Thread: Ditch the Tojo and buy a Merc

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Default Ditch the Tojo and buy a Merc

'Key demand': EU wants Australia to dump taxes on European cars

Buying a Mercedes-Benz or a BMW would be cheaper for Australians if European negotiators get their way under a new trade agreement.

A key demand from the EU in the negotiation of a new free trade agreement will be that Australia ditches both its 5 per cent duty on imported European cars and the luxury car tax that applies to higher-priced vehicles.

The EU and Australia are negotiating a free trade deal with a number of products up for debate including beef and other foods, electronic equipment, clothing and footwear.

Senior EU trade negotiator Cornelis Keijzer told The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald on Wednesday that Australia had agreed to discuss the removal of the automotive taxes which he argued would give local consumers cheaper cars and more choice.

Given our governments' enthusiastic embrace of (so called) Free Trade Agreements, and the fact that we don't have a local automotive industry to protect anymore, this should be an easy giveaway.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

DB44 (05-09-19)

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

While the tarrif on EU cars might not be much to give away, as I'm sure they will do without getting much benefit for Australia in return, I don't think the luxury car tax will be so easy to pry out of the gubbermint.
    Having no industry ourselves any more, there are a LOT of cars that fall under this levy including a lot of the EV's which we are so brainwashed are the be all and end all. It's not hard to get a load of vehicles over $75K now so I Imagine the revenue loss would be huge. I can't see they will be able to do it for the EU and not everyone else as well as that would probably bring in screams from other trading partners and I wouldn't blame them.

As we no longer have an automotive industry, we should look at lifting the ban on used Imports. There are some very nice Japanese Vehicles running round in NZ that come in as used imports and they are all low mileage and in great condition thanks to the Japanese regs that make them too exy to keep over 40K Km.

I notice in this agreement the EU want to have the rights over certain geographical names of products.
    What the hell are we going to call a bottle Beaujolais red wine if we can't call it Beaujolais or Claret or any other name wine is known by? All these names come from the area they were originally grown in, mainly France. These days most of these wines and other foods are indistinguishable from one growing region to another because the grapes and the blends all have their own unique character anyway. One thing to Identify a Riesling from a Saturnes but virtually impossible to distinguish the area where it was grown? What are you going to call Scotch whisky with it's clear origins in Scotland?

Is this going to mean our wine, cheese ( which again is mainly EU based original region) and other industries then have to pay a tarrif to the EU to produce local product? How else could you identify one style from another? I don't know of any other alternative names for any type. Same goes for cheeses and other things.

Given the weak and pathetic nature of our gubbemint and it's pre occupation with looking good to the world while screw over it's own citizens, you can bet well be just giving away a lot more of the farm and not even getting manure in return.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (16-09-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

It always made me laugh what a Range Rover is worth new in the UK verses here in AU...
    Its like somewhere in the translation it tripled in price
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

DB44 (05-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Can we get the EU to demand the removal of petrol taxes as well? They would sell a lot more vehicles.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

I always thought some of these taxes were there to protect the local car manufacturers.

Now that its gone, note they still have not removed the taxes to protect the market.

I like that crazy man Trumps idea when the US manufactures were planning to leave the country, go and be prepared to be taxed out of the market.

Next thing you know, not only were they staying but they were ready to reinvest in Detroit to kick start it back into be the home of manufacturing.

While really being the type to put his mouth into gear before his brain, he has had the balls to come up with some good ideas too.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

DB44 (06-09-19),hinekadon (07-09-19),lsemmens (07-09-19),ol' boy (06-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    I always thought some of these taxes were there to protect the local car manufacturers.

Now that its gone, note they still have not removed the taxes to protect the market.

I like that crazy man Trumps idea when the US manufactures were planning to leave the country, go and be prepared to be taxed out of the market.

Next thing you know, not only were they staying but they were ready to reinvest in Detroit to kick start it back into be the home of manufacturing.

While really being the type to put his mouth into gear before his brain, he has had the balls to come up with some good ideas too.
    The US have a large enough local market to cater for so they can do it.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

USA produced cars in the USA even before Trump's tariff trade wars but a lot of companies will break if they can't source cheaper components overseas.

I think Europe, particularly Germany is now desperate to counteract the effects of Trump's pathetic trade wars by trying to remove tariffs where they can.
    However a tax on luxury cars is a tax I agree with and should not be removed otherwise our Gov will have to look for alternative income if this is lost and this will eventually lead to sneaking in higher rego and fuel excise.

...and Mercs don't even look like Mercs anymore, all looks like Hyundai or something to me lately.
    Most cars are now faceless. Take away the emblem and I wouldn't have a clue what car I am looking at, except the Mini, which looks bigger than some of these shirt pocket Mercs.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...