Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2019 NSW Fires

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Funny, all my links are on Channel 7
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I thought Q&A was an ABC garbage product?

Thanks

I got word today that a mate and his wife up towards the Border lost their home in the fires.

Haven't been able to get onto him for a couple of weeks and was worried. They were where there were around 100 Homes lost , 94 were on their road apparently. I was looking on the fire maps and knew it was all around them but hoped they were OK. I'm really gutted for them.

Mate hurt his hand badly in a car accident that wasn't his fault over 2 years ago. lost his Job and the insurance put him through hell. They had bugger all to live on for a long time. Finally got a payout earlier this year and had his hand operated on to get it back to about 80% usefulness. No sooner had he came out of hospital and his wife got crook and had to go in for major surgery. He was trying to look after them both and as soon as they got OK, a neighbour was diagnosed with the final stages of cancer he never knew he had so they were both trying to look after him having no family.

The last message I got from him a few weeks ago was he was worried about if a fire came because the council had been fining people for trying to clear their land. He'd done a bit but suspected they were using aerial Surveillance or satellite pics as other people around had been copped. I hope he can sue their arses off but will probably take years even if it's possible and doesn't bring back all they have lost. Apparently they had to literally drive through fire to get out and didn't think they were going to make it. He just bought himself an older Hilux after only having a very small car for some time as it was all they could afford and the thing probably saved their lives. Typically, mate has been out every day helping people with generators and pumps as he's great with engines and mechanical as well as electrical and no doubt doing things he shouldn't be in his own less than perfect health helping others.

Got a message relayed through someone else with his Mrs new mobile number but haven't rung as yet for the simple reason I don't know what to say. I'm just gutted for them. After all they have been through in the last 12 months let alone 2 years and now this. Fk me life is unfair.
    I'll stop being a chicken shit and give her a ring in the morning. She is staying somewhere and he's been out everywhere he's been needed apparently.

I guess I should be positive and I am thankful they are oK but at the same time, I can't Imagine what they have and are going through. They are good people that deserve so much better.
    Also the second lot of people I know that have been wiped out by bushfire. They are not young and to have to start again, doesn't bear thinking about. I guess there are worse things but geez this is right up there.

The other news of the day was a very old friend is in a very bad way with cancer. Her husband thinks it's unlikely she will see Christmas. She has had it 12 Months and was going OK but suddenly things went real bad real fast.

And people tell me to stop being a pessimist and look on the bright side of life. When I fking find it, I'll let them know!

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (03-12-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

What the f*ck do you do?

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

I wonder if the Counselling will help? It may well just provide these kids with something the parents missed. I don't know but I have a feeling that it would probably do them more good than going through a court process where they might take away it's no big deal and having experienced it, are not afraid of it.

As a Kid I liked fires. Got in trouble a bit at home for lighting fires down behind the shed where I couldn't bee seen but left the evidence. Lighting fires at home was not allowed but I still did it knowing I'd get a belting for it. My Grandfather took a different approach. I could light a fire anytime I wanted as long as it wasn't a fire ban or whatever. I would go and rake up the sticks and leaves out the front and/ or go clean up his wood working garage. I could set the fire up then go get him and he'd come out and supervise and make sure everything was OK. I'd have to have the garden hose at the ready and have wet down everything around. He didn't deter me but rather taught me how to do it right and be responsible. I think that's what a lot of people miss, they don't understand properly how fire works, what it can do or recognise the dangers of particular situations.

I still like fires but I spose it's fair to say they do scare me in the realisation of the potential they hold. I have never had one get away on me and intend that I never will even if I am over cautious. Rather be too careful than not enough. Don't want to be like my fathers idiot Neighbour that has had 4 get away on him so far. He's been warned that if he lets another get away, he won't like the consequences. How the Fk someone can light a fire in an area of bush then walk away from it astounds me. To make the mistake once is bad enough, to keep doing it and ignore the danger needs a kick up the arse at a minimum and locked up from there.

Lets hope this works out for these kids and Puts them on the right road rather than gives them a criminal grounding. I think a lot will come from the parents as well. If they put it on these kids that they have committed a grave offence, it might work. If they make light of it, the kids are fked from the start.
    Always put plenty of weight on anything my kids did wrong, not that there was much but they knew whatever anyone else did to them was nothing compared to the shit storm that was waiting for them at home.

Maybe why that's why they never had anything to do with the police.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    What the f*ck do you do?

You chain them out the front of the local CFA ......
    And let them experience what people think of them.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Depends upon the attitude of the kids when they get caught. If it's a F.U. type of thought, take them out the back and flog the crap out of 'em. If it's a sheepish, "F. I've been caught, what will mum and dad say" take 'em out to clean up after the fires have been through.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (04-12-19)

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123