Thread: Cf cards

Thanks

Default Cf cards

so my 11yo 8 gig CF card decided to die just as we are about to go OS, my old EOS DSLR can only accept cards up to 8gig but small capacities like this are now hard to get .
    Of course if i realised this last week i could get one of fleabay, now i have found a seller that has a number of Transcend industrial CF cards at 4gig capacity but i cant find anything online that confirms that these will work in a camera.
    I'm sure they do but i have nothing to substantiate that.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Just be aware not to use any of the later high speed cards as they tend to fail in old cameras.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Just be aware not to use any of the later high speed cards as they tend to fail in old cameras.
    Thanks that's what i was worried about, i have found a local seller that has new 4gig non high speed cards so will grab one tomorrow.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I have a bunch of transcend cards. Had them for years and they have been far more reliable than the sandisk ones I have had.
    That said, I do remembe doing a shoot on a beach and put a 4gb sandisk in my shorts pocket. Later got drenched when I got lower chest deep in the surf. Mrs washed the shorts, tumbled dried them and only discovered the card whenthis funny square appeared when she went to iron them. Time she got the card out it was too hot to touch.
    Never lost a single frame and the card continued to work till it got too small to be worthwhile using any more. Far as I know it's still works, just kicking round the bottom of a bag somewhere.

If you need a new battery for your camera, Don't bother with the canon ones. Numerous times over the years myself and mates have bought a new camera which came with the OEM battery and within a week or 2 bought No names. Every time the No names outlast the OEMs both in terms of performance and over all longevity. The canons die pretty damn quick in comparison but of course the Hype is anything else will cause your cameras to explode or melt down in a sticky mess. I'd gaurantee between 2 mates and I we have bought 100+ assorted no names and to my knowledge, 4 have been dodgy. The only bad one got was when I bought a dozen knockouts some years back one was a dud. Emailed the seller and got 2 as replacements for my trouble . Still using all those batteries and they are about 3 Bodies back now. One mate bought a batch of 50 and he got 2 Duds. Werent' really bad, just fell over a lot quicker than the others but still worked for a thousand shots + at a go.

Also don't buy OEM Grips or Flashes. Just bought another Godox V860II and the pro controller. Love the things and they are less than half the price of anything canon and far better featured. Also have the 360 Flash with the external power pack and love that thing as well. Monoblock flash power on top of your camera or portable on a stand. Thing lasts forever as well. Don't really bother with mains flashes now. The portables have so much grunt and with the Liion batterys last forever as well. The beauty with the controllers is you can turn the power up or down from the camera instead of having to run over to them all the time. Still learning about that a bit but works pretty good so far although the capability's are a bit overboard and confuse simple more every day functions you would normally use.

Camera's are so cheap now I'm in constant amazement. You can get an SLR Kit with a ( crappy) lens for about $600 that is about 90% capable of what a $6000 Pro level slr was 10-12 years ago. Last year when I was in NZ shooting a job, Mate from the US whom I was shooting with got some of his gear held up by a power tripping Customs official. We were short a body so just went to a camera shop in Auckland and bought a .... Something or other ... for about $900. Shot a lot of the job on that and wasn't a problem. Only thing was I noticed, the shutter was a fraction laggy compared to the higher end camera's we normally use but that wasn't very difficult to adapt to. If one were shooting anything else that wasn't as fast moving and split second timing, you would probably never notice.

Not expensive to update the body and what you save on that you can put into better glass that will last decades and many body updates if you need them.

The other thing that also amazes me is how Cheap memory cards are now. I remember the first CF card I ever bought was an 8Mb. It cost me over $300. Well heeled mate bought a 16Mb card and that was almost $500. Last cards I bought were a bunch of 32, 64 Gb and some 128 Gb. They are all so cheap now I'm using the 32's as one shots for Important pics I want to back up. I think I paid about $12 ea for them so not worth re using. I just mark them and put them in the filing cabinet for back up. I have CF cards going back to 2003 that still have perfect images on them.
    The 128"s I got were about $40 from memory. I have over 8000 21 Mp images on one now plus some short vids and the camera still reads 1999 Pics left.

When I think back about when I stopped using Film in 2001, a Roll of 220 VPS was about $60 a pro pack. Just to get 5x5 First run proofs was about $40 a roll which was 24 frames. Using $12 cards once I get over 2000 pics out of is a bargain.

Sure has got cheap now.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I've purchased numerous CF & SD cards from this mob over the years.

Always had excellent service from them.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

tristen (06-11-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    I've purchased numerous CF & SD cards from this mob over the years.

Always had excellent service from them.

If time was on my side i would purchase from them, got a 4gig card today so all set for my South Pacific cruise tomorrow