Thread: Mobile plan in lieu of NBN ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Default Mobile plan in lieu of NBN ?

Hi All

ive been told that the ADSL in our area is closing in 6 months and we need to migrate over to NBN. I am not a big user of data , say approx 40G on my laptop and maybe 4G on my mobile. Currently paying $44 PM for a landline which is never used , $55 PM for my mobile plan and $44 PM for DODO ADSL. I definitely want to keep the Telstra network as it works best around here , even for the short trips taken out in the boat or to Gt Keppel Island.

i was thinking of just getting an unlimited mobile plan for about $70 PM and if i want to use the laptop just run a hotspot from the mobile. would that work or am i missing something? I could just open a Gmail account to replace the existing dodo email account. I also have our house security system working off an ADSL port but an willing to give that up if it means saving $55 or so per month.

any other ideas you guys can offer?

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

What type of NBN ?

I am with Aussie Broadband who have a very solid reputation and you can get 100 gb of data on an NBN 25/5 plan for $55 a month. No contract, no home phone.

Have you looked at some of the Telstra Wholesale resellers for mobile ?
    belong.com.au
    boost.com.au

There are lots more.

You would have to come out in front if you are wiping off $44 for the landline, or at worse, come out the same depending on how much data you need on your phone ? I have both my wife and mother in law on Belong (owned by Telstra) with no problems.
    My mother in law, who is widowed and lives in remote country Victoria ditched her landline after I said I would pay for her mobile use and hasnt looked back. It costs me a whopping $10 a month for her unlimited calls and 1 gig of data, which she uses to view Facebook on the second hand smart phone I gave her.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Softek2 (18-09-19),VroomVroom (17-09-19)

Thanks

I really dont need NBN at home Im hoping that my mobile and the hotspot will cover everything. I just found Telstra has an unlimited mobile plan for $60pm with speed limitations , which should work.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

What's the Telstra plan for unlimited for $60 ? I can see 60 gb for $60 ? Though I cant see how its unlimited if it has speed limitations I have 30gb of data on my $69 a month plan which included an Samsung S9 and unlimited "limited" speed after that. The limited speed is 1.5 mb, which isnt very fast. Its also worth noting their wording , After your included monthly allowance, your speeds will be capped at 1.5Mbps (which is not suitable for HD video or high speed applications) and may be slowed further during busy periods. Basically its like having your home internet shaped because you went over the limit. Having said that, 1.5 mbps might be enough for some people if its only really basic stuff you need to do. Its a pity I cant send you the 29 gig I dont use every month

I presume that the home security system that has ADSL is back to base monitoring and not remote viewing ?

It really comes down to if you want a home connection or not really.

$44 Landline
    $55 Mobile
    $44 ADSL

Total $143.

If you dont value your landline, its down to $99. You cant have ADSL without the landline being active and of course as you mentioned its being decommissioned, so its either mobile only or mobile and small nbn.

Telstra's Internet/NBN Plans are absolute shit. Its a great network, but they seem to think everyone in the country should have Unlimited 50/20 on a 2 year contract @$90 a month. Aussie Broadband is one of the few quality providers that offers no contract.

Boost may be worth considering for mobile as apart from the fact they use the full Telstra network, they allow data rollover which Telstra doesnt. Basically, recharge before the end of the billing period (28 days...you can setup auto bill) and any unused data rolls over in to the next month.

Belong also do it and allow data transfer between customers. As my mother in law manages to use bugger all (and she is one a 1 gb plan !), anything unused rolls over. When she has banked up a bit, I transfer it to my wifes phone. Without telling my mother in law

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (17-09-19)

Thanks

yeah sorry it is $60PM with Telstra. I was hoping that would be enough to cover both the phone and laptop , which looks like it will. Im not worried about any shaping because i hardly ever steam anything anyway.

i'm not good with this stuff i cant even work out to add an extra account to Windows Mail 2012 !! Once i have that i'll move everything over and get rid of Dodo ADSL

Thanks

OK just to update - i bought the Telstra 60G plan at the local Telstra shop , which was dead easy. Cancelled the home phone , which is still connected with soft dial tone .The girl said it might stay as soft dial tone for a very very long time , unless they need the phone number or the copper pair , which is very unlikely. Got a new email address , transferred all my logins to the new one and cancelled the dodo account. The laptop , printer and TV work happily off the mobile hotspot and if i decide to reconnect the security cameras to the web i can use a Cat5-Wifi adaptor. So far its all a win i should have done it ages ago. Only slight drawback is the battery on the mobile doesnt last as long , but thats not a biggie

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    Hi All

ive been told that the ADSL in our area is closing in 6 months and we need to migrate over to NBN. I am not a big user of data , say approx 40G on my laptop and maybe 4G on my mobile. Currently paying $44 PM for a landline which is never used , $55 PM for my mobile plan and $44 PM for DODO ADSL. I definitely want to keep the Telstra network as it works best around here , even for the short trips taken out in the boat or to Gt Keppel Island.

i was thinking of just getting an unlimited mobile plan for about $70 PM and if i want to use the laptop just run a hotspot from the mobile. would that work or am i missing something? I could just open a Gmail account to replace the existing dodo email account. I also have our house security system working off an ADSL port but an willing to give that up if it means saving $55 or so per month.

any other ideas you guys can offer?
    Been doing it for over 10 years now!
    Ok, it doesn't have the snappiness of ADSL or Fibre when going from page to page
    But it has so many other advantages....

Works when the power is off
    Is not location locked (Works anywhere in AU and offshore too)
    Works when driving
    Works when camping

As a home solution, it works fine.
    I share my 3G connection to 10 wired devices and 2 WiFi devices, no issues at all.
    (Just grab the appropriate router and do some reading.... Mine is all done from my phone as a wired connection, but there are other ways to do it)
    Have had Unlimited Internet for as long as i can remember.
    No Landline, No ADSL bill, No Lock ins

There are plans out now for 200Gb per month for $60 ($720 for 365 days)
    Or 80Gb for 365 days, $150 all up (unlimited calls and texts).
    Last edited by ol' boy; 25-09-19 at 02:04 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (26-09-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    The laptop , printer and TV work happily off the mobile hotspot and if i decide to reconnect the security cameras to the web i can use a Cat5-Wifi adaptor. So far its all a win i should have done it ages ago. Only slight drawback is the battery on the mobile doesnt last as long , but thats not a biggie
    Grab a Router with a USB port
    Tether mobile via USB to Router (Phone then stays charging)
    The only consideration is your Phones charging requirements and the Routers USB current output limit.
    OR
    If you buy the correct Router, you can HotSpot your phone to WiFi Router, then let WiFi Router do everything else
    (handles your wired and wifi connections that way, also works better and allows you to set up external access)
    Leaves your phone able to take calls or sit on the charger or walk around the house with you.

The plans are getting so cheap now, you can have 2 plans
    One a permanent home solution, then run a second sim in your phone

As you say, you don't use much on your mobile, so a Boost or ALDI 365 plan will only cost $150 a year, with 6Gb + each month (Data rolls over) unlimited calls and texts
    Then run a Data Only plan for the house.... 200Gb per month for $60 or find a lesser one that suits
    Last edited by ol' boy; 25-09-19 at 02:07 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (26-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

i use my work mobile for all my data, tethered to my laptop. We cancelled the office ADSL as a result. No issues at all.

.......Leroy

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (26-09-19)

Thanks

Much easier only paying for the one service!
    But don't forget the coverage between Telstra/Belong/Boost/Aldi all differ, even though they are all supplied by Telstra (something to keep in mind)

• The Following User Says Thank You to astro_boy For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (27-09-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by astro_boy View Post
    Much easier only paying for the one service!
    But don't forget the coverage between Telstra/Belong/Boost/Aldi all differ, even though they are all supplied by Telstra (something to keep in mind)
    Does Boost differ from Telstra?

Thanks

Got 70Gb month on Telstra for $74.00. 40Gb on my Telstra Nighthawk modem and 30Gb on my phone. Stream the radio usually four to five hours a day on the phone, flat out getting to 15Gb month, and seldom get much passed 20Gb month on my modem. When away watch some TV on my tablet and still don't get anywhere near using all my data.
    If you are in rural Australia or travelling you just have to be on Telstra or Boost. Do have my wife's phone on Optus for the rare occassion there is Optus and no Telstra or weak Telstra compared to Optus. My wife doesn't use data and have her on a $120.00 for twelve months, unlimited calls and SMS and 60Gb data.
    Boost is the same as Telstra - use Telstra Wholesale network
    Aldi, Belong, Woolworths etc. - use Telstra Retail Network, which lose a *lot* of rural areas for coverage.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lineland For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (21-10-19),william10 (19-10-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lineland View Post
    Boost is the same as Telstra - use Telstra Wholesale network
    Aldi, Belong, Woolworths etc. - use Telstra Retail Network, which lose a *lot* of rural areas for coverage.
    Right info, just the other way around.
    - Telstra and Boost: retail network.
    - All others (Aldi, Belong, Woolworths, etc): wholesale network, which is essentially equivalent coverage to Optus.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

DB44 (19-10-19),VroomVroom (21-10-19)

Thanks

Something for Seniors to consider when NBN comes to kill your normal land line.
    If you are not interested in internet Data and not Mobile Phone savvy.
    Some elderly people who don't use mobile phones.

Buy a GSM desktop phone an a mobile SIM card to replace the land line.
    SIM cards from DODO $5 per month and all national calls included. ($60 a year)
    or any of the others like Aldi etc. depending what suits each individual.
    At least the phone will work with its battery when there is power outage.
    GSM home phones available on ebay and other sites.
    here are some examples links.

Last edited by shlocker; 28-10-19 at 01:52 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Optus $65/month for 200gb data.

24 month contract or month by month.
    If you go month by month you have to pay for their Huawei modem. $192.

Sim not lucked to their modem.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    Optus $65/month for 200gb data.

24 month contract or month by month.
    If you go month by month you have to pay for their Huawei modem. $192.

Sim not lucked to their modem.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    I know dozens of people that have gone the Optus $65 a month option.
    It then allows you to go UP a plan if you burn that data.... You can also get 500Gb per month for $85
    Other wise you get hit $10 recharge for extra data if you go over the 200Gb per 1 month block.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 28-10-19 at 02:42 PM.