Thread: Google, Facebook, whoever is listening.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Default Google, Facebook, whoever is listening.

I have not googled, read on the net or anything other than say a mates canopy on his hilux makes it look like a SsangYong people mover (the horrible rear quarter windows). Now popping up on Facebook, an ad for their ute. Now I have also noticed ads popping up after I have gone into shops. Tell me I'm not imagining this?

Leroy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (16-09-19)

Look Here ->
    Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Google has their grubby fingers into most everything on the net, so does farcebook.
    Advertising is a scurge on humanity IMO, it's intrusive, irritating and for the most part just straight out pathetic.
    Online it now clutters up the web & makes the majority of web pages bloated & slow loading with sh*t most people don't even want to see.
    Block 'em all I reckon.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (15-09-19),Klem (16-09-19),LeroyPatrol (15-09-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

It is simple if you want to stop being tracked and fingerprinted:
    Use the Epic browser on PCs, use no plugins and only use Duckduckgo as the search engine (better results than Google and often answers your questions without clicking on pages).

Use your phone as PHONE!
    Switch on data and wifi ONLY when you are actively using it and do all you mobile online activity via the Duckduckgo app. Unfortunately no REAL Epic browser for Android available.

Your Facebook tracking history is there forever though. Better sign up with a new account and stop clicking on all the 'shared' shit and stop using it as a general information source. Use Facebook only for the groups while for communication with your close friends Viber would be far better but every sheep has to use Facebook.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 15-09-19 at 10:38 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

eaglem (16-09-19),hinekadon (16-09-19),Keith (16-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 576 Posts

I try to avoid goggle where ever possible these days, aside from the advertising, their results are censored, or maybe "slanted" would be a better word.

Their search results are heavily biased toward their own "affiliates" and whoever has paid them the most money. If you want an example, try running parallel searches with goggle and another search engine like bing (and I'm not saying Microsoft is any better, just using them for comparison).

I am even hesitant to click on a youtube or ebay link that someone sends me these days because I know my gmail inbox will cop "have you seen these..." messages for the next couple of days.

Andrew

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    I have not googled, read on the net or anything other than say a mates canopy on his hilux makes it look like a SsangYong people mover (the horrible rear quarter windows). Now popping up on Facebook, an ad for their ute. Now I have also noticed ads popping up after I have gone into shops. Tell me I'm not imagining this?

Leroy
    no you are not imagining it you must have an android phone it listens to what you are talking about and targets adds to you look on youtube for some scary shit about it.
    you can add a HOST file to your phone to block that sort of stuff plus admobile.
    block lists of IP's and websites are available.

Thanks

thanks guys. I figure it's prob too late to stop anything as it will have my face and so can recognise me in others posted pics so could still track me. What kind of world are we living in and what's it going to be like for our kids??

Thanks

not sure if BS or not

love this one it has some scary shit in it.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eeprommemory For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (17-09-19),LeroyPatrol (17-09-19)

Thanks

this is not good.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eeprommemory For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (17-09-19),LeroyPatrol (17-09-19)

Thanks

I don't need a microphone on my computer, so they can only get what I search or visit.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    only use Duckduckgo as the search engine (better results than Google and often answers your questions without clicking on pages).
    You have seriously got to be joking. I use Duckduckgo and have for a year and there is not a hope in hell its results are anywhere in the league of Google. I wish it was. 7-8 times out of 10 I have to revert to Google , if its anything Australian you might as well ditch the duck completely as Google's local knowledge information is in another league.

Leroy, facebook, while great to keep in touch with friends and family is akin to a virus. I wont sign up to it, but unfortunately these days you need it for some things so I use my wife's account if I have to. I use incognito mode on Chrome and a VPN and don't have any problems. Of course being fully aware of ALL your browser, Google and facebook settings is very important, its astounding how many settings there are these days.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (17-09-19)

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

I also use DDG without issue, have been for ages, I did find it pays to go through all it's settings & set them as preferred, then save them.
    One can save a passphrase to use upon cookie deletion or different browser etc., or a link can be saved & used in any device so it always uses the same settings.
    Using quotes around individual words or groups of words helps somewhat, and unlike some other engines, if there's no results containing the quoted terms you search for, you get a 'no results' message, not 349 million unrelated results that took 0.001 seconds and are full of sh*t that has nothing to do with the search term/s used.
    If DDG fails I try Startpage or Qwant.

That's what happens to anything google or facebook on any site I visit...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (18-09-19),LeroyPatrol (17-09-19),Uncle Fester (17-09-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Leroy
    Funny Eddie Maquire on Triple M was talking about the exact same thing this morning
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (17-09-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    You have seriously got to be joking. I use Duckduckgo and have for a year and there is not a hope in hell its results are anywhere in the league of Google.
    I don't have the time to waste with Google's millions of meaningless results.
    DDG has some kind of AI that combines the words of my search to get the exact logical answer, also corrects and suggests very well if I can't find the right words.

I also hate it when sites use an internal Google search, some government sites use it too.
    You get thousands of results that contain every word in my search string but totally dumb, doesn't understand the meaning.
    GOSH, I have a life !
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 17-09-19 at 10:43 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,058 Posts

Maybe people are starting to get wise.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I have noticed a lot recently and not because i have this thread in my mind....

This morning i was on the phone (Android, Google Account, etc) and was talking to a friend
    She was giving me a heap of street addresses for me to look up on my laptop (also signed in under the same account as phone and same internet connection)

As i was typing in the address in, it would auto fill in the suggestions below, places i have never searched for before.

I'd type in "18 B..." and the entire street address, suburb and post code would be there, the one the person had told me over the phone moments before
    Same with another address she sent me via Instagram message.....

Just too many things to be a coincidence these days!
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 576 Posts

I was looking at some website the other day that wanted me to create an account before it would let me do anything, and I'm almost positive that I've never been on that website before but when I opened the "Join" page it had auto-completed my name (without me typing anything), which really freaked me out, so much that I closed the browser and haven't been back.

I'd really like to know how they got my details, the site had nothing to do with goggle (as far as I know) and the details were different to my gmail account anyway, so I can only assume firefox is somehow completing fields on my behalf?

So I have to wonder where else it's been handing out my personal info?
    Last edited by Bigfella237; 21-09-19 at 02:35 PM.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Have a play around on there if you want to know what your browser is leaking.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

Bigfella237 (21-09-19)

Thanks

auto fill?

yes OB, I thought the same...too many coincidences.

Premium Member
    Thanks

auto fill?

yes OB, I thought the same...too many coincidences.
    Yeah, well what ever it is called when you type in a browser address bar and suggestions start appearing under where you are typing...
    I literally typed in a street number and the first letter of the street name, and boom, the entire address appeared!

Something i have never searched for before in my life.
    But it was sent to me via Whats App or Insta (more Google products) 30 minutes prior, then followed up with a phone call and the address being verbally given.

That could have been any street in the world that starts with the number "18" and the letter "B"
    But it displayed the exact one i was being told over the mobile phone, whilst i was typing it.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 21-09-19 at 04:48 PM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    I was looking at some website the other day that wanted me to create an account before it would let me do anything, and I'm almost positive that I've never been on that website before but when I opened the "Join" page it had auto-completed my name (without me typing anything), which really freaked me out, so much that I closed the browser and haven't been back.

I'd really like to know how they got my details, the site had nothing to do with goggle (as far as I know) and the details were different to my gmail account anyway, so I can only assume firefox is somehow completing fields on my behalf?

So I have to wonder where else it's been handing out my personal info?
    Mate if you didn't realize already, the browser you are using has autofil settings you can enable and disable.
    It also has prediction services you can disable if you want more privacy.

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Bigfella237 (21-09-19)