Thread: Tires - The grudge purchase we all have to make

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Tires - The grudge purchase we all have to make

And it is no surprise Asia has aligned itself in the money stream!
    Its always made me laugh, that greenie do gooders are all about plastic bags and straws, but no one ever mentions tires

Each year, approximately 50 million vehicle tyres reach end-of-life across Australia. Sadly, only 16 per cent of these are currently being recycled locally, yet each passenger car tyre contains approximately 1.5kg of steel, 0.5kg of textiles and 7kg of rubber. A large proportion of the total number of end-of-life tyres are shipped overseas while the remainder are either sent to landfill, stockpiled or illegally dumped.

A very interesting doco

If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (27-09-19),Mr 672A (26-09-19),VroomVroom (27-09-19)

Look Here ->
    The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Unbelievable exploitation of these People. The funny thing no Company wants to tell you we there source there rubber from. Interesting about Re tread tires?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    Unbelievable exploitation of these People. The funny thing no Company wants to tell you we there source there rubber from. Interesting about Re tread tires?
    My uncle bought, well he gave the money to a Thai women to buy a Rubber Plantation around 6 years ago
    Nice to see the ass has fallen out of that.... Not that he will ever see his money again anyway.

Yes, very interesting about the re treads, there must be a huge black market economy of people passing off retreats as new somewhere in the world
    I remember to old retreats we had years ago (like 30 years ago) they were obvious to spot.
    Now days it looks like they re-coat the entire tire, including the side walls?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 26-09-19 at 11:35 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    Yes, very interesting about the re treads, there must be a huge black market economy of people passing off retreats as new somewhere in the world
    I remember to old retreats we had years ago (like 30 years ago) they were obvious to spot.
    Now days it looks like they re-coat the entire tire, including the side walls?
    Back in the 70's I purchased from the US a set of BAGDAGS or BADGAGS(is it spelt this way) Retreads and they were still good at 60,000 Miles yes Miles on Aust roads and I only got rid of them as I had cracks appear on the walls itself. If you did a burn out you dug out the tar or polished the Concrete on the road, yeah that hard. no good in the wet I say so. Now I did 60,000 miles on them so what did the original tire do before they were re treaded do.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

very sad , but a good insight into what happens with every industry , its all about the big companies and governments gouging all the taxes and profits and the people at the bottom getting the chicken feed.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

I remember about 15-20 years ago meeting the person responsible for bringing tyre prices down by flooding the market with cheap Chinese tyres.

He was telling me he use to buy 1 new good brand name tyre, cut a 6 inch square section as a swatch, pack it into his suitcase and take it to china to copy.

Only difference was the side wall wrote Roadstone instead of Bridgestone.......and the the rubber compound was shit.

I once threw a set on the daily, they were OK till about half worn, once half worn the rubber compound changed (probably from heat cycles) and goodbye grip.

Once i had the car sideways at right angles to the roundabout after just a very light sprinkle of rain and i was going at walking pace.

Made me wonder how many people used these tyres and died on the road.

I doubt a police investigation into a car accident would have looked at the grip due to the compound of the tyres, im guessing they just check tread depth and say tyres not to blame, speed was.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (27-09-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yes, therre are a lot of these no name brand tyres in the 4WD scene, considering the price of a brand name, they have lots of wiggle room.
    I looked on Alibaba and you could buy a 285/75 R16 for $28 USD.
    Some guy online was raving about them, he put them on his Ford Ranger and Caravan, he mostly did slow off road work.
    Got good mileage... I'd hate to see what they were like on a greasy black top road though

My next thought is, in relation to these Asian rubber plantations.... How much raw rubber is used in a car tire anyway?
    Isn't mostly artificial compounds now?

Thanks

Saw few years ago majority of tyres made have life of 6 years now due to materials used. Have had tyres with good tread suddenly blow out due to belt. separation. Another. reason no retreading now.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Amazing prices

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (03-10-19)

Thanks

There's a guy here in Tassie who collects tyres to recycle them. He may be running a perfectly legitimate business, but to me, it looks like it has potential to be a massive scam that will end up costing Council ratepayers millions of dollars.

He leased a big paddock and started stockpiling tyres on it years ago. Every year, the stockpile grows and he is pocketing all the money for safe and responsible disposal of the tyres. The local newspaper will run a story on how huge the stockpile is and every time he assures the reporter that he's about to buy a machine for shredding the tyres "real soon now"... but nothing changes, except the stockpile grows even bigger.

What's the bet the business suddenly goes broke and he disappears, along with all the money he has pocketed for proper disposal of the tyres. His landlord, and likely the local council will then have to fork out millions to do the job he has been paid to do.

Oh... and a few years ago a fire broke out in his tyre stockpile that took days to extinguish and smothered the local town in toxic smoke.

Last edited by shred; 27-09-19 at 08:31 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (27-09-19),VroomVroom (30-09-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Just googled him, that is some good reading

He had the council cornered, so they had to grant the processing plant
    Clever man

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mix View Post
    Saw few years ago majority of tyres made have life of 6 years now due to materials used. Have had tyres with good tread suddenly blow out due to belt. separation. Another. reason no retreading now.
    Back in the 70s retreads would separate on any warmish day. There were also issues with Bridgestone Supercats back then. They were great tyres, provided you kept the tyre pressure above 32psi or they would separate too. I also had that issue with other brands too. ONe trip from Darwin to Adelaide I did 4 tyres, before I hit Tennant Creek. I was heading South, and south of the border was still 600 miles of dirt back then!

Tyres have improved a lot since then. However, I still run a minimum of 32psi in my tyres.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    Amazing prices
    This is all about ruining the western economy. Chinese are producing by the droves GOODRIDE Tires that are a match of GOODYEAR Tires. The Importer here get them for peanuts and yet sells them just below the same price for the GOODYEARS ones

Premium Member
    Thanks

Goodride are oem on Lumberjack Campers.

Thanks

Modern re-moulds cover the entire carcass and not just the tread section like the old retreads, over in pommy land they seem to love them.

• The Following User Says Thank You to loanrangiel For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (01-10-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loanrangiel View Post
    Modern re-moulds cover the entire carcass and not just the tread section like the old retreads, over in pommy land they seem to love them.
    Ah thanks mate
    I knew it had to be something like that

I wonder if that has made it easy for them to pass off retreads as new?
    Its a bit like printing money

Premium Member
    Thanks

Another example of China flooding the market.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Whole Vid seemed like a marketing initiative for retreads funded by some greenie organisation.

In a lot of 3rd world and more enterprising countries, Tyres are not a waste problem at all. They Pyrolise them back into oil/ fuel and get the carbon black which they sell and the steel which is recycled. Plenty of vids on it on YT, its not a rare or unusual thing and has been done for decades.
    In the progressive west it's all too much trouble or not financially effective or probably too hard to meet BS emissions regulations and then we bitch and complain about a waste problem when we do little to nothing useful with them.
    Looked at the right way, these things are a huge resource rather than a problem just the same as plastic which is also collected and recycled or reused even for fuel in poorer parts of the world we would say are backwards.

The reality is that recycling anything bar metal right now is a complete Crock and a lot of feel good lip service to appease the sheeple whom would all be upset if they knew it was all going to land fill.
    There is a lot that can and is done in other places, we just ignore the possibilities and make a headache for ourselves.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

ammlione (05-10-19),Godzilla (03-10-19),hinekadon (03-10-19),VroomVroom (04-10-19)