Thread: Home address proxy

Thanks

Default Home address proxy

Hi All

does anyone know if it is possible to get a type of proxy street address type thing?

I am a Queensland resident and i am temporarily wanting a NSW street address for about 6 months.

are there services where you can pay a fee and you get a type of mail forwarding address type thing where mail can be sent and relayed to the correct address?

I am wanting to temporarily transfer my Drivers licence to NSW

Regards

Barry

Look Here ->
    Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Aus Post has a redirection service that you can choose the length of time mail is redirected to another address for.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

Have you got a mate in NSW?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

To get an Aust Post mail redirection you have to show proof that you live at the address mail is being forwarded from.

Eg: A utility bill in your name, driver licence, with the address shown, etc.

There's no such thing as a 'temporary' transfer of licence to a different state, however, you can use your QLD in NSW for up to 3 months.

From the NSW RMS website: "If you’re moving to NSW from another part of Australia or another country, you’ll need to get a NSW driver or rider licence. You can use your existing licence for up to three months, but after that you must have a NSW licence."

You actually need to reside at the address in NSW you list on your driver licence as there are cross-checks made with other government departments, ATO etc to match details.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Not much point these f as ys as demerit points are national now, as are licences.....

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    Not much point these f as ys as demerit points are national now, as are licences.....
    Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    no licences are not national. and to clarify this has nothing to do with demerit points.

The reason i want to do this is because most australian states you do not need to have a special licence to drive a manual. if a QLD licence that is a CA open licence gets transferred to a NSW licence you get an open licence without the automatic rating because that only exists on a provisional licence. when transferring it back to QLD you will get like for like. NSW does not have CA so you will get a C class licence.

I have both an automatic car and a manual and i have about 20 years experience in the auto and i can drive the manual well too ( up until now i have been only using the manual when i have been driving the vehicle with another driver. This is inconvenient)

I attempted to go through a driving school however the instructors car was a piece of garbage and the clutch felt worn out. and some of the things i was being told simply where incorrect (eg you dont need to indicate right on a round about when entering the round about only indicate left when exiting. this is wrong and dangerous. if you are turning left at a round about you must indicate left. if going through you must indicate left upon exiting. if you are turning right you must indicate right until you are at your exit then indicate left to exit)

the whole going though a driving school for 10 lessons then going to a driving test is pointless. i can understand if they look at the gears thats fine but seeing if i can reverse park or how i can drive with other points is pointless because when i finish all and all i turn around and pull out my automatic licence to continue driving. I cant loose my existing licence for failing the full blown driving test. so for me that tells me its about the money not testing if i can actually do it.

when i was driving the lesson i was told there is nothing really wrong with the way i was using the gears or the clutch.

This is why i want to do the transfer. not because i am trying write off demerit points, i am trying to get around inconvenient and pointless beurocrocy that serves no useful purpose in the long run.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

To transfer from QLD to NSW you will need a confirmed residential address in NSW. You will also need to declare that you reside there permanently and have done so for more than 3 months. The same will apply when you transfer back to QLD.

I do not believe there is a fee going from QLD to NSW (assuming you have a full car licence), but I think there will be going from NSW to QLD.

Apart from proving you live somewhere you don’t, the issue will be the registration details on cars you own. If you tell NSW you have permanently moved from QLD and need a NSW licence, you will likely be directed to transfer your vehicle rego as well. Failure to do so within 14 days means you can be fined.

Transferring your rego to NSW requires obtaining a green slip (CTP insurance), blue slip (roadworthy) and new rego plates for each vehicle, which all cost money. Similar will then apply when you return to QLD.

To me, the hassle of having to show you live in NSW for a set time and costs involved simply aren’t worth the benefit.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

If as you say, you can drive a manual car well, (and know the road rules) then you should have no issue passing a driving test.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Tiny (30-10-19),tristen (25-10-19)