Thread: Trash- Help save me

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Default Trash- Help save me

Trash, help i cannot sleep
    Woke up at 3am this morning and on went Kodi, there was a science program on whilst i was drowsy, until they mentioned quarz(?) and black holes and that they are trying to prove their existence by smashing atoms at the Cern collider drome, some thing like a velodrome but they go in 2 directions at the one time
    But what woke me bolt upright was if they stuff up and create a mini black hole and cannot control it or worse, the quarz losses it attaching atom and goes rogue, becoming the heaviest item in the universe, it could drop to the centre of the earth (where it is at equilibrium to gravity) and then start digesting Earth from inside out, and the next picture you see of Earth will be as attached

Now i am not too sure that i will be able to sleep tonite until you can assure me that this wont happen
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

I think you're doomed, Allover. Look, just in case we are, send me all your money, and I'll put in a good word with the man upstairs for you.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

DB44 (03-10-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

The mini black hole thing. Nothing to worry about. Not going to happen. There are lots of problems with it happening.
    It basically comes down to energy density. There needs to be enough energy in one point of space to warp the space beside it (gravity) with enough of a grasp to prevent a photon from traveling away from it.

One has to push so hard on the fabric of space that it breaks.
    To do this, you will need about 6x10^30 Joules in the space of something the diameter of a neutrino.

In the LHC protons are accelerated to about 5-10TeV (lets use 10TeV), 10TeV = 1.6x10^-6 Joules per proton.

So you can see the LHC needs to be about 10^36 times more powerful to create any kind of black hole.
    To achieve this kind of power, assuming the machine wouldn't literally tear itself apart, it would require more than all of the electricity ever created by humans ever.

So you can sleep well.
    However, if you want something more realistic to ponder. How does one turn off the LHC?
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

DB44 (03-10-19),hinekadon (02-10-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

I believe they may have been talking about Quarks.

From what I have read and watched I have come to the conclusion that in the Quantum World anything is possible, so why not micro black holes even which the energy of the LHC.
    However it is assumed that they would instantly evaporate due to Hawking Radiation.

Black holes generally need to have a very high mass of stellar proportions to be sustainable and capable of gobbling things up.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 02-10-19 at 11:13 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    How does one turn off the LHC?
    That's easy, just don't pay the electricery bill for a couple of months. The supplier will happily pull the pin.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

allover (03-10-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Just close the liquid Helium valves and it will shut itself down.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Have you seen what happens with just one beam steering magnet doesn't get it's liquid helium?

Thanks

The LHC and other particle colliders and accelerators can't just turn off like a light bulb.
    The energy stored in the ring of the particle beams is quite large. Think of the kinetic energy of a freight train. When that thing goes off the rails at full speed, there is a lot of destruction. The same thing happens in a particle accelerator, all that energy has to go somewhere.

This little article will hook your interest.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

allover (05-10-19)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Does that mean i can go back to bed Trash?
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"