Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mazda2 Honda Jazz Or Yaris

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anythn_electron View Post
    in any sized car you are not completely safe if your in the event of a prang
    As a general statement?...sure...

but at the same speed you will walk away in some vehicles, but you will die in these ones.

But these vehicles are particularly not safe, relative to other vehicles.

it relies heavily on where on the car you are hit from or where may hit something.
    In these vehicles any impact is severe...from any direction.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z80 View Post
    The slightest collission and you are dead in any of those cars.

They are death traps.
    what car is safe? All u need just to drive and pray 2 b safe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MAKEDONIJA View Post
    what car is safe? All u need just to drive and pray 2 b safe.

all mercedes,all volvo,all saab,some holdens, some fords, some volkswagons

But ownership of any of the above reflects the real cost of motoring safely.

We all eventually have an accident.

For some, the first one is the last one.

Usually if you live in one of those toy cars, it's the wheelchair for life when you crash. The airbags will save your good looks, but your legs and spine are gone.

Ask a paraplegic how the shit comes out of their arse every day.

(apologies to all disabled folk)

Then ask yourself if you would be happy with that injury for life.

So if you want to live...pay now or pay later...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

what is a safe car ?

all mercedes,all volvo,all saab,some holdens, some fords, some volkswagons.

as for the safety off these cars, there has been a shit load of ppl killed in them.

in 1 of those motoring mags recently, they claimed the safest car was 1 of the older toyota carollas, open road i think it was.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    what is a safe car ?
    all mercedes,all volvo,all saab,some holdens, some fords, some volkswagons.
    as for the safety off these cars, there has been a shit load of ppl killed in them..
    "safer" cars Mango.

F=MA says that you will die in any car if you go fast enough.

Let's make it a bit more interesting....shall we?

I will say that at 80 km/h into a brick wall you will definitely die in a Yaris.
    And you will probably simply walk away in a Mercedes or Volvo with minor injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    in 1 of those motoring mags recently, they claimed the safest car was 1 of the older toyota carollas, open road i think it was.
    You will need to qualify that one mango.

Unless you mean in one of the mags that was a "few years old" that you read recently?

But...we can't buy old cars anymore, so that's not an option.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

it was in the racq magazine (open road) same as the racv mag in vic.

the cars they were talking about were like about 4 yrs old, and im sure there are plenty around, also they were the cheapest car to fix.

as for qualifying it, i read the mags and bin them, i dont keep that shit laying around.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

All cars are a compromise, some more than others.

Sure the safer cars mentioned have the best engineering applied.

Mercedes for example have designed the engine mounts and rear transmission cross member to shear off in a bad head on, allowing the engine to drop and slide under the car when it hits the fire wall leaving more area infront as a crumple zone rather than to drive the engine into the passanger compartment and shorten the frontal crumple zone.

All manufacturers try to make the passenger compartment a safe indesructable cell and the rest of the car a crumple zone that progressively folds like a tin can, absorbing the impact.

Now think about small cars with short bonnet and boot areas and think about how much area you have to play with before you get to the passanger compartment.

Not too much...... Oh and not too much of a safety cell to protect you either.

Personally the best car to be driving today in an accident with another is a yank tank.

The other car would become your whole crumple zone but if you hit a solid object like a pole or tree you would be really screwed.....all a compromise.

Would i put one of my family members into one of these small cars????? no.

Thanks

It is mathematically simple.

The length of your bonnet, generally,is of extreme importance in the maths.

If your car could get from zero to 60 km/h in one metre would you think it was fast?

hell yeah...it would be a rocket wouldn't it?

Well decelleration is mathematically the same except in the opposite direction.

So the forces on your body would be identical, just one kicks you in the back while the other kicks you in the front.

60 km/ is 16.67 metres per second.

The car travels one metre in 0.0625 of a second at 60 km/h.

So if your bonnet is one metre long and you hit a brick wall etc at 60km/h you will stop in about 1/16th of a second.

But if your bonnet is a toy bonnet only half a metre long then your car will stop in 1/32nd of a second.

The deceleration forces are HUGE and TWICE as high for the small car...(in simple terms)

What do you think would happen to your heart and arteries with that sort of decelleration?

The heart would rip itself off and keep going forward..hello Princess Dianna..

The G forces alone will easily be greater than the space shuttle taking off the planet.

Consider the initial comment about the car getting from 0-60km/h in one second?

How far into your seat would you be pushed if the little toy Yaris went from 0-60 km/h in 0.03 seconds? What speed would it be doing at the 400m line if it is doing 60k's at 0.5m ?...

Someone can correct my maths if they like but I calculate the small car at 50g's and the large car at 25g's at 60 km/h on this example....

Compare that to the space shuttle reaching 6 g's.....

Your airbag won't save you over 60kmh...

They take typically 0.060-0.080 milliseconds to deploy/inflate from moment of sensing first contact.

Airbags prefer long bonnets at 60km/h ++...

All is not lost though, there are some excellent dental implants now for all those people who head butt dashboards/steering wheels, even with air bags.

Thanks

Good post Zed.

Why bother to mention airbags and dental implants at 60kmh with a small crumple zone, the damage to the occupants is good enough reason to warrant a quick death.

So get a car with a large crumple zone and survive or none and have a quick painless messy death.

Anything in the middle is too painfull to think about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    Good post Zed.

Why bother to mention airbags and dental implants at 60kmh with a small crumple zone, the damage to the occupants is good enough reason to warrant a quick death.

So get a car with a large crumple zone and survive or none and have a quick painless messy death.

Anything in the middle is too painfull to think about.

Trouble is the guts get jammed inside so tight that the paramedics can often keep them alive.

Then they are a burden on society for a long time, with life support machines etc.

I can't believe that people drive these little death traps to save $5 per hundred kilometres....
    Why not get a big V6 on LPG?

Thanks

thats why everybody also needs to consider safe driveing in no matter what sized car you may be driveing.

in normal every day driveing you would defenatly not be reaching 0-60km/h in one meture but that is why every I also strongly advise people drive as safley as they can as well as chooseing the Kind of car wisely to suit their needs and use's for the vehcle.

as a past member of state emergency service of victoria and have witnest people in fatal and serious injury accedents and in the fatal accedents it is usally one stupid driver driveing so stupidly unsafely and againt all the rules for their state that have caused the crash that either killed themselves and or others.

most of these crashes have been side impact and front to side of another vehcle impacts.

in most cases it isent on how safe the car is, it is on how unsafe a driver is on the road that caused a death or few deaths or serious and mulible injuries.

most if not all vehcle manufacturers are doing their best in makeing all sized vehcles they produce as safe as possible within the australian and maybee worldwide saftey design rules and obligation's for australia and for each country.
    but out there on the roads there is always somebody putting their own saftey and the saftey of others at risk by totally disregarding saftey by driveing so stupidly and insainly unsafe and putting there life and other peoples lives at that risk.
    but for the most of us out there we are doing our best to keep other road users safe and any other occupants and family in the car traveling with them safe by driveing in such a way they consider a safe way of driveing so they can get home to their family safe and well.
    I volunteer with steamrail in maintance through to marketing and organiseing of a vintage train tour with vintage steam, diesel and electric trains and it's carrages that were once used in the victorian railways from late 1800's to current V / line service.

we also run tours and charters all over the victorian broad gage rail network.
    visit www.steamrail.com.au for more info

Thanks

Mazda2 Honda Jazz Or Yaris... ALL crap handling (i got a Yaris then traded for honda civic), not to mention they rev more then a sedan, and if i'm right the more u rev the more fuel is used... the price range on a hatchback and sedan is only roughy 2-5k apart... not realli wroth it... if u wanna be cheapo just get the Mitsubishi 380, there like 20k brand new... otherwise get the new accords, better safe then sorrie

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Personaly id go Yaris and sleep at night knowing its Toyota built (bullet proof).

Yep , I'd agree. I made the mistake of buying something other than a toyota for my missus which is sitting dead in the driveway.

Thanks

in normal every day driveing you would defenatly not be reaching 0-60km/h in one meture
    It happens all the time every day.

Its more like 60-0kmh in one metre....the same physics apply.

Feel free to test it against any tree or parked truck, but i somehow feel you may not be around to post the results.

You can be as slow and safe as you like, all it takes is one fool to wipe you off the planet.

You may not even see it comming.

Thanks

I can't believe that people drive these little death traps to save $5 per hundred kilometres....
    Why not get a big V6 on LPG?
    Shhhhh keep it quiet, the less people convert to LPG the cheaper it remains.

Yes folks, LPG destroys your engine, your marriage, and gives you cancer.

Thats $5 per 100km in our pockets.

Besides i think the the world is overpopulated and that small cars make nice soft cushions in accidents.

Yep, keep buying small cars everbody while i drive a large one on LPG.

I hear if you hang a large christian cross on your rear view mirror it makes your small car much safer.

Thanks

I have to laugh when the makers of these crappy little death boxes claim that they are safe due to better visibility, handling,suspension,air bags...

They talk of 3 and 4 star safety ratings due to better brakes cause you don't skid etc.

It never happens that way...

It's more like you are driving along and someone on your left fails to stop at the stop sign...

Or someone comes at you head on over the hill...

No reaction time, no warning, just maximum impact.

They never talk about that scenario...

Thanks

It's more like you are driving along and someone on your left fails to stop at the stop sign...

Or someone comes at you head on over the hill...

No reaction time, no warning, just maximum impact.

They never talk about that scenario...
    Geez if they told you the truth they would never sell a small car.

When your careful chances are it will be someone else causing it not yourself. The outcome will be out of your hands. Just a flash out of the corner of your eyes and bang, some idiot talking on his/her mobile or in another world slips up for a millisecond.

A sorry wont bring you back.

And suckers are lining up to buy the coffins on wheels.

Call it the unseen Darwins theory of natural selection.

The big cars are on top of the food chain.

Thanks

And suckers are lining up to buy the coffins on wheels.

Call it the unseen Darwins theory of natural selection.

The big cars are on top of the food chain.

...I love that...do you mind if i use it on other forums?

Thanks

Knock yourself out Zed.

But also spread the word that large christian crosses hanging off rear view mirrors can help to protect drivers of these small cars.....they will believe anything you tell them. Just ask any car sales man.

A thick 8 point roll cage with intrusion bars, plenty of padding wrapped around the occupants and crash helmets may be somewhat better though.

Thanks

I guess we could also call Yaris drivers

"hot swap" organ donors....hahahahahaha

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast