Hi all,
Long time no hear - although I do check on what's happening down here. Have posted this question in WP as well so I can get a broader response.

Recently, I made a stupid mistake whilst checking the Hydraulic Fluid level in a Crown 3.5t forklift, three yrs old.
The level wasn't showing up on the dipstick and so (being prompted, by my work colleague, like a good fellow he was...), I used a long piece of cardboard and dipped it into the filler hole to see where the level was.
Not that this is the issue: But the piece of cardboard fell in and it was a hassle to get it out (Crown weren't called, as another worker got it out).

I was wearing gloves and obviously didn't have the tactile feel and (I guess), the weight of the fluid as it absorbed into the cardboard, caused it to slip out of my fingers. Stupid me I know.

Management is now telling me (that whilst I was trying to do the right thing), I created a fire risk as the cardboard could have ignited in the hot fluid, and I could have caused a fire inside the warehouse. Quote: "Could have gone WHOOSH..!!"
Now the OSHA officer is involved because of this 'fire' risk!

I'm fearing that the big bosses from HQ will get to know about this 'fire risk' that happened in the warehouse.
And I'm worried that this 'fire risk' will go on my record.

The forklift had not been constant use. It had been sat still for at least 20minutes as I was checking the fluid level.

I have Googled what I can, but can't see if 'cardboard' would have caught fire, only 'aerosolized' fluid catching fire.
The cardboard was the normal corrugated stuff. Not the shoe box type, but the packing box stuff.

I personally can't see that a piece of cardboard could catch fire, but I don't know. So I am asking here.

Thanks, GT250.