Thread: please forgiv noob Q's

Thanks

Default please forgiv noob Q's

Hi All,

A little of my Background, I have too much stuff not in use, I have a couple of PC's floating around the house, a 19inch monitor and a modded xbox (series 1). I was thinking of selling xbox and getting my MCE back on 1 PC and Myth on the other, The fact i have 3 tivos probaly makes having a couple of HTPC's a little excesive .

My 4yr old keeps asking to play the xbox (it disconested for the wii) so I keep telling him it's broken, then I was looking through here and thought maybe I could start doing a MAME (good chance I will start and then stop

So my q's
    with the above stuff I mentioned what would be the best way to start.

Use the PC,
    use the xbox,
    what s/w do I need,
    what do you use as controllers

I assume I could setup a PC or Xbox as a MAME "simply" then over time start to build a cabinet ?

I have found the following sites.

Is there a recomended site/guide to read ?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

if ya just wanna play mame on a tv --> xbox as you already have controllers etc... just gotta mod it, download mame and roms then off you go --> less hassles and probably more kid friendly

if ya wanna make a proper cabinet sounds like you have the pc hardware sorted.... id suggest getting a 2nd hand cab off ebay and doing it up as its cheaper but depends on your skills and the condition of the original cab

somthing like this

goes well for a mame cab.... I bought mine semi working for $120ish

has good arcade gear (you will find any of the pac range of devices [j-pac, i-pac, etc] useful depending on which way you are going

is a very good arcade forum

let us know which way you go and maybe I can give you more advice when you know which way you will go...

good luck,

pak