Thread: WIFI alarm for float switch on a boat

Thanks

Default WIFI alarm for float switch on a boat

Hi guys, Im looking for something pretty simple, I have a boat that has a optus 4G wifi router installed, it is on 24/7 and I use it to monitor a stand alone wifi camera. I am wanting to add simple alarm that tells me when a float switch in the bilge has been activated, something that will connect to my existing 4G wifi router and sends me a notification that the float switch had been activated, anyone got any ideas?

cheers Yobbo

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Hi,

I am not a boat person so not sure what a float switch is. But if its a simple switch a resistor an be put across it and you can use any type of alarm with a remote mobile app to tell if the contact is open or closed, creating an alarm therefore, sending an alert to your phone.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

A little Raspberry Pie or Adrino should do it....
    Yet knowing how bad our own Bildge pump float switches are, I'd prefer a second camera with IR in the Bildge
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

As you already got a ir camera and the float switch if you put a ir led across the pump with about a 2k resister in series and place it in the field of view of the camera it will be seen by the camera as a bright lite and activate the router so you dont need any fancy electronics for it don , ask unkie fester for a circuit he will draw one up in to sec flat im sure Hahaha

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

There are loads of WIfi prebuilt boards on flea bay that could be hooked up. Could also use a Wifi shield board on arduino or get a version with the wifi built in.

If the float switches are not reliable, I'd just use a couple of metal plates as a level indicator and hook them to the gate of a mosfet. liquid comes up to the level of the plates, mosfet switches, easy. You can turn these things on and off by touching the gate pin with your finger. A couple of plates close spaced with a liquid completing the circuit would be plenty enough to switch them. Standard bleed resistor to stop any false indications between the gate and the drain and you are there.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Thumbs down yep

That sort of shit causes boats to sink because people rely on it ringing their phones but the salt atmosphere soon makes the thoroughly un reliable