Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Setup for weather satellite GK-2A

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 391 Posts

I'm using a new colour underlay. I think it looks fairly good. Received from GK-2A a few minutes ago. 2.5m dish, cantenna feed, Nooelec Sawbird LNA, Nooelec NESDR, Xrit decoder by USA-Satcom.

Last edited by Learjet; 12-06-20 at 01:07 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Learjet For This Useful Post:

hca (12-06-20),tristen (12-06-20)

Thanks

Ok Learjet, The overlay is better than "fairly good" its excellent! I always find these images irresistible, first thing you look at is your local area. If that swirl in the image winds up someone up there going to get wet.

Better keep the horse in front of the cart with respect to windows LRIT software, after 25 years of contempt for MS means personally that's my last resort, in my opinion the only good thing MS have done "themselves" is make PC hardware develop quickly and cheap for one and all.. Whilst I have compiled linux radio sonde decoder and uploading code to run in Wes7 behind SDR# the fact is I don't know much about MS inards except it eventually fouls itself, and easiest fix is to format and reinstall.

Having had that off topic gripe, I must say once the data stream is in the box, processing it and writing it to file does not require GUI interface programming, the linux sdr code for MS is freely available and like Sams approach a client and web page interface avoids those issues. There is a lot of software on MS boxes that's developed on and ported across from linux so why not LRIT code? A look in Github shows a lot of new development activity in the HRIT and LRIT areas.

Except they are so expensive, putting together a module that adds Sams code or similar to one of these new Zgemma or VU+ well endowed linux STBs possibly with a thumb stick for storage and sending the JPG images out the network socket would avoid the Novra or SDR requirement. Also these new receivers can all display images from thumbs sticks. The perfect standalone PC free solution but it appears my old DM500s are not up to the task.

I think that way because I already have sonde tracking, AIS, ADSB, APRS, weather station and lightning tracking, all uploading, among other things all running 24/7 on a couple of raspi3s. Hands free and low energy consumption, accessible from any PC of mobile phone. Adding a small snippet jpg of the approaching clouds and rain to that in the same way appeals to me.

That brings us back to the issue in hand, signal acquisition, before any thing else I need to get the GK-2A signal with the modified S band LNB receiving and fed to Sams software and some of these other apps and learn a bit. But first as in another topic I need to go and remove a coat of what appears to be radar absorbing paint from 2 dishes and a dozen other things.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hca For This Useful Post:

cmoore (21-06-20),Learjet (12-06-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hca View Post
    I don't know much about MS inards except it eventually fouls itself, and easiest fix is to format and reinstall.
    Should not have said that, the next morning it locked, BSOD, and no more NTloader this morning. I suspected probably SSD failure not the OS, but as you mentioned Sam had GK-2A on a 40cm gridpack I was going to take it up the roof and try to get GK-2A on an 80cm offset with the modified S band LNB in the afternoon when things cooled down.

Put the drive in another machine and its fine, pulled the most recent profiles and downloads since last backup, put it back ready to put a bootloader on and it boots ok.
    A few weirdos but its working again. Just another windows moment, reach for the linux installer it comes good every time!

So after much ado with a few RTL sdrs and amps, sdr# lockups, I could not get any joy from the offset, so I resorted to basics. I made a small wooden plug the same size as a cband LNB with a hole for the coax in the centre. I set a 2.1mt mesh on Laosat1 cband which is almost in the same position, replaced the c band LNB with the plug and put the coax through the plug and split it to about an 8cm to form a 1/2 wave dipole at the FP.

No change in the noise floor but add one 20db inline amp block and viola as below. Adding a second amp gives no increase to the snr.

I have had Sams code which only takes a few minutes to install on the Debian box waiting, I started that and that's it, it just works, point a browser at it and the first pix is up in a few minutes.

Last edited by hca; 18-06-20 at 10:35 PM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hca For This Useful Post:

cmoore (21-06-20),Learjet (19-06-20),tristen (19-06-20)

Thanks

Excellent hca! You've got it! Don't forget the skew of the feed may need to be twisted for optimum signal. When I first run my setup I used those cheap 20dB inline amps as well with success. But in general the GOES Sawbird gives me better SNR. Anyway well done! Good to see.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Learjet For This Useful Post:

hca (19-06-20)

Thanks

Cheers Learjet,
    Yes that's a rough as guts setup just to get a signal to investigate the software and confirm the SDRs are not deaf at that frequency as they only go to 1.8g, I will have some TV issues with upper management if I stay in that C band dish. I am still hopeful of getting the toilet seat with the modified sband lnb sorted, but that setup would indicate something that fits in lieu of the cband LNB in the same scalar might be am easy way to go for LRIT.

If the little offset dish is no good, plan B to investigate is put a dish on Telstar 18 as prime and try an offset either side on JC-sat2b and GK-2A.

I have 2 apparently genuine silver RTL-SDR which are ok with similar performance, the third is one of green ones with the 0.5pmm TXO which seems to have a few small spikes but looks to be 5db down on the silvers.

On the software side in linux there is a program called image magic that's been around for years that can add the overlay and crop the area of interest from a script or can be called from Sams Python code that I think is a good start. My aim is as said, generate a webpage with 6 of the last images each with just a 100km square of the the local area. It will work but I am still after a pc free solution.

I had a look for the coastline overlay in the GK-2A site last night with no success, I also looked for it in their processing software. Can you tell me where you found it or maybe email the image? Posting it would be fine if the postimage site does not alter it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to hca For This Useful Post:

cmoore (21-06-20)

Thanks

There's a fellow called John that is based in Japan that has uploaded a lot of coastlines and under/overlay maps for GK-2A to github, but I don't have the link bookmarked. I stay in contact with a lot of these guys on Twitter. I do have them on the hard drive so I'll see if I can link them here from Imgur. There's a number of variations.

Lately I've been using Gimp with the batch add-on Bimp to add these coastlines and colour maps. I use the "watermark" option, choose "image" and set the transparency to about 25%.

See if these load up.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Learjet For This Useful Post:

cmoore (21-06-20),hca (21-06-20),Mr 672A (21-06-20)

Thanks

Sam's page with heaps of info and some underlay images for IR colour data.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Learjet For This Useful Post:

cmoore (21-06-20),hca (21-06-20)

Thanks

Thanks again Learjet,
    please, just to confirm the file as downloaded is not altered, the yellow overlay is 7iI0b31.gif, 2200X2200 52.9 KB (54,242 bytes)?

You mention using Gimp but not using linux? Does it run on MS these days?

Yes I have looked at whats on Sams site, he may well have options to add overlays and crop the images in the works but I think right now his next goal is HRIT. He is doing a fine job. Apart from producing knock off licenses and ID cards in gimp in the past I don't know much about image processing apart from crop and cut and pasteing pixels which is all I need for this job. I will have to study up on the chrominance to colour concept..

I have been looking at the datasheets of demod chipsets in STBs, most are I2C control and parallel 8 bit data out, there has to be a way to make a HRIT receiver out of one of them for a stand alone solution. Preferably one of these cheap basic new FTA dvb-2s boxes.

Another day spent messing with the 80cm offset.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hca View Post
    Thanks again Learjet,
    please, just to confirm the file as downloaded is not altered, the yellow overlay is 7iI0b31.gif, 2200X2200 52.9 KB (54,242 bytes)?

Is ok, the downloaded overlay files match up with the incoming satellite images

As it happens I have pip3 and python3 on this WES7 box and Sams image enhancement script runs fine on it, also his xrit scripts, except for some reason it drops the image packets from the goesrecv server on the linux box. Now if there was a clever fellow who could compile geosrecv complete with the hardware connection to the SDR driver, the entire process could be used on windows. Failing that just compile the decoder in windows and feed raw data from SDR# via VBcable.

After seeing Sams planning to release a HRIT version I guess that would avoid the big dollar software for windows only users.

Thanks

Yes, Gimp runs on Windows these days. I'm still getting used to it myself, learning as I go.

The only problem with HRIT for GK-2A is that it needs a huge dish, probably 3+ metres for reliable reception. And then you only get 5 channels. Himawaricast by comparison only needs a 2.3m and 14-15 channels are available. L band compared to C band gain I guess, plus the data stream is different.

hca (22-06-20)

Thanks

Well I have an uplink grade 3.5 as in the forum photo but I was planning that for EME this time, for now its stored away while I finish an tracking AZ/EL drive pedestal mount for it, so from what you say about GK-2A hrit is not an option, but JC sat C band Himawari is.

For what I want LRIT will suffice but HRIT would be better considering I only want to crop out a small area. But in searching around I have found you can pull hi-res data a few minutes behind real time which would suffice for any one like me looking for a local storm cloud tracker presentation of the images.

I have spent a lot of time today looking for HRIT code but it appears there's no way around this kencast fazzt client to unwrap the received stream, also for Eucast and the Goes birds?? It look like they all use it which is rather annoying.

Basically we need a fix for this, to get any where with Himawari HRIT it seems we need to unwrap the kencast stream. Basically its a crypt issue. Today I found 3 different versions of it in linux binary's but I cant find a windows version of it on their site or any where else. Any where it can be downloaded?

Thanks

I cheated and got my Kencast software from a mate that admins a weather service that no longer uses satellite streaming. They went land line. And I don't have the install CD. I tried to look for a download site also, but couldn't find one.

GOES 16 and 17 HRIT can be decoded by the USA-Satcom software, from what I see from my mates on the weather image forums. In the USA they only use 1 metre grid packs for it too, and this is L band. Why GK-2A needs such a huge dish for similar, I don't know.

In theory, GOES 17 is a few degrees above the horizon from here, though my yard has trees in that direction. I should go portable with a dish to a hill and see if I can get a sniff of it one day. Though I don't have a portable dish at the moment.

Thanks

I find it strange I can hardly see the GK-2A here with it high overhead with a 80cm solid offset and Sam has it on a 40cm grid pack down there? I figured it was a good use for something that's basically junk, just set it up for the weather sat. I got the sband LNBs for 2.4g EME, the 2 secondhand ones came with the dish. But GK-2A is not very strong here, I assume GK-2A has a different link budget to GOES and expect ground stations to be using 3mt dishes and use less TX power than the GOES birds.

I installed the Fazzt ver 9 client on Debian last night and started to dig into it a bit. Its got a lot of install baggage, web browser, sql etc. Its scripted in linux so you can learn a lot about its inards. Basically its a lot of library's so it could be possible to isolate the ones that process the stream and figure out the entrys and then maybe use them in some of the GOES programs. Its a lot work but I enjoy a challenge, time to do it is the problem. Also I see it can use a hasp dongle for more advance options but the client only needs that single file to run, so it might be possible to convince it to go with out. I suspect its a SHA1 hash file but as you can see it runs!

hca@nuk2:~$ fazzt -v
    Fazzt Service v9.0.0.2
    Fazzt(R) Digital Delivery System 9.2
    Copyright(c) 2000-2017 KenCast, Inc.

I will look further for a windows installer, I hit the kencast site with wget and see what comes it but no sign of it among the other downloads they have. Normally things like that turn up on Iranian, Russian, or Chinese ftp servers. Google search is not much help for this job. Bad luck your mate did not make you an image of the install media in case your pc dies. But your pc would have the all important generic PCXXXXXX.kcl file missing from the installer in it somewhere. There will be an installer log and an uninstall script in there too. I doubt there will be much difference between the main windows and linux code.

The EUMETCAST Tellique software is claimed to work with Himawaricast, 100eu including the dongle. So far that and Dartcom the only other options to Kencast I have found to actually unpack the downlink stream, which would indicate the format is not a proprietary crypt thing as in irdeto or NDS. There must be people working on this. The Indonesian met BMKG use Himawari and I found one of their documents with the system specs using Dartcom not Kensat.

You might be surprised with GOES from a hill with a clear look to the east, my mate has a steep drop down the hill from his place and he can get one of the C band birds that is at 3 degrees elevation. No hope of that here, the trees dictate the dishes are 9 mts above ground just to get a good look at the sky and stop them filling with leaves. Even then my effective easterly horizon is about 15 degrees.

Thanks

Yeah I remember seeing Dartcom software for it.

I watched my mate install Kencast / FAZZT and I'm afraid it's waaaay above my head. I would have no hope of installing it on my own. Everything was done manually. By contrast the USA-Satcom software was easy, got it going first try and you just press a button to start it. That's my level of install skill I'm afraid. I'm a typical windoze user that has to be spoon fed, haha!

By the way I did try a 1m grid on GK-2A and I did see a very tiny spike on the SA. This was with a dipole feed like yours. No chance of decoding it like that though.

Also, there is another service on Asiasat 9 called CMA-cast. It's a DVB-S2 stream like Himawari on C band. I got a solid lock on it with the 2.5m, but no decode. I think it's encrypted.

hca (23-06-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
    Yeah I remember seeing Dartcom software for it.

I watched my mate install Kencast / FAZZT and I'm afraid it's waaaay above my head. I would have no hope of installing it on my own. Everything was done manually. By contrast the USA-Satcom software was easy, got it going first try and you just press a button to start it. That's my level of install skill I'm afraid. I'm a typical windoze user that has to be spoon fed, haha!

By the way I did try a 1m grid on GK-2A and I did see a very tiny spike on the SA. This was with a dipole feed like yours. No chance of decoding it like that though.

Also, there is another service on Asiasat 9 called CMA-cast. It's a DVB-S2 stream like Himawari on C band. I got a solid lock on it with the 2.5m, but no decode. I think it's encrypted.

Dont worry, I was taught hex machine code programing on Motorola mc6800 30+ years ago, but I have never put the effort in to leaning the ins and outs of windows. Its just installs with the operation cloaked, it makes a log file somewhere unknown, it boots with the operation cloaked so you don't become familiar with whats happening. You just use it and when it does not work or it stops, if google cant find a solution no matter how much I curse it I am buggered as well. Its just a tool to do a job, a blunt one at that!

Setting up the Kencast looks imposing but that's probably as its got all the baggage I mentioned, data base, server and web and stream distribution access to set up.

So reflecting on days and days of researching, some experimentation, I think GK-2A LRIT is the starting point.

I will build a properly matched version of the dipole in a normal C band scalar from a dead C band LNB, basically a round disk with the dipole that fits in the scalar with the lnb tube attached. Put the amp on the back of the plate in the LNB tube with the F connector in the back, then knock of the the electronics housing with the grinder. Thus makes a plug in replacement for a Cband LNB, If needed a 5 cm wide ring could easily be added to the outer of the scalar.

If that proves to adequate for GK-2A LRIT in a 1.8mt I will post some pix, its easy for anyone to make and use anywhere for a few bucks. The Sband LNB is bit of an over kill, difficult to mount at the FP, heavy, hard to source outside Indonesia and better used on 2.5gig projects. Mean while the split coax and cheap line amp is still pumping out a pix every 10 minutes. As you pointed out its quite sensitive to having the skew right. Being able to locate Laosat1, peak it, note the skew then swap LNBs makes it easy to find the weak GK-2A signal.

As for HRIT, I have found away to get local high res data with the coastline overlay in realtime plus 3 minutes. Also that data is a processed compile of a couple of different wavelength images to highlight CB cloud tops with storm activity. That's a good solution as a local storm forecasting tool. More so on investigating all these projects on Github I see its easy enough to filter out a rough range and distance by colour to the storm activity overlay.

In this part of the world we are stuck with Himawari and the issue of the transport compression wrapper which requires one of three expensive softwares to remove. Not much good for hobbyists. Once that's fixed your USA-Satcom or one of quite a few other software's and extract the images. Like I said, I have it installed and running in linux but I cant do much with out a sample of the PCXXXXXX.kcl file, PC stands for professional client, I think its basically just the hash block to unzip the Himawari down link. Pulling down their website revealed no sample but their customer base which would indicate WX satellites is a sideline for them.

The keeping the cart behind the horse the first issue is a cheap way to receive the stream, your lucky to be able to borrow the Novra which is a nice stand alone solution compared to a dvb card in a PC or buying a special receiver. Unfortunately cheap second hand vsat modems are TDMA not DVB-S2. Its just a shame none of the STBs I know of have the option to manually define a stream and output it on the network socket, it's only small thing to do.

This whole thing started because I had the idea of modifying the code in an old dreambox 500, to be the same as the Novra. Its led to a lot of research into them, the new STBs boil down to 3 chips, each stand alone and some power supplies. The first 2 make up the receiver demodulator, the 3rd is the controller and does all the video magic. As a hardware guy I see the first 2 as a sensor, take away the controller you have a 2wire I2C control bus and an 8 bit data bus with the receive data. At that point you have the equivalent of an SDR which is easy to interface to a 3v raspi for starters, maybe later to a cheap EP32 wifi board. Pretty much just load in a config of the signal details and its away.

The problem is getting the datasheets of these chipsets, just the pin outs would be a great start. A lot of the cheap new boxes are using the Montage chipset, a local fta one sells for $20, but no sign of documentation. But there is a linux DVB project which already has the code for these chips which seem to have been used in DVB cards so there is ready to go code in my linux box now for these chips except its needs to be redirected to the GPIO ports rather than through a pci bus controller with ioctl.

Its only a concept that needs a lot more research but it might be a cheap solution to a Novra.

I think the Asiasat 9 stream is the Chinese WX sat data, it did not show up when I blind scanned it here. I don't know if the data covers our area but its going to be another special kencast type issue I guess. There is a bit about it on this link. Maybe with the current political goings on they might not be so helpful!

Thanks

My weather Admin mate actually gave me the Novra S300D. But it had an intermittent fault. I ended up searching ebay for a second hand one and bought that. I could have had their 4 metre solid dish too, but it was damaged in disassembly so I left it. The 2.5 metre solid was a handful as it was! Would have been a nice garden ornamant though.

A blind scan won't find CMA-cast. At least it didn't show on my box. But it's there...

hca (27-06-20)

Thanks

I posted a thread on a linux DVB box thats both cheap, and a considerable amount of information available. After spending all yesterday on Baidu searching in Chinese rounding up data and snippets of code for the chipset with a view to converting one for IP tcp, this morning I stumbled on what might be a cheap DVB card option.

This month the GEOnetcast Americas are moving to DVB-2S, from their blog they claim 4 suitable receivers, one is a SkyStar S2 PCI which costs 10EU.

I refer to this link

That links to purchase here. I don't know the difference between the 10Eu "bulk" and 25EU "complete" versions, possibly the remote and usb device. in which case the card of for 10Eu will do.

[9097].htm

Learjet (27-06-20)

Thanks

An ebay search yields quite a few cheap technisat SkyStar 2 digital satellite receivers also. Be a cheap alternative to the Novra if they work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
    An ebay search yields quite a few cheap technisat SkyStar 2 digital satellite receivers also. Be a cheap alternative to the Novra if they work.
    Just had a look, I see quite a few board variants by the photos, might need to make sure it is the same generation as the new one. as some are the old DVB-2 model

10 EU for some thing like that new strikes me as pretty cheap? No DVB cards that cheap on Ali express.

Also that post is in April, their new DVB-S2 signal was not up till 1st May. = unconfirmed
    I see the Kencast is their new software option.

Last edited by hca; 27-06-20 at 06:15 PM.

Thanks

Here is the LRIT GK-2a result of the S band LNB converted into an L band LNA at PF in a 2.1 mesh direct to an RTL SDR, at a guess the HRIT level would be ok as well if I had suitable receiver. SDR gain at about 20. This one was second hand freebee but here they cost about $10 new.

Running the LNA offset 10 degrees to telstar vanguard in 1.8mt is a few db down on this so till plenty. On that basis I expect I will be able to do Himawari jc-sat C band and GK-2a L band in the same dish.

Last edited by hca; 30-06-20 at 11:44 PM.

Learjet (30-06-20)

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast