Thread: Mobile Camera Car - Are they being "Worksafe"?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Mobile Camera Car - Are they being "Worksafe"?

It just dawned on me, that every single contractor, council vehicle, police vehicle, even the garbage trucks are meant to display flashing lights while working on the road side.
    If a contractor was working road side, he would need permits and signage, and a flashing light, witches hats, etc

How come unmarked speed camera vehicles can work road side, with an occupant and not be required to adhere to general "Worksafe" rules?

If one gets hit and the occupant dies, were they conforming to the rules to keep that employee safe?

It is probably no different to a taxi waiting road side.....
    But with ever increasing amount of council, vicroads, etc vehicles with lights on them these while they are stopped on the side of the road, there is obviously a safety protocol there.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 15-09-19 at 08:52 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Default Mobile Camera Car - Are they being "Worksafe"?

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    It just dawned on me, that every single contractor, council vehicle, police vehicle, even the garbage trucks are meant to display flashing lights while working on the road side.
    I think you will find there is no such requirement for a stationary vehicle to display a flashing light while working on the road. There may be a requirement to ensure a worker is visible and safe, but a camera car operator sits inside the car. In NSW, when the operator sets up the signs, the car has flashing lights going, likely complying with the WHS requirements.

Camera cars are parked off the roadway - either in legal spaces or by exemption. They do not block nor impede traffic. Cars parked on the side of the road are not required to having flashing lights.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

enf (15-09-19),ol' boy (15-09-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    Camera cars are parked off the roadway - either in legal spaces or by exemption. They do not block nor impede traffic. Cars parked on the side of the road are not required to having flashing lights.
    Yes, i was also thinking of that point
    Obviously the case, just like any worker parked in a car park.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,917 Times in 1,280 Posts

The one's in ACT have orange front and rear flashing lights as well as the hazzard lights but there only on while setting up the van. They have a roof sign that needs the correct speed limit atached ,warnings signs about not approaching the vehicle signs and some times a fold out one as well warning the your speed has been checked, It also takes to set up the camera in side. While it's checking speeds it looks like a van on the side of the road untill your on top of it. They also have ballistic rear glass, Panic buttons and GPS tracked.

Cheers
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    Yes, i was also thinking of that point
    Obviously the case, just like any worker parked in a car park.
    I personally think there are way too many yellow flashing lights around now, to the point where their warning ability is dramatically reduced. I frequently follow traffic control utes/vans/trucks (the ones that set up roadwork zones or manage motorway breakdowns) ploughing down the motorway at 100 with all their flashing lights going, not because they are ‘warning’ drivers, but just because they are ‘on the job’. Same with cars parked off the roadway where there is no obstruction or hazard to traffic.

In NSW (and likely elsewhere too), yellow lights are to be used to warn roads users of an obstruction to the free flow of traffic, and should only be used when a hazard exists. They clearly shouldn’t be used by the traffic blokes in the situation described above, and probably shouldn’t be used by a whole plethora of people who do use them.

• The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

shred (15-09-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

That was my point... In the day and age where work place safety and employee protocols have reached almost unproductive levels....

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

there is a interesting pastime when you are retired look in local paper and see tenders notices for road works ,then go have a look at the site one hole in the road from the last lot of rain ??? ok the keep an eye out to see when there is action on it by notices of road closure of one lane in two months time . ok work safe ? a contractor is employed to set out the cones ,flashing lights ,road diversion signs ,arrows and stop/go man , the day before the job , then the safety inspector arrives to check that the site is safe to work on , he gives it a invisible tick , and its on , the truck arrives with the hotmix on it , a bloke drives up to the pothole and gets out of his ute with a shovel , he then proceeds to talk to the hot mix truck drivers assistant to make sure the hot,mix isnt yesterdays batch and they are trying to pull a fast one on him , no every thing is in order so he gets his labourer to take the shovel to the hot mix trunk to get a shovel full of hot mix which he returns to the pothole then he goes under the direction of the ute driver to get a can of sticky stuff to prime the pot hole the driver checks the mix and they fill in the hole , after some discussion they smack it down with the shovel to make it level , yep shes ok so the ute driver gives the hot mix driver the thumbs up and they move the cones to exit the work site with their flashing lights on , the ute driver rechecks the site and gets his labourer to pick up the shovel hes leaning on and put it on the back of the ute all stowed safely so they sit there to check that someone doesnt pinch the hot mix before its gone off and have a smoko so as not to waste time , when smoko is over and its getting time to knock off they move the cones out of the road and check their flashing light is on and take off to the depot looking back to make sure the cones annoy the shit out of the approaching traffic happily the give the thumbs up to the stop/go man and he gets in his ute and goes back to the depot , but thats not the end of the saga two weeks has to pass before they remove the cones and then the signs then the road is opened up again as soon as the cops have had the towtrucks remove the damaged cars that didnt see the signs and tail ended the driver in front that found roadworks were the most interesting thing he had ever seen and didnt want to miss out so drove really slow for the safety of the road workers and got tailended as a result
    Wow Ive had a busy day , Now wheres the paper to find the next job , might take my deck chair to the next one and a thermos too .

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

william10 (15-09-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Pity you couldn't have used some punctuation, Hinekadon. That paragraph is almost as bad as the lights on the road. My biggest concern is the number of illuminated advertising billboards amongst all the other lights, especially in a city, that critical things, like traffic lights, get missed. I nearly ran a red light in the city only last week because of all the other crap around it.

BOT If camera cars were anything other than revenue raisers then there would be more publicity that you just got pinged for over speed. The best thing I have seen to curb speeding has been those portable traffic control signs that flash your approach speed at you.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...