Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTF is all this "Black Friday" BS??

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

Don't forget cyber Monday.....

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,062 Times in 9,090 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    don't forget cyber monday.....

Sent from my vog-l09 using tapatalk
    f*7(%$3!@9+%!!!
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I had to go into town for a blood test. What Crock this Black Friday Crap is.
    Not one servo in town had a sale on Petrol OR Diesel and the pie shop where I got my lunch wasn't having any sales either. With all the hype I have seen I was beginning to think fuel would be .20C Litre and my Pies would be about the same.

I walked the length and breadth of the town for a bit of a look around while I was in there and not one single Crap friday sale Sign did I see.
    Probably why I love this place so much.

The Christmas Tree in the main street Looks great and so do the Decos in the shops. Heaven help any PC whining green do gooder that tries to stop anything like that round here.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

"Let's have a sale", they said! "OK, how 'bout we increase our prices by 20% and call it a sale. that'll get the suckers!"
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (30-11-19),Godzilla (01-12-19),hinekadon (29-11-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    "Let's have a sale", they said! "OK, how 'bout we increase our prices by 20% and call it a sale. that'll get the suckers!"
    That was a big scam in the Jewellery industry years ago. A couple of the big chain stores got caught out on it. Always think that is one of the most shady industry's of all. How does anyone know what anything is worth when there is nothing to compare it to. The markup must still be phenomenal.

Daughter came home happy Tonight. Single handedly moved $35K worth of stuff for the electronics place she works for. Slight improvement on her previous best day of $10K. She said it was all pretty dead by mid afternoon.
    Wonder if there was scenes in the city like the boxing day sales?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 1,059 Posts

Email from Hills offering 5% off with lots of conditions.
    I get better prices normally.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

It is illegal for them to increase prices and then advertise a discount. As mentioned, the jewelers were caught by the ACCC and given a very harsh frown as a punishment.

Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    a big scam in the Jewellery industry... think that is one of the most shady industry's of all.... The markup must still be phenomenal
    The jewellery stores amaze me. I live in a regional city, where shops that have traded for years are going broke and closing all the time. The city centre is full of empty shops, yet there are still quite a number of competing jeweller’s shops in the high rent retail area, You don’t see many customers in there, but the huge markup on every sale must be keeping things ticking along nicely.

How is it that when you want to buy expensive jewellery (I’ve never done this BTW) it’s “worth” X dollars, but if you then you have that same shiny thing valued for insurance purposes and it’s now worth X dollars divided by 10? Hmmm...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    As mentioned, the jewelers were caught by the ACCC and given a very harsh frown as a punishment.
    That's all anyone seems to get here and the bigger the company and the bigger the breach the proportionaly smaller the fine.
    Things are so weak here breaking the law and paying the fine can be a cost saving measure.

I personally know of a Developer probably getting on for 20 years ago Who made a major breach of the EPA laws. Went to court, got fined $200K. He came out of court and was grinning from ear to ear and slapping High 5's with his lawyer and taking out the character witnesses he called to an expensive drink all you want lunch.

Admitted that they thought the fine would be about $500K and that's what they budgeted on from the start. Doing what they did saved them over a Million dollars on doing things right so they knowingly broke the law as a cost saving measure. The fact they got out of it still $300K cheaper than they budgeted on was of course a big win for them not a deterrent in any way. Guy in fact said, If we knew that's all that we were going to be hit up, we'd have done twice as much!.

These companies can even kill people now and get away with a slap on the wrist and no actual consequence to the company directors when they should be locked up.

When Scumbag neighbours built next to my last place they submitted plans which were knocked back as the place was too large. They then submitted new plans which were approved and built the first place. Council despite being painfully aware of things did Fk all. They are living in it and have been for 3 years without occupation certificate or other approvals and council nor anyone else will do Jack. They didn't pay for water for a year because the Waterboard said the piping for the meter wasn't right so couldn't fit one. Knew they were using the water but wouldn't cut it off for health reasons. Insane.

How about Kick them out and give them 90 days to bring the place into conformity or put a dozer through it for them and sieze the land if they don't pay the costs?
    Exactly why there is so much shoddy building work going on. They know they can get away with it and if they are copped they can either pay a token fine or wind the company up and start a new one with no ramifications.

I wonder what these retailers still have for Cyber Monday? The crap they couldn't Move on Black Friday and over the weekend? Don't watch the news but I wonder if they were happy with the killing they made yesterday or had a sook and whinge about that too for people not increasing there profits enough.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (01-12-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    The jewellery stores amaze me. I live in a regional city, where shops that have traded for years are going broke and closing all the time. The city centre is full of empty shops, yet there are still quite a number of competing jeweller’s shops in the high rent retail area, You don’t see many customers in there, but the huge markup on every sale must be keeping things ticking along nicely.
    My Daughter last worked in jewelery store and still does when they desperately need someone who knows what they are doing.
    She Brought me home some of the figures to look at and they are going backwards at an astronomical rate. I will first and foremost say the place is run by a complete arse clown and the mis management is mind boggling but still, the place continues on defying my prediction of them being gone by xxx. I believe the father of the owner is bank rolling it and the son is into him for over $3m. Surprised it's not more actually.

The local centre has 14 jewelery shops . I don't know how may stores all up, certainly under 80. The place where she worked is a speciality franchise with a very limited product line but the markups were significant and that's buying from the company they franchise from. Can't imagine what the company itself is making.

How is it that when you want to buy expensive jewellery (I’ve never done this BTW) it’s “worth” X dollars, but if you then you have that same shiny thing valued for insurance purposes and it’s now worth X dollars divided by 10? Hmmm...

I have bought the Mrs too much designer Jewellery and the valuation always comes in at much more than I paid which makes me even more sus. Always felt like whoever I'm buying it from is laughing their arses off explaining to me what the diamonds are etc as If I have a fking clue what they were and what they were worth but what do you do? She wants something and there is no changing her mind or getting any peace and quiet till she has it. At least now there is no space left on her fingers we are over that. Of course this latest kitchen re model made a ring look bloody cheap.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,062 Times in 9,090 Posts

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (30-11-19),hinekadon (30-11-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    It is illegal for them to increase prices and then advertise a discount. As mentioned, the jewelers were caught by the ACCC and given a very harsh frown as a punishment.

Exactly, they should get on ebay and take a look at that too.

Ebay actively encourage sellers to increase prices and then show a discounted sale price to draw more customers to the site.

ACCC sit on their arse and do nothing, too many small timers doing it, too few staff to chase and enforce it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (01-12-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Black Friday is actually the day after Pension Thursday here.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

enf (02-12-19)

Thanks

Mrs dragged me out again today Furniture shopping. Was amazed at how many stores still had black friday signage everywhere. I still got 8 emails over the weekend and today pushing it.

I think it's here to stay, the sheeple are swallowing it hook line and sinker. The electronic store my daughter works for budgeted company wide to take $53M.
    They ended up taking $86M. Management couldn't even believe it themselves. She said today was somewhat busy for a Monday, she did $10K herself which is good but she said they had very little fast moving products to sell anyway. She said her store did $1m, 984 for the week.

Talking to her I'm wondering how this will affect the rest of the Christmas sales? Not like people just get endless money to piss up the wall. I'm wondering how much of the recent sales would have normally been made in the next couple of weeks and how it will affect Xmas takings? Spose it wouldn't matter. The retailers association Bitch and try and guilt trip the public for not spending enough every year.

Got a couple of candidates for Idiots of the day today. Myself and the owner of a furniture warehouse we went too.
    Spotted a couple of bar stoold we liked for the kitchen. Been to more places latley than I care to recall and everything we have seen has been last ones and no one has had the 3 we wanted. Today was no exception. Spotted one that was good and talking to the owner of the place he said it was the last one. Then went on with an anecdote about how people look on fleabay and come in wanting similar prices they can't match.

I'm standing there thinking, Why the hell didn't I even think to look on fleabay? Normaly it's electronic components, parts and maybe tools from a seller I can pick up from I buy.
    Mrs came over and said just our luck, last one. I said yes, but now we know where to look.
    Walked out down to the coffee shop and used the centres free WIFI to look up fleabay on my tablet. YA!

Not even half price. Same stuff we had seen everywhere , much cheaper and then we discovered that the prices were for 2 Stools, delivered.

Idiot award for the guy giving us the heads up to cut his own throat, 2nd idiot award to me for dragging my arse around everywhere when I could have just looked on fleabay and got what we wanted for 1/3rd the price. Can't believe I missed that! It's clearly the same exact things we have been looking at in the shops.

Ah well, saved ourselves at least $300 so at least todays trip was worth it.
    I'll try to remember to look on fleabay for EVERYTHING in future.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12