a VW, telling us how bad they are......
    yeah of course - i'll get a T shirt that says " id rather push my Toyota than own a Volkswagen"

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

irritant (03-09-19),ol' boy (03-09-19)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

We could always wheel out the diesel thread

Post 125, Hoe loves them.

Hey OB, have to love your quote from 2015

"You get the feeling this VW emissions scandal is going to drag on for a long time..... "

You obviously can see the future

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

irritant (03-09-19),ol' boy (03-09-19),Tiny (03-09-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Well, we have had VW's in the family

1976 VW Kombi (My Pa had it for 20+ years, did road trips all over Oz, used at a daily driver, etc... Heaps of love to keep those old girls signing along)

2000 VW Golf Cabriolet (Girlfriend bought it after having a '96 Honda Civic, was an awesome car, shit all over the Honda Civic for road handling, refinement, and build quality)

2018 VW Allroad Wagon (My Cousin has this as her family car, drags around 2 kids, bikes, crap.. its small and yes, servicing has been $$$, but no complaints)

I've often considered a VW Transporter for work, but never pulled the trigger.
    Yeah, i know about the all complaints around VW, but after going out with a girl that dealt with these complaints, its seemed VW owners considerd they had bought a BMW or AUDI and expected to be treated as such... Just because they had purchased a VW. IE: They sooked about anything.

We have never had an issue with any

I've had 8 times more trouble with my Toyota Landcruiser HDJ100, the so called legendary build, the crown of Toyotas engine building....
    Pfft, what a load of shit that statement is.... They are the same or worse than any vehicle, they all have their problems.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 03-09-19 at 06:47 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Aww, people struggling with their Veedubs and Toys...

Time to get a Ford gentlemen.
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

Thanks

Never said a thing about them being good or bad and never owned one. One good mate of mine sold them for a couple of years. He wouldn't own one because of parts and service costs. Another good mate was the service manager/ head mechanic for a stealership. He wouldn't own one because of parts and Servicing costs and virtualy speaks with a shake in his voice when he does recount what he has seen. Do you know how much it costs to have a gearbox changed in a van which you MUST do at the 80K Km mark or the thing eventually shuts down?
    Clue: It's about the same as what the Van was worth when it had 40 k km on it.

I would be a complete idiot to ignore these guys warnings whom have better than owned them and a lot better insight than 90% of owners would.

I think they make some really exciting and interesting cars. I'd love a V10 Toureg or even one of their stove hot little hatch backs. I just know I'd shit a kidney having to pay the prices VW charge for even basic spares and go mental ( more mental) if I got hit with their Diagnostic and repair costs.

Not telling anyone how bad they are at all, Just I'm not rich enough to own and properly service and look after one.... any one from VW.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (04-09-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by irritant View Post
    Aww, people struggling with their Veedubs and Toys...

Time to get a Ford gentlemen.
    They not much better....
    Costs plenty for parts.... Hard to sell
    Thirsty on juice..

Last edited by ol' boy; 03-09-19 at 08:54 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (03-09-19),irritant (03-09-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Mate's dad was a mechanic and loved the Kombis. He was German, but never had a bad word for them, and never had any issues. That said, they were all pre-70s.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Back on the topic, those Litres/100 Stickers on cars sold here, all cars, every car are such a load of shit....
    So you can hardly blame VW alone....

They all tell porkies

Thanks

Back on the topic, those Litres/100 Stickers on cars sold here, all cars, every car are such a load of shit....

They all tell porkies
    true , there was a story recently about Mitsubishi having to buy back a new Triton because it used far more fuel than what the sticker stated.

Thanks

They all tell porkies
    Exactly!

There is an old Joke that they must do the mileage testing with tyres inflated to 100 PSI using a lightweight Jockey for a driver with some sort of High energy fuel and following a wind break vehicle round the track for the testing to get the numbers they do which no one in real world testing ever seems to get.

How could they? 99% of people don't drive carefully, they rarely check their Tyre pressures, most women think the boot of a car is a Mobile storage unit and drag around 200Kg of crap everywhere they go, many blokes have 100 KG of tools and other essentials with them, family cars carry the extra weight of ... Families...and all they go anywhere with and so it goes. Any of this and a lot more makes coming near test figures a Physical Impossibility. The Minute you add a passenger you are pretty much guaranteed to get worse economy unless you drive like a pain in the arse mobile obstacle on the road. The second you drive in peak hour traffic you are behind the 8 ball on economy same as when you switch on the AC and drive round all summer ( and often beyond) with that on.
    They only way you can meet test figures ( maybe) is to drive to the same ( unrealistic) conditions as the tests were conducted at which isn't realistic in everyday use at all.

That said, I remember many years ago in my younger days when a fuel strike was on. I used to use about a tankfull of petrol a week going to and from work. Instead of driving like a typical young bloke I was worried about running out of fuel so I drove like grandma. That week instead of using a tank of petrol I used about a quarter of a tank. That was an eye opener although as soon as the strike was over it was back to pretty much a tank a week again.
    The thing is Driving habits are the biggest and ultimate decider of economy ( and repairs and other things) than anything else.
    Before people blame the vehicle, they should make sure they are driving the thing correctly.

Most economical car I ever had was a little Peugeot 405 Diesel with the turbo turned up and the wastegate blocked and a the rear Muffler deleted.
    Thing went bloody well . Fully ( and I mean FULLY) loaded with the mrs, kids and all our crap on a holiday up north I averaged 6L /100km for the trip. Might not be the most economical car out there but for what it hauled around especially, it was certainly the most economical car -I- ever had.
    That little Pug was also the most unreliable car I ever had but that's another story.

I was running the thing on Veg oil like I have everything else for the last 16 years next month, so really I couldn't care about consumption other than for range when I go away. There is nothing more economical than free fuel.

Neighbours swear their little Diesel Nissan gets 4L/100 and the Navara ute gets 6.5. There is no beating Diesel for economy if that's what you are after although lots of people pay the significantly higher price for a diesel for fuel savings but never drive the things far enough to make back the higher purchase price in the first place.
    Over all they would be much better buying a petrol because they could have $5-8000 or more up their sleeves to start with and if they only do 5-10K KM a year, they will never make back the difference. Very much like people Paying so much more for an EV for the supposed lower running costs they will never recoup in the lfe of the vehicle over a conventional vehicle. They will always skew the figures to show what they want though and justify their beliefs. Their money, they are free to waste it however they want, just don't try to sell me on the green Koolaide.

Many people only look at what they want to see and Ignore the big picture of over all costs and what at the end of the day would cost them the least from start to finish.

Anyone that believes fuel consumption figures from any vehicle is naieve in the extreme and probably a worse still, a tight arse to be concerned with them in the first place.