Thread: We have a visitor from another Galaxy

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default We have a visitor from another Galaxy

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (19-09-19),allover (19-09-19),eaglem (20-09-19),enf (20-09-19),Guiseppe (19-09-19),hinekadon (19-09-19),Tiny (19-09-19)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,905 Posts

Hey, I’m sure I’ve seen this movie, isn’t Morgan Freeman, Robert Duvall, Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum all in this one.....
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

eaglem (20-09-19),enf (20-09-19),hinekadon (19-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

"We have a visitor from another Galaxy"

You might have overstated that just a little.
    "We have a visitor from this Galaxy"

The truth is not always that exciting.
    But the galaxy is a pretty big place. I sometimes have to put into perspective for members of our astronomy club.

If the sun is the size of a grain of sand, alpha centauri is 30km away.
    And if at that scale the sun were at the center of the milky way galaxy, the edge would be where the moon is.

Our visitor is traveling at 33kmps.
    For it to have come from the nearest 'other' galaxy (Andromeda) [not LMC or SMC].
    would have taken about 23 billion years at that speed. Twice the age of the universe.

From another galaxy ... sorry, but no.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (20-09-19),alpha0ne (20-09-19),eaglem (20-09-19),enf (20-09-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yes Trash, Interstellar not Intergalactic I missed that from the “Linux Looney”
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    Hey, I’m sure I’ve seen this movie, isn’t Morgan Freeman, Robert Duvall, Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum all in this one.....
    ...which of course means I missed Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Matt Damon, CASE and TARS....
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

eaglem (20-09-19),enf (20-09-19),Tiny (20-09-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Yeah! I was exaggerating a little bit, but if you follow the expansion theory and this was sent on its trajectory "in the beginning" then, indeed, it could have come from another galaxy. Remember before the "Big Bang", there was nothing, then nothing happened and our "universe" appeared.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Keeping my on my toes again ..... <"in the beginning" then, indeed, it could have come from another galaxy.>
    Nope. Before cosmic inflation, there were no galaxies. There were no stars. There was no Oxygen. There was no iron. There were no comets.

So at the end of cosmic inflation, the galaxies already, pretty far apart. Considering that Andromeda and the Milky Way are blue shifted, they were further apart in the past.
    The universe might be expanding but galaxies were not all that closer together in the past.

We can make an assumption that a galaxy and it's population III stars form at the same time. Still no comets.
    The population III stars die and the galaxy now has interstellar dust including Oxygen. This is when comets start forming. Population II stars are also forming.
    By this time we're about 1 billion years down the road and galaxies are on average about 10 million light years apart.

So there really is no chance of intergalactic comets. So the answer is still no. Nice try.

However... I like to find any exceptions before somebody else does.
    That exception comes in the form of the Milky Way being made up of previous galaxy mergers. The problem is that neither of the smaller galaxies was the Milky Way.
    In the same way that the merger of our galaxy and Andromeda is not The Milky Way or Andromeda, it's something new. Since the Earth didn't exist in either those parent galaxies, we can't differentiate if something came from another galaxy when it could have come from either or neither.

So that's a no as well
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

I hope we can see it like that one in the early 90's that was visible from northern Australia, can't remember what it was called.

Me & a mate were travelling one night from the central west of QLD up towards a cattle station near the Burke & Wills roadhouse in the Gulf Country.
    We turned off the Landsborough highway at Kynuna heading north & the overcast sky started to clear, as we travelled we could see what appeared to be some sort of searchlight beam pointing up from the horizon, discussed it several times over the next couple of hours, never reached a conclusion as to what it was other than a bright looking beam of light that appeared to be pointing from the ground up into the sky.
    Got to the station turnoff around 1am-ish, pulled off the track into the station homestead at the first grid for a few hours camp, noticing this light beam had changed it's angle somewhat since we first saw it a few hours before.

Got up about 4am-ish for a leak & noticed the earth had rotated enough to see what it actually was that was creating the mystery beam of light.
    Down low near the northern horizon was the head completely visible & the tail was stretching way out behind it...what a fking awesome sight, crystal clear Gulf Country sky, no lights in any direction, no moon only stars & a large comet fully visible in the dark sky.
    Kicked the mate in the guts & we both watched it until the sun came up & we had to get a move on to our destination.
    From memory I don't think it was visible the next night & I think when we saw it was the last chance before it moved too far away to be seen from the southern hemisphere or something like that.
    I will remember that few hours for the rest of my life.

Would love to see something like that again now I have a telescope & some decent cameras...

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

We had a visitor here last night, I thought it was just lightning, but no it was a meteorite.
    Someone just happened to catch it on phone video.

Dash cam video at

Edit: Oh & btw I saw a meteorite trail & explosion in the same patch of sky about 2 weeks ago; apparently no one else saw it or captured it on camera.
    I just happened to glance out the window at the time & it was about the same time of night as last nights meteor.
    I wonder what the chances of that are? 2 weeks ago our planet was in a different place in the solar system.
    I guess meteorites are hitting the atmosphere more often than most of us expect.
    Last edited by Tiny; 21-09-19 at 11:27 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (21-09-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Didn’t see it but heard it, hell of a bang. I thought it was thunder at first but when I checked outside the sky was clear and so was the weather map.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

LSemmens
    Thanks

"My God! It's Full of stars"

Thanks

thank you, but i have actually been here for a while, i came in through ...The Gate

from the other side of the known Universe ... i bring you 8D Sound

headfones recommended

Last edited by mello yello; 10-10-19 at 01:30 PM.