Thread: Teaching a cat to catch

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Default Teaching a cat to catch

I want to know if its possible to teach a cat to catch things ? Does anyone have any experience with this subject ?
    I dont think it is possible Ive seen them jump at birds but mostly they miss and bits of paper butterflys etc but how fast can they catch ? seen spiders jump on prey very quickly bu cats no never very quick and the catch in their paws instead of their mouth which is like a hawk or a eagle . A dog just goes straight for the throat with its teeth ,So why not cats
    anyone have any idea on the subject ????

Look Here ->
    Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    I want to know if its possible to teach a cat to catch things ? Does anyone have any experience with this subject ?
    I dont think it is possible Ive seen them jump at birds but mostly they miss and bits of paper butterflys etc but how fast can they catch ? seen spiders jump on prey very quickly bu cats no never very quick and the catch in their paws instead of their mouth which is like a hawk or a eagle . A dog just goes straight for the throat with its teeth ,So why not cats
    anyone have any idea on the subject ????

I always had cats a long as I can remember.
    You can't TEACH them to do anything, they do what they want and are remarkably good at that.

If you want it to catch those pesty Indian Mynas they will just stare at it a little, then focus on finding the most ideal position for a nap.
    On other days you will find the neighbour's budgie that escaped it's cage placed stiff and orderly on you door mat.

That said we have been surprised with a couple of Indian Mynas. The cat can catch, just not when asked too.

There is another thing, cats catch and let go again. Our cat can catch a butterfly several times and let it free again. Then the butterfly takes off as if nothing happened.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

eaglem (23-11-19),enf (21-11-19),VroomVroom (22-11-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Starve the thing then leave him/her in the vacinity of mice, and shabang!! Taught to catch them!
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (23-11-19)

Banned

Thanks

I was just wondering if it was possible ? Been watching superhero stuff on tv and saw a red Indian catch a bullet in his teeth , out of the air fired by Daniel Boon! Fascinating , now What if I taught a cat to do the same that would be something else ?????

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

allover (22-11-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

It's more of a mystery why you think this.
    At first I thought you just wanted to teach a cat to catch, like a ball. Which happens here all the time.
    I throw a toy and it will get caught, though the lazy arse furturds decide when it is playtime and when it is not.
    They also play fetch, though not so much these days as they have gotten older.

But it appears you want to teach a cat how to hunt. This is the problem zoos face with domesticated tigers and cheetahs.
    It's easy to breed them like puppy farms, but if they do not learn how to hunt (from their mother) and are good at it, then they are not a real wild cat and worse they will have to resort to more dangerous and softer targets like humans and livestock. Things that domestic tigers try and avoid.

So while domestic cats retain a hunting instinct, because you worship them and feed their soft lazy arses they're not very good hunters.
    Though my furturds are a Bengals, cross domestic cat and asian leopard cat. They are big cats trapped in a little cat's body.
    They are very active and as I type, one of them has spotted something in the blinds, which is good timing. I'm watching her to make sure she doesn't destroy the blinds trying to catch... ah, it's a cockroach ... something I haven't seen in this house before .... that little brown fvcker is doomed.

I've given him a whack with the stick and Freya cat has it under claw. His slow and gruesome will amuse the bengals for the next few minutes and I'll find the remains under the kitchen table tomorrow morning. They're reasonable hunters and if they catch something I'll be told. They each have a meow which says "Dad, I've caught something for you."
    And as I type... I've just been told by Freya, that she has caught the roach.

Ok... I have been gifted the roach and I have taken the trophy to the fountain of filth and dispatched it.

Some of my previous Bengals was reasonable at catching birds, one could jump about 6ft so any bird dumb enough to get close enough as a goner.
    The current Bengals are capable of catching birds but I have not taught them and they're quite hopless at it.
    Zen I let out on occasions to roam the back yard. I have trained the Magpies around here so they know which side their bread is buttered on.
    That's not hard, with a drought, they're doing it tough and their two baby maggies were looking rather scraggly and yesterday they were desperate enough to approach me for water from the hose and some dry cat food. And still they are game enough to swoop so close to Zen he could easily take them out with the swipe of a paw.

And that fury idiot was dumb enough to round up a brown snake a few months ago. Though smart enough to realise it was dangerous and keep a respectable distance.
    The snake was also very docile and tollerant of the fury idiot. He escaped while I dealt with the cat.
    The same snake appear a few days later inside the house. The other two fury idiots were in the back room and they were hanging around a bookcase.
    My first though was that a mouse had found his way inside and the bengals had been watching him.
    Usually a mouse would not last more than a few seconds in the back room so I moved the bookcase slightly expecting the mouse to make a break for it.
    He might get past one bengal, but not both of them.
    Upon moving the case no mouse came out but a snake tail did move in further. I spent the next few minutes herding cats ... those little furturds want to be part of the action and getting them safely locked up safely is much harder than actually catching the snake.

So training them to hunt. We that's pretty simple. They already want to do that. I have a few tools for training, but by far the best is a blank fishing rod or old whip antenna and about 1m of string with a feather or some other lure. I can move it much quicker than any cat can. The trick is to let catch it, reward them and make it harder to catch over time.
    Laser pointer is another training tool. The problem with it is that it cannot be caught, so there needs to be a final target and reward when the cat catches the laser.

You also need to scent train the ferals, so fresh wild bird feathers and a freshly caught wild mouse, they need to be familiar with such smells. It drives bengals wild and sharing a dead bird or mouse, I could loose a finger.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (22-11-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (22-11-19)

Banned

Thanks

Thanks trash for your experience yes training is possible but havent managed to get them to superhero stage yet , Maybe a matter of perseverance but will keep trying . The neighbours are a bit pissed of with me though ,as i started to try their cat but that didnt last long . Gone on the first try , drat .
    I think that roaches and snakes are a little slow for the training , speed and teeth are the object !!!
    Last edited by hinekadon; 22-11-19 at 05:20 AM. Reason: more

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

I've trained my two to jump on the car bonnet.
    But they only do it cause they know they'll get a pat.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,917 Times in 1,280 Posts

I had Siamese male that at least weekly would come inside with a live mouse or small bird. It would release and catch it until it was 90% frucked then in for the kill and off for the next thing to catch. It also had a fetish for huntsmen spiders and would howl until it was half way down the wall so it could play with and kill it.
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

I've taught a few to catch a .22 hollow point. But it's pretty much a one trick show.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

allover (22-11-19),Jma (22-11-19),lsemmens (23-11-19)

Banned

Thanks

yes I tried the same but they wont learn and you have to start with a new one again .

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

A few people on the Bengal groups like the idea of walking their Bengals on a lead.
    Bengals are really good cats for teaching them to walk on a leash. They have a reputation for it and they love it.
    But the humans who own Bengals have a lot of trouble getting their cats to walk on a leash.
    The problem is that you have to train the humans first. Once you have trained the hooman, the cat walks on the lead.

Of course the technical details are in the name of the lead/leash. On one end is the leader on the lead and the anchor on the leash.
    As a human you need to know you place in the world. Cat's a leaders, so if you're dragging a cat on a lead, you're on the wrong end.

The trick to teaching any cat to walking on a lead is to make them think... it was their idea.

The cat walks where the cat wants to walk and your job as the hooman is to follow the cat.
    The cat is in charge, know your place hooman. If you try to be in charge, the cat will protest and nobody is going anywhere.

Training the human; You get to say where the cat can not go. You do not tell the cat where they can go.
    You have no power over the cat other than veto.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (22-11-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

From further reading it seems to me that hinekadon is just having a go at us and is simply expressing his wish/hobby to shoot cats that go on his property or something.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Banned

Thanks

oh WOW but bob got there first well done bob yep the next door lot have a shortage of midnight screamers now and they cant catch bullets in their mouths like the super heros , tried with a few but they all failed ,, pity really could have been a good party trick good try fester hope you all enjoyed the banter cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Cats and dogs are good at training humans.

Especially in cleaning their crap, feeding them and providing a pat and a warm place to stay.

Makes you wonder if they look upon us humans as their pet........

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

gulliver (24-11-19),VroomVroom (25-11-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

There's one fuzzy little sh1t that keeps crapping in my driveway that's likely to catch a dirty big rat trap. It's in a builtup area unfortunately..

Banned

Thanks

Go for it Bob lol

Thanks

my cat walks on a leash and can sit on command, that's about it.