Thread: Uec dsd 4121 rv

Thanks

Default Uec dsd 4121 rv

I have a UEC DSD 4121 RV satellite receiver which comes up with "dL" when powered on. If you turn it off then on again the screen remains blank unless you wait a half hour before turning it on again.
    It is a 12 volt model with external power supply. There is one main board in the case with the card reader and front panel connected by plugs.
    One capacitor, C27, came off when cleaning the board but replacing it has had no effect. I was not rough in any way, just bad soldering and lucky to last as long as it did.
    Has anyone experienced a similar problem and found a solution. I am hoping I only need to replace a few more capacitors but don't really want to replace them all. Pictures with previous offending components would be a god send.
    Thank you.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Possible firmware failed to boot or Corrupt. "dL' decoder loading

Can you update the Firmware manually ??..

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

There are several threads in this section detailing faults and fixes of the UEC DSD 4121.

Most involve capacitors, mostly electrolytics, but also some SMD types, also resistors.

I don't have time to locate them for you... so read through this section.

Someone may have time to post some thread links.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,649 Posts

My 4121 always when first powered up has 'dL' closely followed by a 1' with circular motion next to it, closely followed by 'boot', then the time, then 'scan', then the time again. At which point it's ready to go, unless it's been off for a long period, then I have to go online & put in the card number & give it a hit to get pictures.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

The existing threads about replacing various components all refer to units that have different main boards to mine, I did look before posting. I will try plugging in a USB thumb drive with firmware loaded but unfortunately the box has now failed to the point where nothing comes up on the panel anymore, not even the “dL”. I started changing capacitors, I must have upset the box even more when doing this, might be past it.
    Last edited by EKGEKH; 10-11-19 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Correcting my bad grammar

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EKGEKH View Post
    The existing threads about replacing various components all refer to units that have different main boards to mine,
    I thought only the power supplies were different.

I'd be replacing all the electros and be looking for the SMD caps and resistors in the sections of the main board... I doubt they are that different.

Have you checked voltages out of the power supply?

Thanks

Replace the 12VDC power supply first. These devices fail regularly! Check the DC socket on the mainboard. Replace the 470uf filter cap (there is plenty of space for a 2200uf 25VDC. Hope this helps.

Thanks

So I have the "dL" back, it takes a bit longer than half an hour with the power off before it will come up again.
    I have 12V, 5.2V and 3.3V on the board and have tried with two different power adapters.
    I cannot load any firmware as the box doesn't get past "dL".
    There is no output from the box to the TV.
    I have added a few pictures to show that the board in my box is not the same as other posts refer to.
    The electrolytic capacitors on legs in the picture are ones that I have substituted for SMC caps but I am not going to continue down the path of changing them all.

Last edited by EKGEKH; 13-11-19 at 12:41 PM. Reason: clarity

Thanks

I left the power on all day and was out for hours. When I came back, the satellite receiver was working, just needed a rehit on the card.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EKGEKH View Post
    I left the power on all day and was out for hours. When I came back, the satellite receiver was working, just needed a rehit on the card.
    Book mark this
    & have your smart card number on a text doc/sticky note of some sort, then just copy paste & wait 30 seconds.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Thanks

I meant that the box had started to work, not that it needed a rehit to work. After it finally made it past the dreaded “dL” and booted, it then just needed to be rehit.

Administrator
    Thanks

If you hadn't had the box powered and turned on for some time prior, the dL may also have indicated it was downloading a firmware update.

Hopefully, it stays working for you.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    If you hadn't had the box powered and turned on for some time prior, the dL may also have indicated it was downloading a firmware update.

Hopefully, it stays working for you.
    Nah, both my UEC's do the dL every time they have been turned of at the power point, even if only for a few seconds.

Firmware updates are indicated in the main menu when available, you actually have to look for them.
    Cheers, Tiny