Thread: amp dramas

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

Default amp dramas

hey guys i bought a kingray mhw24fe amp to replace a mhw34 that looks stuffed, but it didnt work
    theres power getting to the amp from inside psk08 17.5v ? but no return signal

either i got the wrong amp, (do i need a Lte)

or the splitter isnt letting the signal come back, i bypassed the amp & the reception is good except channel 9, so im thinking just upgrade his pissy antenna & skip the amp.

but why didnt it wotk?

https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Amps will block signal if in the line, but not powered, which suggests that may be your problem.

Just to clarify... have you confirmed power is actually present at the amp itself?

How have you measured signals?

If signal level from an amp are too strong, they cause tuner overload and the result is identical to no signal.

You shouldn't use wideband amp if your local signals don't include both VHF and UHF as they increase the likelihood of strong out-of-band signals interfering and causing tuner overload.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Amps will block signal if in the line, but not powered, which suggests that may be your problem.
    well i only had a multimeter, so i checked the psk08, & had 17.5v at the amp cable, plus the little green light in the amp was on, looks like the old setup was to sugarloaf (10,000 miles away)
    its got a shit little phased array, & a 100 yr old kingray amp with no door on it.

so removed old amp, hand wired lol, didnt have connectors,joined the cable & bingo,

now its been turned horizontal? to suit out gan gan tower about a 3 iron away, so i guess its over amped, but apparently has been working until last storm

its not a lte amp, dunno if that matters, but i think ill just buy him a better phased array & it should be sweet.

Last edited by Philquad; 26-09-19 at 01:52 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

The Gan Gan translators are all vertical polarisation, so the antenna needs to also be vertical, as per your pic.

The amp in the pic is corroded/rusted, as is the mast...lol

I'd recommend replacing the antenna with a full-size phased array, as they are a good performer, particularly with vertical signals.

If there's obstacles in the signal path... buildings, trees, vegetation, the antenna will need to be relocated for the clearest signal path.

The coax cables also likely need replacing as they most probably have has moisture ingress which will likely have corroded the conductors.

I'd be doing all those things first before considering installing an amp.

Thanks

as i thought
    new square thing & pole
    no new cable as wheelchair not fit in roof