Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help i am in over my head :)

Thanks

Default Help i am in over my head :)

Hi Everyone
    I have just joined and thought with all of the expertise that I am sure is here you may be able to help me out.
    About 2 years ago I had a motorized satellite dish installed my wife is Cambodian so I wanted to access as many
    free to air stations from there as possible, we had good reception but all of a sudden the channels have dropped out
    By googling and such I have come to the conclusion it may be the LNB or maybe its not LOL.
    I checked all the connections and checked the LNB for cracks or damage and they look ok.
    I have attached a few photos of results and such I have tried blind scans and cannot find any channels the few that
    have been picked up are not watchable all.
    I have no idea how to locate the satellites wich one for sure or is there more than one how to save positions etc etc etc.
    So I think my qualifications are now well known and any advice help, tips and prayers will all be accepted with the greatest
    gratitude.
    You could say I have a bit to learn.
    I have since replaced the LNB no help.
    i have checked the power for the coaxiel at the LNB and come up with 13.21 volts.
    I am starting to think that it may just be my alignment would you recommend i get a satellite meter to help align my dish
    as i cannot get any signal above 4 % on my signal quality and if so what do you recomend i buy will a cheap meter sufice?
    Also once aligned will a blind scan bring up any transponders in that direction or do i need to insert them manuely?
    What a ramble for my first post sorry about that i will make sure i also search the Forum to learn as much as i can but for
    now i would be happy to find one channel from anywhere in the world that works LOL .

Cheers Trev

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

No pics, seen, Trev.

Please also tell us which satellite and transponder and/or service you were receiving.

Sometimes service providers change frequencies or move to different satellites, so we need to know where to check that info first, as it may not necessarily be you dish/LNB that's the problem.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Hi, i ss a motoried dish and my guess is i got accidently moved.
    A satellite finder is required.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Hi, it is a motorized dish and my guess is it got accidentally moved.
    A satellite finder is required.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    No pics, seen, Trev.

Please also tell us which satellite and transponder and/or service you were receiving.

Sometimes service providers change frequencies or move to different satellites, so we need to know where to check that info first, as it may not necessarily be you dish/LNB that's the problem.

I dont know the transponder but Apstar 6 sattelite i believe and just googling it looks like maybe they have gone over to Apstar 6c but i am not sure so i have been trying to align the dish to this sattelite seeming i lost signal with the other i thought they must have changed .
    When i changed the LNB i did a blind scan with the same sattelite as before but with got no satellite signal at all or channels
    When i had the other LNB in i could get some channels but not cambodian and not watchable just on and of .
    I checked the power to the LNB and it came in at 13.21 volts
    I have moved the dish so there is a big problem on its own i believe, and i also replaced the LNB with another of same spec,s and put the numbers on the LNB to the same position as the one i change out .

I am not sure about polarization but maybe i need to turn the LNB a little ,,thoughts ?
    Trev

Thanks

Probbaly using 78.5E and 132E then
    \

Thanks

UPDATE- I used a phone app satellite tracker and elevation meter and by the app am now aligned with Apstar 6 but still, no signal do you think maybe my LNB may need turning slightly as i replaced it with a new one and got it exactly the same as the one i removed but i dontknow how critical it is .
    Trev.

Thanks

Default Mpeg 4 mpeg 2

Hi everyone another newbie question.
    I have a strong srt 4330 receiver and i think that it supports MPEG 2 that means any satelite using MPEG 4 will not be receivable by my recieveris that correct,I
    realy know nothing of this so any help would be apreciated .
    Maybe i am spending my time trying to tune into things i cannot .
    cheers
    Trev.

Administrator
    Thanks

The Strong SRT-4330 does both DVB-S MPEG2 and DVB-S2 MPEG4.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Shrek2 (17-10-19)

Thanks

Thank you for that every silly question gives me a little more knowlege.
    Is it possible that i need to turn the LNB a little every blind scan i do gets 4% quality only.?
    Also next silly question with the blind scan you have two bars at the bottom one is q i presume quality the other
    is L ? it is at 99%
    Also i think i need a satelite meter/signal finder what would you recomend.
    Sorry for all the questions but i am only fumbling around hoping to one day get it right .
    Cheers
    Trev

Thanks

Sorry forgot one more thing is it ok to receive HD?

Administrator
    Thanks

All dish and LNB alignments require you being able to see signal strength and signal quality as you make adjustments.

You either need a satellite meter that shows both, or receiver and a screen at the dish when you make any adjustments.

First you MUST enter transponder details into the meter/receiver for the signal you are using to tune for the alignment.

I read in another thread of yours that you have a motorised dish. These are very critical that the dish is aligned with north to begin with and the declination angle is factored into the elevation figure.

There are some tutorials on dish alignment in this section.

Shrek2 (17-10-19)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

ok trev first turn off receiver , disconnect the lnb coax then check that you have 11-18v on the receivers lnb plug if you have goody if not, oh shit receiver crook , (dont ever disconnect the lnb with the power on cos it may shit the lnb ) next disconnect the coax at the lnb and plug in the stb ( set top box ) check that you have 11-18v at the top of the coax / if not coax is shit if so goody turn off power and connect coax to lnb if you got a sat screamer/ finder connect in line and have a play to get the dish aligned then lets know how you got on .don

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

Shrek2 (17-10-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    ok trev first turn off receiver , disconnect the lnb coax then check that you have 11-18v on the receivers lnb plug if you have goody if not, oh shit receiver crook , (dont ever disconnect the lnb with the power on cos it may shit the lnb ) next disconnect the coax at the lnb and plug in the stb ( set top box ) check that you have 11-18v at the top of the coax / if not coax is shit if so goody turn off power and connect coax to lnb if you got a sat screamer/ finder connect in line and have a play to get the dish aligned then lets know how you got on .don
    Thanks, Don .
    I have unpluged the coax at the LNB and there is 13.21 volts at that end and then unplugged at the receiver and got 18.4 volts so by that i guess the receiver is ok but i am losing some power through the coax.
    Also i dont have a Sat screamer/finder what would you recomend i buy .
    Apreciate the help learnt a bit got a feeling it is all down to alignment not easy trying to find them little satelites is it .
    Cheers Trev

Thanks

All dish and LNB alignments require you being able to see signal strength and signal quality as you make adjustments.

You either need a satellite meter that shows both, or receiver and a screen at the dish when you make any adjustments.

First you MUST enter transponder details into the meter/receiver for the signal you are using to tune for the alignment.

I read in another thread of yours that you have a motorised dish. These are very critical that the dish is aligned with north to begin with and the declination angle is factored into the elevation figure.

There are some tutorials on dish alignment in this section.
    Thanks for that i only want to find one satellite and then lock everything down i dont need it motorized , i just want FTA Cambodian channels and i believe that there are a few on Apstar 6c so that
    will do find set and lock .
    Cheers Trev.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek2 View Post
    Thanks for that i only want to find one satellite and then lock everything down i dont need it motorized , i just want FTA Cambodian channels and i believe that there are a few on Apstar 6c so that
    will do find set and lock .
    Cheers Trev.
    A fixed dish is certainly a lot easier to align, but you still need to follow the process of being able to 'see' signals on a display of some sort (either sat meter or decoder and screen).

The cheap sat meters only indicate that it is seeing some sort of signal. They don't identify the satellite you think you may be pointing at, so it's common it may be a signal from a different satellite.

You need a meter that displays signal quality as well as signal strength. There's several of them around and caravaners etc often use them when travelling to get the FTA channels.

Shrek2 (20-10-19)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek2 View Post
    Sorry forgot one more thing is it ok to receive HD?
    Yes, including HD.

Shrek2 (20-10-19)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

I have the Prof SF-500, you can get them for ~$80 from China & input all the relevant local Sat data yourself or buy an OZ version for ~$150 with local Sats already listed in menu.

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Shrek2 (18-10-19)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

trev there seems that you may have lost one side of the coax to corrosion on a connection with 13v/18v difference but thats not too great so next step is to inspect the coax and the f-type plugs .The sat finders are all about the same quality so any one will do , I like the adjustable ones with a noise / screamer so you dont have to be watching the needle to get to max point . the other thing i have come across is the mounting pole is no longer level so the adjustments are wrong as the whole pole has moved in the ground hard to figure out why but it does happen Had this happen on a regular occasion as the lawnmower contractor banged into the pole with his ride-on then i get a call that nite , lol . Don
    Last edited by hinekadon; 18-10-19 at 11:27 AM. Reason: spelling

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

Shrek2 (20-10-19)

Thanks

I think I know the problem

The Cambodian channel changed paramaters last week.

if these were the channels
    CTN (Cambodia)
    CNC
    My TV

If your receiver has a blindscan option use it if you think your are back on the satellite

but the other thing to know is, these channel encrypt to BISS mode during live EPL matches. So during matches you will get a black screen for a while the $ sign may show.
    Last edited by apsattv; 18-10-19 at 06:23 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to apsattv For This Useful Post:

Shrek2 (18-10-19)

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast