Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police and Emergency Vehicles, 40Kph speed limit

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Police and Emergency Vehicles, 40Kph speed limit

I had to start a new thread, as the old one was closed.

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but so many of these "new laws" just escape me when i am out driving, i have no idea how you are meant to remember something 35 + years after you got your licence....

This has come to my attention again, as i drove passed (almost hit) a Police Vehicle that had pulled up around a blind corner in a 100kph zone
    I was in a dense forest area, driving a very familiar road, keeping an eye out for idiot cyclists that were also on the road that has NO Shoulder.

When i came around a sweeping lefthand bend, doing 100kph (90-100) to find a Cop 4WD parked with his 2 passenger side wheels still on the road, lights on, opening his door to get out to attend a dead Kangaroo of all things (which was well off the road).... FFS.

I did what i'd always do when something suddenly appears out of the blue, scanned up the road, moved well over
    (crossing a solid single line or double lines, i really cant remember it was that sudden).......
    I had a line of vehicles behind me, so couldn't really jump on the brakes.....

I thought i did the right thing, gave the Blueberry plenty of room

I get to home and tell the Mrs, she reminds me that i need to slow to down to 40kph to pass an emergency vehicle with its lights on
    Holy crap, i was lucky to even see it, let alone wash off 60kph to pass it... was all too late by then.

I think the dead Kangaroo at the same location proves my point

The cop did look at me strangely as he stepped out.... Lets see if anything comes in the mail
    I'd estimate i got down to around 70kph as i passed him, by then i had an on coming vehicle heading towards me
    Last edited by ol' boy; 05-09-19 at 03:09 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Laws in NSW will be implemented shortly to extend the trial of the 40km ‘blue/red light’ emergency service passing limit to roadside assistance workers (NRMA, etc) and tow trucks, when they are flashing a yellow light.

I don’t know how a motorist is meant to distinguish between a yellow flashing light of the NRMA or a tow truck against the myriad of other road users who have yellow flashing lights on the road.

Almost seems the intention is to simply make all roads 40km/h...

• The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

william10 (05-09-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I think they've got 25kph in SA.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post

Almost seems the intention is to simply make all roads 40km/h...
    Already happened here in Mandurah, it might not be a law yet but sure as shite there is ALWAYS some crunt doing 35~40 in a 60 zone

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,921 Times in 1,282 Posts

In ACT they slow down for a look nothing to do with the 40k speed if there lights are on. They even slow down if the light are over the concrete barrier on th parkway(100K zone).
    Fu(ken rubber neckers
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I have had a couple of incidents with the same thing happening, Go round a corner on a 100 Road and there they are. The last one was about 7 weeks ago up on the pacific highway when it had just started to rain. Cop was 1/4 way into the traffic lane. I didn't even try to wash off any speed as braking on a slippery road on a bend would have lead to disaster.
    Mrs got a fright when she saw him and was going off. Was Fking stupidity to even be there but expecting people to drop to 40 was just plain wrong. There wasn't any other car and we didn't see anything so NFI what he was stopped for and so far out in the first place.

Couple of times now I have been on the highway and come round a bend or over a hill and some duffus cop is there with the lights on and everyone is nearly running up one another's arse.
    There must have been a load of rear enders because of this stupid law. Someone slowing down is going to get rammed in the arse and end up in the cop car and then they might wake up.
    When I saw the title of this thread I was thinking they must have seen sense and repealed this stupid law. Guess I give them way too much credit.

Dunno how many traffic jams I have seen on Motorways in and around Sydney because there is a car stopped completely off the road. The thing that pisses me off is the car can be on the OTHER side of the road with as said, a concrete barrier dividing the road and the arsewipes will still slow and rubber neck. You can be back a Couple of KM wondering what's going on and soon as you get past the vehicle that is parked there, all the traffic takes off again. The hold up is longer if there is an NRMA or tow truck with them.

The other one is when you are on a 100 road and some clown is dwadling along at 85 and then a Police car comes the other way and the morons slam on the brakes when they see them to slow down some more. Do you not understand you are already a pain in the arse moving obstacle? Now you are becoming a danger to everyone else on the road. The very fact that you don't know what speed you are doing and are slowing down for fear of being booked when you are travelling so slowly to start with means you don't have the awareness to justify being on the road at all.

Same as idiots that go along under the limit, go down a hill and then hit the brakes and slow down some more when they were at least 15 under the limit.
    And seriously, I'm about 1 more fktard that won't get out of the right lane when there is endless room to move over away from building a 4" canon and Mounting it under the front of the car to teach these idiots a road rule I knew as a kid.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I am try and decide if a cornflakes D/L is better or worse than one from a weetbix packet.
    Because it seems that 1/2 the drivers proberly got there D/L from a cereal packet.

SS Dave

LSemmens
    Thanks

I treat every other driver on the road as an absolute idiot, strangely enough, I have yet to be disappointed.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Jma (06-09-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I treat every other driver on the road as an absolute idiot, strangely enough, I have yet to be disappointed.
    Me too and more so when on the bike.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (11-09-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SS Dave View Post
    Me too and more so when on the bike.
    Especially when on a Bike!!!!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Most traffic idiots I experience are either on a bike(push or motor), in a truck or female. The latter is the worst in school zones, that I experience every weekday. I think some are actually drunk, or just have really bad PMS. Saw one yesterday stop in the middle of a busy hotel parking entrance to text while blocking the pedestrian pathway and cars that needed to turn into that driveway which blocked all the traffic behind them. Any horn honking did not distract from the texting.

As for the others, everything two wheels should have their own roads/paths and heavy interstate freight belongs on the rail, not racing our highways.

BTW my wife fully agrees with me here. She wanted to make videos of texting women(we never see men) in their cars(with number plate) driving on the highway and send them to the cops but I told her I would get fined for her using a video device next to me and possible even sitting behind me and there may be other reasons why this could be illegal but I fully understand her motivation.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 06-09-19 at 10:31 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (07-09-19),hinekadon (07-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I agree, but bike riders take it to a new level.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Reschs For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (07-09-19)

Thanks

I have to say, and I was unfortunate enough to prove the point to the Mrs twice today, Old farts are by far and away the WORST and most dangerous drivers on the road with Women being the worst of them.

They will Hog the right lane, do 20 under on any road and they will pull out in front of you when you are 30 Ft out and often just don't look for any manoeuvrer at all.
    Every effing time I come across some mobile obstacle holding up traffic, weaving all over the road or just pulling out on people causing a near multiple pile up, it is always an old bastard and 80% of the time, a geriatric woman. They are just huge pains in the arse that put other people on the road not only to severe inconvenience, but so many times, real risk and danger.

Saw one today in a car park. It wasn't even funny, it was just Fking dangerous. This old birds was going back and forward trying to get into this perfectly accessible, normal parking spot. Each time she reversed she would never look and nearly cleaned up several cars driving behind her as she just put the thing in reverse and launch backwards. When she nearly cleaned up a woman with a pram on the other side of the row to where she was, Mrs and I went over to ask if she would like us to park the car for her. By this time a number of people were watching her from a safe distance in horror at what they were seeing. Of course she turned down the wife's offerand after another 3 attempts, got the thing in, sorta.

How does it not register that 8 or more times trying to drive into a regular parking spot is way too much. They MUST see other people drive straight in or reverse once to straighten up and then get out. Surely they must see the difference to register something they are doing is real wrong or time to cash in the chips before they kill someone.

Yeah sure, P platers and young people do stupid things but without doubt, they are out done completely as a profiled group by the old farts.
    There is the exception, My father being 80, far more fits the profile of a young hoon than anything else. In his town there is a merging lane coming onto the main road. Some clown will be smart and come up the inside lane of the waiting traffic. My father looks, Comments and then nails his twin turbo merc and Holds it till about 140 on the 80 road then will look in the mirror and tell them not to bother taking on a proper fast car in their old shit boxes next time.

I was under the mistaken Impression the father was supposed to read the son the riot act about racing other cars not the other way round!!
    I did get him one of those Digital speedos and put it right on the top centre of the dash. He says he can see that better than the one in the dash so hopefully it has helped the outright speed even if it hasn't deterred the pre spooled turbos launches.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    I have to say, and I was unfortunate enough to prove the point to the Mrs twice today, Old farts are by far and away the WORST and most dangerous drivers on the road with Women being the worst of them.

They will Hog the right lane, do 20 under on any road and they will pull out in front of you when you are 30 Ft out and often just don't look for any manoeuvrer at all.
    Every effing time I come across some mobile obstacle holding up traffic, weaving all over the road or just pulling out on people causing a near multiple pile up, it is always an old bastard and 80% of the time, a geriatric woman. They are just huge pains in the arse that put other people on the road not only to severe inconvenience, but so many times, real risk and danger.
    We might need a new section on this forum called:

George's War on Everything
    Muslims, Old People, Electric Vehicles, Mongrel Neighbour's, Vehicle Emissions, Slow Drivers, if its pissed him off, it belongs in here

EDIT: I forgot to add, Climate Change, Recycling, Wind Turbines, H6 Subaru engines and Travelling to Asian Countries.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 07-09-19 at 11:17 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (07-09-19),bob_m_54 (07-09-19),enf (07-09-19),hinekadon (07-09-19),peteramjet (07-09-19),SS Dave (07-09-19),Thala Dan (07-09-19),Uncle Fester (07-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post

Muslims, Old People, Electric Vehicles, Mongrel Neighbour's, Vehicle Emissions, Slow Drivers, if its pissed him off, it belongs in here
    We could put it with the " Ol Boy repeats every news Item of the day, every day" thread.
    If it's in the news, Ol boy will repeat it here once again to make sure no one misses a thing. If you don't have time to comb through the news every day, rest assured he spends hours on it and will will repeat it here to make sure no controversy is left unexploited. :0)

Funny how you whinge about people having a whinge on a thread you started for the sole and specific purpose of having a whinge about it yourself in the first place.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Well, here's one bloke who didn't bother slowing down for an emergency vehicle:

Car Safety Group Pushes NHTSA For Tesla Recall After Damning NTSB Report On 2018 Crash

The Center For Auto Safety - a non profit car safety advocacy group - is asking the NHTSA for a recall of Tesla vehicles, according to Law 360.

The outcry comes after a an NTSB report blamed a 2018 Tesla crash, in part, on the company's Autopilot system. The CFAS said that the NTSB report confirmed that Autopilot is "dangerous and leads to crashes". They also argue that the NTSB report highlights a design flaw in the technology which allows drivers to disengage.

The CFAS stated that the system (along with its "Autopilot" label) encourages drivers to rely too much on the technology - an argument that Tesla skeptics, short sellers and, well, anybody with common sense have been making for years.

If it can't "auto" on a 3-4 lane highway, I'd hate to see it on an Oz country road

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

enf (07-09-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

We could put it with the " Ol Boy repeats every news Item of the day, every day" thread.
    If it's in the news, Ol boy will repeat it here once again to make sure no one misses a thing. If you don't have time to comb through the news every day, rest assured he spends hours on it and will will repeat it here to make sure no controversy is left unexploited. :0)

Funny how you whinge about people having a whinge on a thread you started for the sole and specific purpose of having a whinge about it yourself in the first place.
    I rest my case

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (07-09-19),enf (07-09-19),lsemmens (07-09-19),peteramjet (07-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Strange.......I always thought that was exactly the sort of thing that forums like Austech were for......an informal discussion and exchange of ideas and opinions on current news and affairs.

• The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (07-09-19),enf (07-09-19),lsemmens (07-09-19),ol' boy (07-09-19),peteramjet (07-09-19),Tiny (07-09-19),Uncle Fester (07-09-19)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post

What about me!! I'm sick of Woman that work in Men dominated places like Supercheap and when you go there (yesterday) to get a tail light globe that is to be used for a 2002 Holden she give me a 24Volt globe and argues with me that this globe is for this model of Holdens.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (07-09-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    What about me!! I'm sick of Woman that work in Men dominated places like Supercheap and when you go there (yesterday) to get a tail light globe that is to be used for a 2002 Holden she give me a 24Volt globe and argues with me that this globe is for this model of Holdens.
    Nar, you're too cute

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (07-09-19)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast