Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 Stops Responding

Thanks

Default Windows 10 Stops Responding

Hi All,

I've had a browse through the forum and spent many hours googling to try and find a cause/resolution to my issue.

I have built a PC (I have built hundreds over the years), it is nothing fancy, but it is used for business. I have six PC's that I have built and three laptops that are all used for the business. All work perfectly, except for this PC.

I has a Gigabyte ITX main board, Intel Core I5 8400, 16GB 2666Mhz Kingston HyperX Fury Ram (2x8GB), 500gb Crucial NVMe. Using onboard graphics and two AOC 24" monitors. Running windows 10 (1903), Office 2019, Visio 2016 and google chrome. Nothing else installed on it (Only basics like Acrobat reader etc.)

The issue is that some time throughout the day/night the system will become unresponsive and the CPU fan fires up. It never has an issue when the system is used by someone. All PC's are left on 24/7. When coming back in the morning, the CPU fan is running at a high speed and the system will not respond to anything. The screens are off after 20 minutes idle time, and moving the mouse and hitting any buttons on the keyboard do nothing. I have to power down the system and reboot.

It happens randomly. It may go for a week without a an issue, then other times it may happen once a day. I thought is might be Windows update as it was also happening regularly on a Wednesday night/Thursday morning, but disabled this, but it still keeps happening.

I have tried to review the event logs, but not understanding all of it, and not seeing anything obvious as to a cause each time.

I have replaced the ram and NVMe drive with different brands, and it still keeps happening. I have done clean install of windows about three times now.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on how to try and resolve this issue?

Thanks

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Have you installed the latest MB drivers?

Thanks

Windows update has updated all drivers.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Sounds like some sort of hardware incompatability issue or driver/bios settings.

Try resetting bios to defaults and see if there is a bios update available.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Might be an issue with cooling, Have you ensured all heatsinks are clean making contact, - You say the system was home built, I'd be checking the condition of the CPU thermal compound, it may have dried out. FOr some reason, it happens more with home assembled systems than factory, don't ask me why, don't know.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Windows update has updated all drivers.
    Double-check with the MB manufacturers website as I wouldn't rely on windows to do it correctly.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

tristen (13-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

my moneys on the board sadly
    changed ram, drive, several installs of the wonderful win 10, not much left to blame is there
    unless its a power option thing, my mech runs his 2 24/7, as i fix them remotely, sometimes they lock up, i turned off sleep & hibernation mode & just let them run, run cpu fan in slow mode if theres no heat problem.
    worth a try
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

shred (13-09-19)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

My moneys on the heatsink paste remove the existing with meths and put some new on to it , seen it before ????

Thanks

All thermal compound needed is a slight smear not a thick layer which dries out and becomes insulator.

Thanks

thanks for all the responses.

The current firmware on the MB is the latest. All but one of the drivers are current according to Gigabyte website.

I am now just over half way through running Prime95 for 24 hours to stress test ram and CPU. No issues so far, so not likely heat issue. CPU temp reached a max of 75 degrees, but average of 64, so with Intel stock standard Heat Sink and Fan, that is fine.

I really feel it might be a software issue. Does anyone have any good references to use event viewer or any other logs to try and identify? Googling has just sent me around in circles with huge amounts of conflicting information.

Thanks again!

Banned

Thanks

I reckon you are putting too much faith in the self diagnostics if its faulty which you say it is then you are stupid not to ignore these results as there is no way in hell to know if they are correct or apart of the fault . Therefore i ask you is it fvked or not if it is then just change the heatsink paste and be done with it

Premium Member
    Thanks

check the voltages in the bios for the 12v line ect is the clock keeping the correct time the 75 deg is i gather a Fahrenheit reading

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dai View Post
    check the voltages in the bios for the 12v line ect is the clock keeping the correct time the 75 deg is i gather a Fahrenheit reading
    oh no, its a C reading, some intels run hot, but if his ran prime for hours & it dont crash, i doubt its heat.

maybe run the infamous linux on it for a week or 2, if it crashes you need a new board.

whats it a 1151 ? or 1150

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    thanks for all the responses.

The current firmware on the MB is the latest. All but one of the drivers are current according to Gigabyte website.

I am now just over half way through running Prime95 for 24 hours to stress test ram and CPU. No issues so far, so not likely heat issue. CPU temp reached a max of 75 degrees, but average of 64, so with Intel stock standard Heat Sink and Fan, that is fine.

I really feel it might be a software issue. Does anyone have any good references to use event viewer or any other logs to try and identify? Googling has just sent me around in circles with huge amounts of conflicting information.

Thanks again!
    screen dump may tell if its driver related too, id even consider whacking it in safe mode with networking, see how it goes.

Last edited by Philquad; 13-09-19 at 05:33 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

SS Dave (13-09-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

You could try a Live version of Linux (run from a USB stick) and test it from there. That would also prove the Operating System.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (13-09-19)

Banned

Thanks

Default thats a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    You could try a Live version of Linux (run from a USB stick) and test it from there. That would also prove the Operating System.
    would suggest you get lunbuntu 18.04 as its a easy install and will run alongside your winwoes

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Double-check with the MB manufacturers website as I wouldn't rely on windows to do it correctly.
    Agreed.

I have experienced many instances of incorrect drivers being installed by a Windows update.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,917 Times in 1,280 Posts

I have a Acer laptop that is doing the sames as the OP's computer.

It can run for days even some times weeks then all of a sudden it will lockup the fan will come full speed after a while with the only way to fixit is a power cycle then some times on reboot I the BSOD but I have not botherd fixing as it is only for Facebooking and trolling the net any way and it's more than likely a bad driver causing the problem.

I seems the Thermal paste allways get the blame I know it not that as it can run for days and if it was the thermal paste it would be a constant issue like every hour or every 10 minutes or during making the computer work harder.

I will have a look at the link Philquad put up as there is probely fix there.But I suppose the other option is to Blow the lot away and a fresh install and not cloning the drive like I did last time.

Cheers
    SS dave
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SS Dave View Post
    I have a Acer laptop that is doing the sames as the OP's computer.

a bad driver causing the problem.

Cheers
    SS dave
    im having trouble creating the memory.dmp file but i read if you set it to minidump as below, then create a folder in c\windows\Minidump it should work, then read it with bsod reader above.

Thanks

So I went out and brought an almost identical setup, same mainboard, 9400 CPU as opposed to the 8400 in the first system, same RAM, and new VNMe and new chassis and power supply. Downloaded and setup a new USB install drive using windows media creation tool, and still having the exact same problems. So two PC's have the same issue. Updated all drivers from the gigabyte website.

Anyone have any ideas now?

The PC's are literally only running Windows 10, Office 2019, Visio 2016, Google Chrome, Google Drive and Splashtop Remote. No third party antivirus/malware.

Thanks

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast