Thread: Rubbish

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Default Rubbish

Was reflecting on a recent trip to Arnhem Land last night and the beaches there. What shocked me was the amount of waste on the pristine beaches where hardly any one goes. You feel compelled to pick up the waste and place it in heaps, you can see where other people have done the same
    According to the locals, the waste is right across the top of the Land and is carried from Indonesia on the currents
    What prompted me to post was this article i read this morning

I am getting more pessimistic each day,especially re global warming and that people who see them selves as educated, in denial, maybe i am getting old and grouchy but then again it has been announced that the world has just gone through its hottest period over the last 5 years
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

eaglem (23-09-19),ol' boy (23-09-19),Uncle Fester (23-09-19)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Great topic

But i have to laugh at Direction Island being an Australian Beach!!!
    That is a bit like buying a 1ft square plot of land in Scotland and becoming a "Lord"
    Or that the best beach in France is on New Caledonia

Are they confusing it with Direction Island off Exmouth? Or Direction Island in the Mackerel Islands, off Onslow?
    Maybe i'm missing something, they are talking about Direction Island, Australia and showing pictures of the Cocos Islands, an Australian Territory... but come on.....

Then there is the "Best Beach in Australia" award.... Seriously, who votes that?
    I've been to a few of them and would never call them the best beach in AU...

Anyway.... Sounds like a great trip allover
    A place i really want to explore

I've had a friend move up that way and he told me the beaches around Gove and Nhulunbuy are some of the best he has seen in Australia
    Then again, as above, this is obviously a personal thing.
    He mentioned no rubbish in those areas.

I had my eyes opened 20 years ago when i went on my first Indian Ocean Surfing Boat trip.....
    Indo based boat, Aussie operator, Indo deck hands

Any rubbish just went over board
    Anything that stopped working (aka the Microwave) went over board
    I'd hate to think when gets dumped off large ships, barges, trawlers, etc

Next trip with the Maldives, they built an island out of rubbish!
    And just keep taking it there! Thilafushi is the island (it might be closed now)
    Its a good look... Wonder what happens if a cyclone passes over?

Now when you look where the Maldives are and the Cocos Islands are and then consider the general wind and currents....

What amazes me, is these islands are just specs on the over all landscape, can you imagine how much floating rubbish is out to sea, not washing ashore... Well, not that shore anyway.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 23-09-19 at 09:58 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    the world has just gone through its hottest period over the last 5 years
    What about early than 5 years? What about the world has got the Hottest 5 Years in a row 100 years ago before we had Cars and Coal Power stations

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Was reflecting on a recent trip to Arnhem Land last night and the beaches there. What shocked me was the amount of waste on the pristine beaches where hardly any one goes. You feel compelled to pick up the waste and place it in heaps, you can see where other people have done the same
    That's Sad.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

Have been travelling the Arnhemland coast for many years, and the amount of plastic, rubber, netting and styrofoam on the beaches is depressing. Apart from the huge amount of small rubbish like thongs, cigarette lighters and PET drink bottles, there are HUGE piles of green drift-net that the aboriginal rangers have dragged up above the high-tide mark because they are too big to do anything else with. It is a stark contrast to the beaches of the Van Dieman Gulf near Darwin, that have Melville Island and Cobourg Peninsula protecting them from the Northern wash. There is basically NO rubbish on these beaches.

I stayed at Direction Island in the 1980's, and the beaches on the Northern shore were metres deep in rubbish back then. My shipmates and I collected huge foam-rubber mats that thongs are stamped from, to make beach 'mattresses' to sleep on, and also tied them together to make floating rafts for recreation.

The Cocos Keeling Islands are definitely Australia. West Island has a large RAAF airstrip and a town of about 100 Australian (mainly) public-servants, with all amenities and a growing tourist industry. Home Island has a town of about 500 Malay-descended Australians. All residents have Australian citizenship and vote in Australian elections.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onefella For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (23-09-19),lsemmens (23-09-19)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    What about early than 5 years? What about the world has got the Hottest 5 Years in a row 100 years ago before we had Cars and Coal Power stations
    Well Mr 672a, please elaborate, I am all eyes and ears??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    If you look at historic records, there are still more that have stood 100 years or more than there are recent one.
    The whole Globull warming thing is an absoloute crock of shit and there is no other way to put it. I can't believe how otherwise intelligent people are sucked into this Huge con. The fact that in so many places now you aren't even allowed to have any sort of opinion and academics won't even entertain the idea of discussing anything but he single minded green washing tell you how scared they are of the truth it's all a complete lie coming out.

The amount of plastic and rubbish in the sea is a huge concern and something the climate change alarmists would be far better putting all their time into than gluing themselves to the road and having these protest days. There is so much of this stuff we should be just collecting it and burning it for fuel. It is solidified oil after all. Of course the green washed have a spit about that ( and everything else) but the FACT is recycling this is a million miles away from feasable.

It is a shame ore is not used to make products that only require low grade feedstock that can be mixed like fence posts and park benches and paving stones etc.
    Not sure why but those products are always very expensive for what they are though.

The Climate change thing is BS. If it's hot it's a catastrophe, if it's cold they have the 2 way bet going so they can sook about that. by extraplolation they want the weather to be the same every day. Completely Illogical.
    The plastic/ Rubbish problem however IS a very serious one but like everything else, while ever it suits big biz who control the gubbermint Puppets, nothing will ever be done about it till we really are in the shit.

Premium Member

Thanks

Oh George, I hope you are right, but as said previously, if you are wrong then the world gets the 3 gongs and out due to you knowing better than the academics, wish i could be so confident
    Last edited by allover; 23-09-19 at 06:07 PM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,075 Times in 9,093 Posts

Oh George, I hope you are right, but as said previously, if you are wrong then the world gets the 3 gongs and out due to you knowing better than the academics, wish i could be so confident
    Massive volcanic eruptions were the cause weren't they? Krakatoa?

Maybe I am wrong. I didn't look it up.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Massive volcanic eruptions were the cause weren't they? Krakatoa?

Maybe I am wrong. I didn't look it up.
    I think you are correct, but was definitely volcanic eruptions
    Last edited by allover; 23-09-19 at 09:15 PM.