Thread: Spacex Test Explosion

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

Default Spacex Test Explosion

Ooops...

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

mtv (22-11-19)

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Good luck to those that fly with Elon.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

It was a test explosion, they had to make sure that it explodes properly........
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

enf (22-11-19)

Thanks

"Earlier this month, Elon Musk revealed that his Starship spaceports will float 20 miles out to see."

To see what?
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Guiseppe For This Useful Post:

enf (22-11-19)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guiseppe View Post
    "Earlier this month, Elon Musk revealed that his Starship spaceports will float 20 miles out to see."

To see what?
    Maybe to 'see' where the bits from the explosions land.

(obviously a typo for sea... but I like the other options)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

It was the coolest explosion I've seen.

Imagine if it had been liquid oxygen or liquid hydrogen instead of liquid nitrogen.... would have been a huge fireball.

(maybe next time)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Imagine if it had been liquid oxygen or liquid hydrogen instead of liquid nitrogen.... would have been a huge fireball.
    And that folks is exactly why you're seeing this test. If you have a liquid oxygen system you want to test, then how are you going to actually test it?
    Fill it up full scale with LOX and test it to the limit you expect. Not on you left nut sack would anybody do that.

You do the first in and possibly destructive testing with something cheap and harmless, like LNX. It's cold just like LOX but not so nasty or expensive.
    Then if you get an unexpected failure, the very reason you want to do testing like this, then the wreckage is much easier to piece back together to learn from.

Nobody just builds something so complex and risky and pulls it off first go.
    NASA didn't get to the moon because they did everything right first go every time. They got to the moon because they did everything wrong on the ground first, identified, learnt, corrected, retested and failed many times before they were damn sure that everything was going to work right.

The classic example is Apollo 1. They killed three astronauts. They were working out all the things that could go wrong long before the rocket was even ready to fly. Three men died on the ground and that saved three men from dying in space. You can imagine if Apollo 11 had caught fire while the LEM was in landing phase. I would have killed Michael Collins instantly and left the landing crew to work on their options.
    NASA would have been in the situation to push forward Apollo 12 with either a single man crew or automated as a possible rescue ship (they had no such rescue plan) knowing full well that the same thing could very well happen again.

There is a new TV series, "For All Mankind"
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

eeprommemory (08-01-20),enf (22-11-19),hinekadon (22-11-19),tristen (23-11-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

I have a pretty good knowledge of the Apollo program. It will be interesting (and surprising if it is) to see if it is actually accurate. Very few if any movies/TV shows regarding Apollo, are accurate. Even many documentaries.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Love his unbreakable windows on his electric ute as well

Not a good week.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

enf (23-11-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I have a pretty good knowledge of the Apollo program. It will be interesting (and surprising if it is) to see if it is actually accurate. Very few if any movies/TV shows regarding Apollo, are accurate. Even many documentaries.
    It is fiction. So really all bets are off. But yes, I would think they will try and be as authentic as possible.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

enf (24-11-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post

Nobody just builds something so complex and risky and pulls it off first go.
    NASA didn't get to the moon because they did everything right first go every time. They got to the moon because they did everything wrong on the ground first, identified, learnt, corrected, retested and failed many times before they were damn sure that everything was going to work right.
    yeah i did the Cape Canaveral history tour a couple of years back , and the guide said there were 90 rockets launched and tested before they were ready for payload testing. which doesnt include all the information handed over by the rusky and ukranian scientists who assisted the program.

Thanks

i dare NASA and Russia and china and ESA to release video's showing their fails.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eeprommemory For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (09-01-20),lsemmens (08-01-20),Tiny (09-01-20)

Thanks

NASA has always been public about it's failures so it's very likely that everything is in the public domain already. It's probably more just a matter of finding it in the sea of archives.

Russia was always secretive about their missions and to some extent they still are. It's really hard just to get close to Baikonur, I've tried twice and failed twice. The closest I got was getting off the train and then being told to get back on it. And they're really not making any serious effort to reap the massive tourist dollars that await. Instead they are trying to extort as much money from the top end. It's Soviet thinking followed up by some "businessman" who has a cousin in an office somewhere.

Anyhow, Russia is still a bit spooky about westerners wanting to watch and enjoy their work. It's a security thing, everybody is a spy.
    Getting access to their historic footage. That stuff will be a collectors item. It will be sitting in a box somewhere in a forgotten building.
    I mean shit, these people lost a space shuttle, some rolls of soviet era film are going to be easy to lose.
    Chances are in the future you will see more film from the Soviet Union but when is just a matter of luck more than anything else.

The Chinese on the other hand aren't worried about spies, their terrified of failure and loosing face.
    They very rarely announce that they are going to do something unless they are very confident of success. You can see from the number of announcements how confident they are.
    If something does fail, then they can say... "we meant to do that, it was a test." saving face.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

eeprommemory (14-01-20),enf (12-01-20),hinekadon (12-01-20),william10 (13-01-20)