Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 NSW Fires

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default 2019 NSW Fires

Obviously this doesn't need a thread, it's on every news outlet
    Seems NSW has been on fire for over a month now, but the last 24hours have been madness.

Hope no members are effected

150 Homes gone
    2 Lives lost
    35 Injured

The speed and size of the fire front seems to be catching out those with previous fire experience.
    So hard to imagine as southern Victoria just had 30mm of rain and snow falls.
    I seem to remember similar weather the last 2 years around this time

A guy that was interviewed today after saving his farm house said fire fighting should be taught in all schools in Australia
    I thought that was a really good idea and something i'd never heard before

Last edited by ol' boy; 09-11-19 at 08:14 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

David071 (09-11-19),eaglem (10-11-19),gulliver (10-11-19),hinekadon (09-11-19),lsemmens (10-11-19),VroomVroom (11-11-19)

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post

A guy that was interviewed today after saving his farm house said fire fighting should be taught in all schools in Australia
    I thought that was a really good idea and something i'd never heard before .
    It's a bloody great idea but the trouble is now schools are teaching kids they can be Jack one day and Jacqueline the next and giving them time off for weather emergency bullshits and to go on protests about a president of another country!

I think ALL kids should be made to attend some sort of Bush and practical school for a month where they teach them about the land and basic practical life skills like how to change a Tyre on a car or apply for a loan or fill out a rental agreement and tax form.

God forbid we fill their heads with that sort of useful knowledge. The whining lefites would have a fit over that because next thing you know, Kids would be learning how to apply critical thinking to things and they wouldn't want that!

I think the gauge of really significant bushfires is if NZ get the smoke and ashes.
    When charred Gum leaves are falling in Queen street in Auckland and visibility at the airport is severely limited, You know we have had someone's BBQ really get a bit out of hand here.

I can't Imagine what people whom have lost their homes and all their possessions are going through BUT I know how the people whom have lost loved ones feel and I guess they wish they were lucky enough only to loose material possessions. I'm sure we will be Inundated by donations from all the countries we have helped with their disasters like Indonesia and many others for our people to rebuild. NOT!!

All these do gooders that won't allow back burning which makes the compounded fuel load the reason these fires get so out of hand ought to loose every damn thing they own to compensate the people that have suffered because of their idiotic stupidity.

Wonder what the Co2 footprint of all these Fires are?
    A lot more than fking Greta Dumbird and her sheeple followers are ever going to save in her life not flying or eating meat I'll bet.
    How dare the Bush burn like that!

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (10-11-19),eaglem (10-11-19),enf (10-11-19),hinekadon (10-11-19),VroomVroom (11-11-19),Xplorer (10-11-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I agree fire-fighting and first aid should be a required part of the curriculum. Excursions to bushfire ravaged areas, should be mandatory, as should visits to our food production areas, make 'em watch farmers cry as they have to euthanase animals burnt as a result of such madness. You get the picture.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

gulliver (10-11-19),Xplorer (10-11-19)

Thanks

Managed to get onto my father this morning.
    Land lines have been out for days due to fires where he is but for once, he remembered to take his mobile with him when he went out. Got into town to do his shopping which takes him well less than an hour and couldn't get back home due to every road in being closed as well as the highway.

I told him to go back to the local club which I saw on the RFS site has been set up as an evacuation centre. He was pissed because they couldn't tell him how long the road will be closed and he's not happy about the idea of his Frozen food thawing and milk going off. Least I know he's safe now.

He said the fires have burnt out a lot of area around him the last couple of days but thinks there must have been a flare up or something. There were big fires at the back of him last summer so I guess there shouldn't be a lot to worry about from that direction.

He recently had some BIG trees taken out near the house. Plenty of scrub down the back but he has also been thinning that out a lot over the winter. I think he'll be OK but if the idiot Neighbour's place next door gets a spark in it, could take out the 4 houses on the block. Land owners are supposed to keep their property's in check but pissweak councils with greenie BS concerns never enforce it. Not like there is a shortage of trees up there, that's the damn problem!

Hopefully some spoiled Grocerys will be the sum total of the damage when he gets back home.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (10-11-19),Xplorer (10-11-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

As one of the older surviving males interviewed on TV when trying to save his property said, "the greenies will have a lot to answer for".
    And yes, god forbid schools teach what they should be teaching; ABC report this week will be interesting on teachers and schools lack of teaching the basics.

As much as its very sad seeing what everyone is going through up there, I feel for the emergency service personnel (paid and unpaid) and the sheer frightening situations they are going through to save lives and property.
    They really are the unsung heros going into battle when others are running away from it.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xplorer For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (11-11-19),lsemmens (10-11-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    Managed to get onto my father this morning.
    Land lines have been out for days due to fires where he is but for once, he remembered to take his mobile with him when he went out. Got into town to do his shopping which takes him well less than an hour and couldn't get back home due to every road in being closed as well as the highway.

I told him to go back to the local club which I saw on the RFS site has been set up as an evacuation centre. He was pissed because they couldn't tell him how long the road will be closed and he's not happy about the idea of his Frozen food thawing and milk going off. Least I know he's safe now.

He said the fires have burnt out a lot of area around him the last couple of days but thinks there must have been a flare up or something. There were big fires at the back of him last summer so I guess there shouldn't be a lot to worry about from that direction.

He recently had some BIG trees taken out near the house. Plenty of scrub down the back but he has also been thinning that out a lot over the winter. I think he'll be OK but if the idiot Neighbour's place next door gets a spark in it, could take out the 4 houses on the block. Land owners are supposed to keep their property's in check but pissweak councils with greenie BS concerns never enforce it. Not like there is a shortage of trees up there, that's the damn problem!

Hopefully some spoiled Grocerys will be the sum total of the damage when he gets back home.
    We all can only hope for mild temperatures, wind drop and soaking rain. Hope his groceries going off is his only drama.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xplorer For This Useful Post:

enf (10-11-19),hinekadon (11-11-19)

Thanks

Rang him a short time ago and they just let him back home. Camped out at the club all day and they put his perishables in the fridge and freezer for him so not even any lost food.
    Got to see the PM in the flesh as well so now he has been in the same room as someone famous. He was lucky. The fire was less than a KM from him on all sides. Only the neighbour to worry about now, everything else is cleaned out. An old house down the road got burnt down but no one has lived in it for years apparently.

They are saying tuesday will be bad. I can only image what that will be like if things up to now have not been by relevant standards.

It's hard enough to get a tradie up there at the best of times. They have enough work to pick and choose as it is. It will take people years to get new homes and sheds built in a lot of these areas.

While they are fixing the education system they should cut back severely on the number of arts degrees and law student intakes and open up more positions in TAFE to qualify people in useful trades.

Saw lots of pictures of water bombing aircraft on the news and only having seen one decent Bushfire in the flesh, can't help but wonder if they may as well just piss on it?
    Seems another unstoppable force of nature.
    Maybe that's why on the news they always show the water drop but always cut to something else before you see what it actually does. Or does not?

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (11-11-19),lsemmens (10-11-19),Xplorer (14-11-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Saw lots of pictures of water bombing aircraft on the news and only having seen one decent Bushfire in the flesh, can't help but wonder if they may as well just piss on it?
    Seems another unstoppable force of nature.
    Maybe that's why on the news they always show the water drop but always cut to something else before you see what it actually does. Or does not?
    Aerial Water Bombing does an amazing job, it has totally changed how the RFS and CFA now conduct thier ground crews on the fireground.
    1 Helicopter water bomber is more effective than 5 ground crew and 2 Trucks when it comes to protecting an asset (House, Business, Communications etc)

It's all relative to the job they are doing
    Stopping a raging fire front.... Yup, near useless

Spot protecting homes, farms and assets, brilliant!!!!

In the Wye River Christmas Fires they showed footage of the Choppers dumping on flames just as they reached homes and in one drop they extinguished the threat in its tracks.
    They can get the water where ground crews can't
    Especially as conduct with human life is now very different to 25 years ago
    CFA and RFS is biggest problem is unsafe trees, dead end roads and streets and locations with only potential entry point.
    They just can't and don't send ground crews to so many locations nowadays.... This is exactly where the Aerial Bombing comes to the fore.

I have often wondered how effective the plane bombing of fire retardent is though
    They lay that down in the path of the fire front, where it is unburnt.

The next thing i've noticed after being in 3 Bushfires
    Is the Media reporting is anything from 30-40% exaggerated to actual events
    That isn't to be disrespectful to those affected. But seems path of the course... They keep running old footage, pick the worst burnt house to stand in front of, etc.
    It certainly didn't relate to the situations i was in.

All the Bush or Wild fires i've been exposed to and have been ultimately put out by approaching rain fall
    Ash Wednesday, Wye River Christmas Day Fires, St. Patrick Day Fires and a few smaller ones

I can't see much rainfall coming for Northern NSW
    That is where these fires seem to differ from what i've witnessed in the passed.

The video in this link, from 2:30 on explains what happens:
    Last edited by ol' boy; 11-11-19 at 12:28 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (11-11-19)

Thanks

All the Bush or Wild fires i've been exposed to and have been ultimately put out by approaching rain fall
    Ash Wednesday, Wye River Christmas Day Fires, St. Patrick Day Fires and a few smaller ones

I can't see much rainfall coming for Northern NSW
    It has also been my observation that the ultimate end to big fires is rain. Knowing how tinder dry everything is on the Mid north coast and no rain is sight is very scary indeed. They are saying they have been fighting some fires for months which shows how bad the Drought is.

Really makes me pissed off when these green leftist retards start blaming climate change for this when their own witch doctors and the biased as all hell University's have been saying drought, storms and fires are a completely irrelevant issue to their imaginary religion in the first place.

Any Numpty blaming the fires on globull warming should be arrested for seeking gain through deception.

I am on acreage and I find the chances of any danger from fire round here very low but I have been out setting up my fire pump and hoses this morning. With the forecast and warnings for tomorrow, I might be panicking if nothing happens but I'll be the smartest and most well prepared fker around if something does.
    I don't see much chance of threat directly from fires but there is a LOT of bush round here, mainly in smaller pockets, some as close as 4 houses away down the street around the creek. I do see there could well be risk from Flying embers. A good spark on the lawn would set it alight atm.

I have enough fire hose to cover all my property and the neighbours either side as well as water and fuel. Might give the house and the shed a wet down in the morning. I try to keep the gutters clean but one good wind and they are full again.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (12-11-19)

Thanks

Been watching these green parasites Di Nutjob and Adumb Bumchum blaming the fires on Globull warming and the PM as well as anyone else whom hasn't lined up for a drink of their Leftie green KoolAide.

Politics is a pretty low game but these attempts at political point scoring while fires are still burning and not even at their predicted peak with so many peoples Lives still under threat is a new and disgusting low. The whole mind numbing absurdity that The PM ( or anyone else) who has been in the chair for 6 months can change not only the weather in oz but the Global weather, would be insanity if the motivation of the statement was not so contemptible and transparent.

These green lowlife pieces of shit have crossed a line in my book and should be removed from any position they have including the local primary school tuck shop committee.
    They insult the whole damn country with such inappropriately timed and selfish statements all designed to steal the limelight off a national disaster and further their own political agendas.
    What a pack of green gutter slime these morons have become. I am ashamed to admit I voted for the greens about 25 years ago but look out if we ever end up in the same place now.

The whole thing of riding on the back of such tradegty is one of the lowest acts by these clowns, some of our so called leaders I have ever seen.
    I think these people need to be very careful where they go in future. I think a LOT of people will remember these comments and the timing and will be only too happy to let these parasites know what they think of them.

How anyone could vote for these disgusting Pieces of shit after this and all their other moronic and contemptible grand standing I don't know but I guess there are a lot of people out there with similar mental illness that desperately need help so they can think rationally and like decent human beings.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Yeah you go for it Geo hooray

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Haven't seen proper sun for weeks now, kind of looks like living on Venus, all yellow but sometimes orange.
    I don't know how many cigarrettes we are now passively smoking as it eventually gets in your house even with the windows shut.
    Schools are closed here, fire is about 20ks away from my residential property but should be safe being east of the pacific highway.
    We are on ember alert ready for spot fires.

I have another property in the bush that does not look so good where it is burning only 10ks away.
    I had felled a lot of trees around the dwelling but there are now big piles of wood and everything was crisp dry when I was there early October.

Disgusted about the budget cuts to the NSW fire services from the Liberal Gov hypocrites, typical, and even more disgusted that the commissioner is covering it up:

I had a look at the budget myself and all up I read they have currently 50million less than last FY!

They are now promising more but that will be too late. We need the firefighters NOW.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 12-11-19 at 10:00 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (13-11-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Geeez nomeat, I think you know how budgets work...FFS. A union complaint??? Theres a shocker.

Theres plenty of "blame" to go around....

Today...........

Even hippies of Nimbin blame greenies

Nimbin environmentalist Michael Balderstone on Monday. Picture: Vanessa Hunter
    Nimbin environmentalist Michael Balderstone on Monday. Picture: Vanessa Hunter
    Graham Lloyd
    ENVIRONMENT EDITOR
    12:00AM November 12, 2019
    290 Comments

The greenies have a lot to answer for over the incendiary state of the Australian bush.

This is the view of Michael Balderstone, hemp candidate, deep environmentalist and leading figure in the Nimbin community, which is now beset by fire.

“They (greenies) own it,” Mr Balderstone said. “The Greens have to cop it on the head, they have been obsessed with no fires and no burning.”

Mr Balderstone says the lessons from indigenous land managers have been forgotten.

“The Aboriginals say it is country gone wild,” he said. “We were just blind to their knowledge.”

The hills of northern NSW are ablaze with an out-of-control bushfire that, with an expected change in wind, could on Tuesday race for the coast near Byron Bay.

Des Layer has for 30 years ridden his horses through hills now being ravaged by fire. For decades he has watched the structure of the bush change from what he says is poor logging and lax management.
    Nimbin resident Des Layer says he has not seen such a large fuel load in the national parks in his 30 years of riding horses in northeast NSW. Picture: Vanessa Hunter
    Nimbin resident Des Layer says he has not seen such a large fuel load in the national parks in his 30 years of riding horses in northeast NSW. Picture: Vanessa Hunter

READ MORE: Greens playing with fire: Coalition, Labor | Greens pour fuel on fires | Greens policies increasing bushfire threat: Joyce | Safety ‘can’t be put on backburner’ | Carbon talk fanciful when jury’s still out on drought | States brace for economic firestorm

Before the area became #national park, Mr Layer said, he would get permits to collect firewood from the state forests. Since the national park was declared there had been no permits issued.

“It has just been building up,” he said.

A generation of locals, raised on forest protest, are being forced to confront some tough truths about forest fuel loads and management. Communities that have been on the frontline to stop logging and expand national parks are seeking refuge as fire threatens to consume their homes.

Protesters Falls near Terania Creek, the site of Australia’s first environmental blockade in #August 1979, is surrounded by an out-of-control blaze in the Nightcap National Park. Tuntable Creek community, a free-spirited community that grew from Nimbin’s counter-culture movement of the 1970s, was one of the first settlements to be evacuated.

Greens leader Richard Di #Natale has blamed climate change for what has been billed as a raging armageddon. But even among hippies bigger questions are being asked about park management and the extraordinary fuel loads that have been allowed to build up for more than a decade.

Poor logging practices have changed the forest’s ability to cope with fire. First the fire-retardant edges were lost and then the high-value canopy trees. With the big trees gone, the #humidity of the forest was reduced, the canopy was opened to allow palms to grow and then drop dead fronds into the undergrowth. Extended dry conditions have resulted in a tinderbox of lantana and weeds in an area that has not seen a significant fire for half a century.

Mr Layer believes the solution should have been selective logging but “you can’t trust these people to go in with chainsaws to do it #sustainably”.

Opinions are mixed about climate change. Some say climate is always changing; others think conditions are worse because of it.

At an emergency information meeting called for Nimbin Hall on Sunday the emphasis was on the task at hand rather than whether the federal government had been doing enough for fire brigades.

For many, Senator Di Natale’s attempts to blame lack of climate change action for the fires is seen as opportunistic and irrational. Climate change is a global problem. Local action on carbon dioxide emissions will not afford regional protection against the weather or fire.

Mr Layer has been taking action for his own property. He has spent winter slashing and cleaning up the property, which has 20 dams. He hopes he’s done enough.
    Having posted that, I wish you the best of luck....the 2003 Canberra fires (500 homes lost) were just as scary.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I see a lot of finger pointing at the Greens not allowing fuel reduction burns
    Which hankers me back to the Canberra Fires, didn't we all learn from that???

I do see the "Damned if you Do, Damned if you Don't" problem here also.
    We used to have a lot of Fuel Reduction burns (25 years ago) that then turned into out of control fires and burnt homes to the ground.
    (It also saw CFA units and personal trapped in burn zones)
    Then the public outcry, the sacking of some Parks Vic senior members in charge
    The knee jerk reaction that then saw no burning off for years (Public Expectation)

Then the cycle starts all over again..... To Burn? Not to Burn? And when they do try and Burn and one gets away it's a PR disaster

I see now in my area, they light smaller strip and checkerboard fires
    But nearer the townships they engage in clearing or mulching of the forest floor with machinery
    But Parks Vic is constantly halted by Collins Street when some uni graduate finds a rare yellow spotted frog in the area
    Next minute, no one can do anything !!!
    Last edited by ol' boy; 12-11-19 at 03:25 PM.

enf (12-11-19)

Thanks

It's not only burning that has been stopped, it's clearing. I have seen denials that hazard reduction has not been impeded but I know for a fact that is a lie.

My father is just outside Taree and I found out that he is still at risk despite the fires around him on Sunday. He and a neighbour had a lot of trees taken out earlier in the year illegally after being denied a permit from the local Council. Dad also had someone come in a clear a lot of over grown scrub he used to clear years ago in his bottom paddock but has since been told he couldn't do any more.
    With the undergrowth getting up to literally 2.5M high, he said Fkit and got it done anyway. at least now it's in a couple of big piles well away from the house and sheds rather than being spread around a wide area that comes much closer to buildings.

Years ago a mate lived in the Sydney Suburb of Padstow on the top of a ridge that backed onto the Georges River. Every year for as long as he had been there, the locals along the strip of houses organised a working bee and spent the weekend clearing the bush back about 20M. One year a local councillor got wind of what they were doing and turned up with the police threatening to have anyone whom harmed the bush which was national park, Arrested. Looked like the cops were after a group of terrorists there were so many and all dressed like commandos as made the front page of the local rag at the time.

6 or 7 Years later, fires did come through and several houses were lost. They successfully sued the council and national parks. For a few years they went back to clearing the strip which was minimal given the location anyway until about 3 years ago the council stopped it again.

I have always criticised people whom let the bush grow up to their fence and in fact over it but I realise it's not always what they want. The council has sent letters to everyone in that street more than once telling them doing any clearing is an offence with a $50K fine and potential jail time.

The effect of all this don't clear, don't burn policy is clear around the whole mind north coast and any environmental " savings" not burning or clearing has made are now well and truly pissed up the wall. I hoee those that have had permits rejected and lost property are able to sue the arse off those responsible.
    These green slimeballs should be held personally responsible and forced to pay compensation out of their own pockets. Loosing their own home through having to sell them would be getting off lightly compared to what others are going through.

I wonder how much Co2 and emissions these fires have released and how long reducing our emissions like the brainwashed cult members want will take to catch it up?
    My guess is it will never happen because there will be more fires as always has been before we we even get close to square one again. Of course then there is the slight matter that even if oz stops all it's emissions totally, it will still have NO effect on the global atmosphere.

Whole thing is a sickening and insulting load of Bullshit.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

I see a lot of finger pointing at the Greens not allowing fuel reduction burns
    Which hankers me back to the Canberra Fires, didn't we all learn from that???

I do see the "Damned if you, Damned if you Don't" problem here also.
    We used to have a lot of Fuel Reduction burns (25 years ago) that then turned into out of control fires and burnt homes to the ground.
    (It also saw CFA units and personal trapped in burn zones)
    Then the public outcry, the sacking of some Parks Vic senior members in charge
    The knee jerk reaction that then saw no burning off for years (Public Expectation)

Then the cycle starts all over again..... To Burn? Not to Burn? And when they do try and Burn and one gets away it's a PR disaster

I see now in my area, they light smaller strip and checkerboard fires
    But nearer the townships they engage in clearing or mulching of the forest floor with machinery
    But Parks Vic is constantly halted by Collins Street when some uni graduate finds a rare yellow spotted frog in the area
    Next minute, no one can do anything !!!
    No ol' boy, nothing seems to have been learned from the Canberra fires. Green religion is green religion and nothing can detract from the mantra....especially with grubby bottom feeders like Bandit and Di Natliar attempting to rouse the ignorant while people die.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

george65 (12-11-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I have always criticised people whom let the bush grow up to their fence and in fact over it but I realise it's not always what they want. The council has sent letters to everyone in that street more than once telling them doing any clearing is an offence with a $50K fine and potential jail time.

Whole thing is a sickening and insulting load of Bullshit.
    Now that is an interesting point
    I once owned 5000m2 block of land with a house on it that abutted the town boundary and bushland.
    Every year, around this time, i'd get a notice to maintain my property

Grass to be cut to 100mm
    excess waste to be burned or stockpiled if fire restrictions had started

But in the same notice, i could not cut down any tree over 1200mm!!!
    There was a $6000 a limb fine! (used to be $6000 a tree, then they made it $6000 a limb)

And they used to enforce it too
    People would cut down a tree to improve thier ocean view and cop the fine on the chin, as thier property value just went up $50K
    Sadly, this fine also affected people just trying to minimise the risk to thier homes from fire.

Then.... Along comes Black Saturday!!!!

1 Month later, all of sudden you can cut down any tree 10meters from your dwelling and 5meters from your boundary (both sides) with no permit needed and no fine could be issued.

FFS.... So many rules, then no rules... change and bullshit
    Yet some poor bloke the year before had to pay the fine! And the year after its all ok......

Before the "per limb" fine
    It was just a fine for cutting a tree down and a "Tree" was once again defined by the 1200mm high rule.
    I crafty businessman in town cut a huge tree down in front of his house and gained a massive ocean view
    The council went him, to which he replied... "I did not cut the tree down as you suggest, i trimmed it to below 1200mm"

Hence in the implication of the limb rule
    Last edited by ol' boy; 12-11-19 at 04:15 PM.

lsemmens (13-11-19)

Thanks

I did much the same thing when I came here.
    Not knowing if any of the neighbours were goody 2 shoes dobbers, I gradually trimmed all the trees till I got to know people around and not hearing any complaints, "Trimmed" them till they were no longer a problem. Waited a few months then got an excavator and I dug what was left out.

I did ask one neighbour I am now very friendly with if he minded me giving a big tree on our fence line a severe haircut. His response was your tree, your property, do what you like mate. That one was the first and largest to go. when it was gone he and the mrs said how much better the place looked and thanked me for getting rid of it. They had complained to the former owner for years about it breaking up their drive way and busting pipes but being a green goober, they would do nothing about it.

There is a place for trees and that is not in surburbia. Saying that, I literally have the biggest tree in the district in my front yard which is registered on some list with the council and is deemed to be at least 450 years old. It's no fire hazard, I spent a few grand having it trimmed so it's no threat to the house but the thing sure does play havoc sucking all the water out of the front yard which kills the lawn and leaves giant cracks in the ground.

No problem with that one but all the rest of the scrubby shit is long gone.

I was only talking to my father about the maintence orders when he had the trees taken out in winter. He said that for most of the 30 years he had been there, everyone got maintence orders. Council inspectors would come round and there was aerial surveillance both for drug growing and over grown properties. The guy next door sold him his property he had a weekender on because it was too much to keep the scrub down. He'd been fined a few times and had enough. Dad used to go in there with the tractor and push all the swamp oaks over and Pile them up till winter and burn them off.

He commented how it went from that to not being able to take out anything more than weeds and we were talking about how the properties both sides of him now ( having sold the other one years back) were now completely over grown down the back and the fire that would occur if ever one got in either place.

He was also talking about a well known case where a local bloke wanted to take out this big tree near his house but the council refused him many times over a number of years despite having statements from a number of tree experts that it was dangerous. Some years back when the place was in flood, the wind came up, the tree went over, hit the house, killed the guy in his bed and his wife barely survived as well. The wife and family sued the council and settled for an " Undisclosed amount " which means it was shitloads and rightfully so.
    After that the council was a bit more flexible when it came to trees right near houses but still made people jump through hoops. Word has got around though that they were MUCH less inclined to fine people for taking them out even when they did know.

Guy that works for him was taking some out one weekend and a council inspector came up and asked if he had a permit. Guy said no, they are a danger to my house and I'm sure the council wouldn't want to be responsible for someone dying again like the poor old guy at XXX. Inspector left, guy heard no more about it. I think that encouraged Dad to take the chance with his.
    As I said, risk was minimal. Wouldn't make good headlines to be fining a pensioner that had lived in the area 40 years for taking out dangerous trees because he was scared of one falling on him like happened to the other guy some years back.

Not like there is a shortage of trees up there.... well until the last few days at least!

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

It's a bloody great idea but the trouble is now schools are teaching kids they can be Jack one day and Jacqueline the next and giving them time off for
    Good Idea but some kids will think that we can start the fire so we can gets days off school

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

In NSW there is the 10/50 clearing rule. In bushfire prone areas you can remove trees up to 10 metres from your structures, and remove all ground matter up to 50 metres.

‘Greenies’ have a lot to answer for regarding bush management, but anyone claiming councils are still out fining people who clear land in accordance with the rules in bushfire prone areas are sprouting BS.

People need to take responsibility for where they live and not blame others. If you choose to live in a bushfire prone area, choose not to clear your land, and choose to not be fully prepared then you have made choices that may result in loss of your structures, property and your life.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

enf (13-11-19),Uncle Fester (13-11-19),william10 (13-11-19)

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast