Thread: Car radio a bit sick

Thanks

Default Car radio a bit sick

I have a 2002 Honda odyssey.
    Just trying to find out if anyone knows what's involved with the circuit/modules for the radio antenna in this model car, so I don't have to completely dismantle it to find out why I'm having so much trouble with reception. It's actually getting worse with extra induced noises and even a faint whisper of alternator whistle on certain channels. The antenna is traced on one rear side glass.
    I recently replaced the original radio/CD player with a nice Kenwood unit because the CD stuffed up. There were reception problems before the change too so I'm fairly sure it's not the new unit at fault.
    A mate of mine said there could be an antenna booster somewhere ... hmmm ok but where ?
    I would talk to my local Honda dealer to find out but they are not very approachable when you're only after information.
    Last edited by loopyloo; 24-11-19 at 11:50 PM.

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Boosters can be in a variety of different places and that's what I know from just one make of vehicle.
    If the antenna is at the back some where, look INSIDE the quarter panels. If it's at the front look inside the kick panels . If it's in the roof, could be under the head lining or some plastic trim.
    Also look inside the tail gate if it's mounted on that .

Have you tried Googling it or looking it up on YT? Thing with cars is they often all have the same faults and there will be info on whatever problem you are having ready to look up and get a cure for. If the antenna is one of those in the glass, Make sure it hasn't been broken. Like demisters the fine wire is fragile. Also check the antenna connection itself. May be worth a shot of WD to make sure you don't have a corroded/ dry joint.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (25-11-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

going from Mitsubishi experience , the antenna booster will be very close to the antenna itself , so probably located behind the wheel arch trim inside the cargo area

• The Following User Says Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (25-11-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    Boosters can be in a variety of different places and that's what I know from just one make of vehicle.
    If the antenna is at the back some where, look INSIDE the quarter panels. If it's at the front look inside the kick panels . If it's in the roof, could be under the head lining or some plastic trim.
    Also look inside the tail gate if it's mounted on that .

Have you tried Googling it or looking it up on YT? Thing with cars is they often all have the same faults and there will be info on whatever problem you are having ready to look up and get a cure for. If the antenna is one of those in the glass, Make sure it hasn't been broken. Like demisters the fine wire is fragile. Also check the antenna connection itself. May be worth a shot of WD to make sure you don't have a corroded/ dry joint.
    Yes I've done a lot of googling for other things as well and what I'm finding is there's heaps of info for the American models but bugger all for Australian. Trouble is the US ones are very different.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,882 Times in 1,280 Posts

I would say the rear quarter or boot or the C panel It could be left or right side or the worst spot in the roof (XC90 and the 2005 2 door Commodore) and in the tail gate (a lot of hatch backs) so in a nut shell any where in the car.

From experience dry joints in the antenna amp or a bad earth connection and some window tints can cause poor reception.

SS Dave
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (25-11-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SS Dave View Post

From experience dry joints in the antenna amp or a bad earth connection and some window tints can cause poor reception.

SS Dave
    Would have never thought of window tints but being metalised, they would work effectively to making a faraday cage.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (27-11-19)

Thanks

Right rear side glass if I remember rightly.
    It's a pain the get the internal panel off cos the back seat has to come out. lol
    One thing I can say is the reception is really bad now. Can't get many channels and they fade in and out and a bit crackly too.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

Just as thought, to prove the antenna, can you just temporarily drop in a replacement aerial outside the car. like those they attach to the side of the bonnet or boot?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (27-11-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Just as thought, to prove the antenna, can you just temporarily drop in a replacement aerial outside the car. like those they attach to the side of the bonnet or boot?
    I had thought that as well but as the OP mentioned the reception was not great before the radio was changed I am still thinking the OEM antenna system at fault.
    But no real harm in tiring it anyway.

SS Dave

• The Following User Says Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (27-11-19)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Head scratching but honda oddy rhs rear panel has a amp? behind the carpet insert and the earth of the supply goes to a screw thats welded to the panel and it rusts away and dont work any more I think I earthed the outer of the coax hard to the chassis and it put 12v back on the amp BUT I might be talking a pile of shit as the brain is getting old and it might be a different car who knows ? cheers don

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (27-11-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Yes I had thought of that.
    I actually have an old electric antenna stored away in the shed, but I'm not sure connecting it will prove too much as I don't think it will work too well without actually mounting it through a hole in the body. I remember doing something similar when I was a young bloke and found it needed a good ground connection.
    Having said that, it might be worth a shot if I can't see another problem. Getting access to the rear of the head unit is a bit of a pain.
    Last edited by loopyloo; 27-11-19 at 09:29 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    Head scratching but honda oddy rhs rear panel has a amp? behind the carpet insert and the earth of the supply goes to a screw thats welded to the panel and it rusts away and dont work any more I think I earthed the outer of the coax hard to the chassis and it put 12v back on the amp BUT I might be talking a pile of shit as the brain is getting old and it might be a different car who knows ? cheers don
    Just to jog your memory Don ....
    Here's one the same model on carsales :

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post

It's not just Honda's I have seen the same in Subaru's,Mitsubishi's,Mercedes Benz and others that have a bolt holding the AMP assy to the body.

SS Dave

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (28-11-19),loopyloo (10-12-19)

• 29-11-19, 02:06 PM