Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 NSW Fires

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post

In bushfire prone areas you can remove trees up to 10 metres from your structures, and remove all ground matter up to 50 metres.
    10 meters... Oh wow! That will make all the fking difference won't it? I heard them talking yesterday about embers traveling several and that's to say nothing of the radiant heat. I was a couple of KM away from the ash Wednesday fires and you could still feel the heat BURNING. The difference 10 M would make to a decent fire would be ZERO!

If you had ever really been in the bush where there is KM's of bush on fire with a wind behind it and the trees are all 30 M high You'd know that you may as well stand there and piss on it as it comes towards you for all the good 10M clearing is going to do! Id say 50M would be on the thin end and 100M would be getting to the useful distance.

Look at the people at Turramurra yesterday. They have no option to clear because it's national park to their back fences. Exactly what I was talking about earlier. Not their property, they can't touch it and national parks leftie management sure as hell won't.
    Anyone that thinks a clearing of 10M of trees is going to be any good is ignorant, a fool or both.

I helped Fight a small fire a few years back at a mates place on the edge of Sydney. Trees were at least 50M from the house ( after a shit load of arguing with the council) but the Fire got up into them.
    We had a couple of good fire pumps and a pool full of water but backed up against the house the heat was more than we could stand. Luckily he was prepared and had a sprinkler system that was run by batteries on the roof of the house and at the back under the eaves and that was probably what stopped it getting cooked and catching.

The ONLY reason he was allowed to clear the trees he did was after getting numerous rejections from the council, a fire chief Neighbour wrote him an order saying the were a hazard and had to be removed effectively over riding the council.

‘Greenies’ have a lot to answer for regarding bush management, but anyone claiming councils are still out fining people who clear land in accordance with the rules in bushfire prone areas are sprouting BS.
    Really?
    Like to put money on that? Be glad to get the rejected applications off another mate where he has applied in the last 12 months to knock trees over and been refused. Applications had pics and measurements . One was within a few meters of the place. Sadly though, the things " Fell over" in the winds we had a couple of months back. Lucky one didn't fall on the house but the rope he chained it to the excavator with as a "Precaution" probably helped that. SO lucky he owns a big excavator and he was able to clean them all up with it including the one that fell over further down his street blocking the road. SES wouldn't even attempt to do anything with it till mate came along and dragged it off the road.
    Council took ages to get to all the others that fell across roads and in parks round here.

People need to take responsibility for where they live and not blame others. If you choose to live in a bushfire prone area, choose not to clear your land, and choose to not be fully prepared then you have made choices that may result in loss of your structures, property and your life.
    Correct.
    But what about when you CAN"T clear someone else's land like national parks and wild life and they won't do it or allow you to either? What about them taking responsibility for that?
    You'd need a wall of 4" fire hoses right along your fence to have a hope of saving your place the way some of these people are situated that they can't do anything about.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (13-11-19),Tiny (13-11-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

I see they caught a couple of firebugs today. I read somewhere that they were running one down using a Blackhawk....

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (16-11-19),hinekadon (15-11-19),ol' boy (14-11-19),Tiny (14-11-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I see the USA are sending over a Douglas DC-10 aircraft fitted out for a water bombing
    It is to be leased until the end of the fire season

Speaks volumes for the prediction of rain
    Hopefully soon there will be enough wind changes it will just burn back onto already burnt ground and run out of fuel

Last edited by ol' boy; 14-11-19 at 04:05 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

eaglem (16-11-19),hinekadon (15-11-19),VroomVroom (15-11-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    I see the USA are sending over a Douglas DC-10 aircraft fitted out for a water bombing
    It is to be leased until the end of the fire season
    Fire fighters/authorities have been ignored about the upcoming crisis and requests to lease those aircraft for months by the ScoMo hypocrites:

BTW this is from a fairly right wing rag that strongly supports the Nationals.

Hopefully soon there will be enough wind changes it will just burn back onto already burnt ground and run out of fuel
    That is not how it works. Gusty wind from any direction will flare up the fires and start new spot fires. This is expected on the coming weekend, with increasing temperature
    The only thing that would help is no wind for a very long time, as rain might not be expected until February.

Today was no wind at all which is great, giving the fireys a break but on the flip side all the smoke is hanging here like thick fog as nothing will blow it away.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 14-11-19 at 05:34 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (15-11-19),ol' boy (14-11-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

WTF.... Just watch the first 2min of this
    And you will clearly see what's wrong with this country!

Emergency Service workers are now women bashers!

0:40 to 1:40 is all u need to watch
    While i appreciate service men and women must come home very tired, this is a pretty uncalled for thing to be saying.

Last edited by ol' boy; 14-11-19 at 05:02 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (14-11-19),hinekadon (15-11-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Womyn will be (are) the downfall of western civilization

• The Following User Says Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

Jma (14-11-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Makes you wonder how hard it will be to keep track on confirmed supply of water.

Apart from ensuring a truck has 1-2 safety routes out when fighting fires, another concern is the route to the next water supply, will there be enough and how far away it is.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Super Moderator
    Thanks

While i appreciate service men and women must come home very tired, this is a pretty uncalled for thing to be saying.

The woman behind her is Greens senator Larissa Waters. Like I said before, bottom feeders......the researchers the leso refers to say their study indicates NOTHING OF THE SORT....

And the bottom feeders have been attempting to distance themselves from this all day after complete condemnation from just about everyone, including both the Coalition and ALP....ANYONE who votes Green has a screw loose.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (16-11-19),george65 (17-11-19),hinekadon (15-11-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    In NSW there is the 10/50 clearing rule. In bushfire prone areas you can remove trees up to 10 metres from your structures, and remove all ground matter up to 50 metres.

‘Greenies’ have a lot to answer for regarding bush management, but anyone claiming councils are still out fining people who clear land in accordance with the rules in bushfire prone areas are sprouting BS.

People need to take responsibility for where they live and not blame others. If you choose to live in a bushfire prone area, choose not to clear your land, and choose to not be fully prepared then you have made choices that may result in loss of your structures, property and your life.
    An interesting story

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (15-11-19)

Thanks

Just got back from a 24 Hour trip to taree and back to check on my father. Fk me.
    As I said years ago with the ash wednesday fires, one thing to see it on TV, another to see it in the flesh.

Going up there last night was something I think we'll all remember. The smoke from the inversion layer of cold air was so think it hurt our throats and eyes and this was the smoke that was hanging around for what must have been Hundereds of Sq KM given how far we drove in it. Didn't see a flame or an ember but the further north we got, the worse the smoke.
    Shining a torch was like shining a Light sabre... even inside the house. The erriness of the smoke in the streetlights was like a fog that was sinister and smelt strongly. We did see a Fainet glow of the fire still at Hillsville when we got up to that area and even driving well into the night the damage to the bush and about 100 road signs we saw was very evident.

Going down the road from Dads place this morning into town showed just how close the fires got. Thankfully the smoke had lifted and it was relatively clear. Dad said he saw the smoke last night about an hour before we arrived which seemed to be no different and said it was one of the better days. The worst one he couldn't see the shed from the house, a distance of -maybe- 50M.
    We went past the old place that got burnt down up the road. The colour bond shed out the back seemed untouched. only thing standing of the house was the brick chimney and some twisted roofing iron. The fire had been everywhere. along the dividing mature strip in the road, along footpaths and for miles up old bar road.... and we didn't even see it all.
    To think of the wildlife wiped out is heartbreaking.

Today while in the supermarket, Dad spotted the Mayor of Taree, a guy he has been friends with for years. Seemed a very frustrated man. Apparently has been trying to get the army in with all their equipment to cut fire breaks and fight fires with the appliances they have but in his words, all they have been prepared to do is make sandwiches.
    Was also critical of the SES. Apparently they have a lot of control of the fire fighting efforts. He was telling Dad about a guy out of town that has a big dozer. With the fire coming he started Pushing a big break between the scrub and the houses that backed onto it. He said he saved at least 4 Houses and was going flat out to keep the fire from more but the SES turned up and made him stop because "he was endangering his life." Apparently by this stage he was ahead of the fire and in no direct danger with no fire near him but they Threatened to have him arrested if he continued. There were a couple of other stories like that where authourities interfered with people doing things to protect themselves and with knowledge and ability to get to their own self made safety areas but were stopped helping themselves and others. Incredible but definitely true.

There were a few other things he told dad probably best not repeated but clearly this guy is Kick arse rather than Candy arsed and was a man very frustrated on a Number of levels.
    From what he said having lived in the area his whole life, they would do well to put him in charge of things in the area rather than anyone else. Even in times of desperation, it seems the OH&S safety sissy mentality rules supreme. Not over anyone actually being in danger or endangering others but more of the " You might break a fingernail so can't have you doing that" type mentality.

I had to admire and laugh at my father. He had a bag packed in case he had to go. The twin Turbo merc was not his getaway vehicle, nor his highly Modified XV, he had the The RTV Kubota 4WD tipper and his beloved tractor at the ready. The tractor would have probably been the most likely to go but the Kubota was in a safer spot but fuelled up as an alternative.
    He figured the tractor as he could doze his way through a fire and the merc and everything else is insured so he though stuff them, I can get replacements but they don't make anything like his beloved 40 Yo Iseki tractor.

He had it figured which way he could go on that in all directions and reasoned Fences and fallen trees etc wouldn't stop him with that as the only way out in anything else would be the road.

I noticed he had been clearing more of his land along the sides to separate himself from the shitfight which is the neighbours land. Seeing how high the piles are of what he has cleaned up and the relatively small area he has done really gives a good practical visualisation of what they are talking about when they mention the fuel load on the ground. I'd guess he has cleared maybe 2-3 acres down the bottom and we are only talking scrub, all the decent trees are still there and the pile is as High as he can bush up with the bucket on the tractor and easily 100M long and 6-8 M wide. It's a BIG pile. He said when it rains he'll divide it up a bit and burn it progressively. Looks like it will take weeks to get through it all.

The other thing we saw when going to look at a house my Daughter was interested in buying was about half a dozen herds of cattle. All being fed hay but all of their ribs clearly visible and looking gaunt and skinny. Where we were there was a number of paddocks being irrigated from the river obviously to get the feed up to let the cattle in there but the river is a very thin strip and every dam we saw was at best a bog and many didn't even have that much moisture. There must be a LOAD of farmers doing it very hard. Dad said there is a big auction up there next week and it will be in every sense a Fire sale.

Seeing how much drier it has got since I was up there a month ago was horrifying. Even the lawn is dead to the point where its not brown, the grass is gone and it's just mainly bare dirt. Dad said he was watering it but it was going backwards before his eyes so he gave up. You can well see how even a spark could get a fire going real fast. We went down to the dam and were amazed that it has dropped a metre and he hasn't taken anything out of it.

There is just no overestimating the catastrophe it is up there and I don't think it's even the worst part. I think further north around port and closer to the border is worse still. Saw the fire damaged bit of the pacific Highway. Not even a 100M section closed off but looking at it, You can tell the road itself has been burning. Scary.

It's bloody sobering to see what is going on up there that's for sure.

Waiting to see how many Foreign countries we have helped all chip in to help our needy and affected people. Don't think I'm going to come near needing to take my other hand out my pocket to use those fingers to count on.

• The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (17-11-19),enf (17-11-19),fandtm666 (17-11-19),hinekadon (17-11-19),ol' boy (17-11-19),VroomVroom (18-11-19),william10 (17-11-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

And Southern Victoria is still so wet you can't drive in the paddocks, there is standing water on road sides, everything is vivid green, there is still the odd snow fall in the high country and Christmas is 6 weeks away.
    Just bonkers

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (17-11-19)

Thanks

And Southern Victoria is still so wet you can't drive in the paddocks, there is standing water on road sides, everything is vivid green, there is still the odd snow fall in the high country and Christmas is 6 weeks away.
    Just bonkers
    But wait, isn't GloBULL warming causing the drought that is causing the fires that the gubbermint is not doing enough about to change the weather to stop it happening?

Snow 6 weeks from Christmas??? SHHHH! Those inconvenient details to the whole green religion are hate speech and can't have that now can we?
    Calling fire fighters wife bashers is OK but please don't say anything that does not fit with the PC leftie Green BS they want to insult your intelligence with.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

enf (17-11-19),hinekadon (17-11-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

Please, can we leave the politics to another thread. This one is, at least, keeping us abreast of events where many of our online friends live, yourself included.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Very Interested watch

Last edited by ol' boy; 19-11-19 at 06:44 AM.

Thanks

Very Interested watch

Yeah Right.

Lets do a bit more digging into these guys and lets see what associations and movements they are associated with, whom is paying them for what and check out the financial interests they have.

1000 Bucks says they have some vested interest somewhere we are not being told about that is the real motivation for their " Concerns". Whenever you see the green PC religion come out, just follow the money trail back to the source to get the real truth behind it.

Would guarantee there is some weather change Globull BS paying them indirectly or otherwise to all be getting together for this press conference. And you can bet each and every one of them from out of state Flew in for the conference and they all had a steak dinner that night which they arrived at in fossil fuelled cars.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (19-11-19),enf (19-11-19),Jma (19-11-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

george65 (20-11-19),hinekadon (20-11-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Seems there has been a retort and a statemant from the actual people that did the so called study

Massive Language warning.... Issac gets a bit heated

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (27-11-19),hinekadon (27-11-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

He's saying to F*** both of those females that have made those stupid comments. Even a blind man wouldn't want to F*** either of those broads. Why were they given any air time at all?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (27-11-19),VroomVroom (27-11-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    He's saying to F*** both of those females that have made those stupid comments. Even a blind man wouldn't want to F*** either of those broads.
    My son watched some of that live. He mumbled under his breath at the time that that English woman was as safe as houses.

Why were they given any air time at all?
    Ummmm....the ABC?

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (27-11-19),george65 (27-11-19),hinekadon (27-11-19)

Thanks

Why were they given any air time at all?
    Because the station that gave them the air time which is supposed to serve the interests of the Australian people is hell bent on pissing the mainstream population off and pandering to every lefty nutter fringe interest out there.

Probably all a stunt. Look how much media and attention this garbage got them. I don't know who watches the ABC any more but it certainly got them some ink and electrons devoted to their otherwise irrelevant and pointless station.

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast